Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: Triple Diamond Winning 1969 427 Coupe - Can Am White

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 05:30 PM
sumcollegekid
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Triple Diamond Winning 1969 427 Coupe - Can Am White

Guys,

Up for sale is my prized 1969 427 390hp Corvette coupe in Can-AM white $60,000 OBO. In summary it's a Canadian car with all the legit GM Canada documents and numbers matching everything. This well optioned car is a fresh restoration with Bloomington Gold certification in June of last summer and it went Max Points (96.5pts judged, plus driving miles points) at NCRS Regionals in Dallas at the end of October. It also received both the Concourse Gold and Triple Diamond Awards at MCACN in Chicago in November. Aside from some leisurely driving around town since then, it's pretty much cherry. With just few minor tweaks to pass performance verification, I have been told by many NCRS judges that car could possibly also achieve the NCRS Duntov Award for excellence at the National event. To give you an idea, there are currently only 1,101 NCRS Duntov certified cars from all Corvettes of ALL years EVER judged by NCRS.

This was a painstaking 8 year restoration with the goal of balancing a high scoring NCRS Top Flight quality build focused on originality but with also maximizing the show quality. I'm honestly pretty broken up about selling it but "priorities call". Most of the points lost in judging were because many aspects of the car were just too nice to be considered original (chrome, paint, etc.) Everything works as it's supposed to and the car runs and sounds more like an original 435hp or L-88 car with the way the engine was built. This car is the ultimate "power cruiser" and I would literally jump in and drive it anywhere at anytime with no reservations- PERIOD.

MORE PHOTOS HERE >>> Corvette Photos

Below is my ridiculous "typical OCD Corvette owner" all-inclusive list of technical and restoration details for the car.

Documentation:
  • GM Canada documentation (Originally sold at Belmont Chevrolet/Olds near Toronto - Build Date June '69)
  • Canadian owner history and export docs to USA, multiple owner car.
  • NCRS Delivery/Build date documentation
  • Full judging sheets from 2 NCRS events one from directly before restoration (3rd flight Award) and one from post restoration (Top Flight)
  • Unfortunately, no tank sticker, window sticker, or protect-o plate
  • Owners manual/packet etc.
Factory Documented Options (I will provide the details on each specific engine casting, part number, or date code for serious inquiries) :
  • 1969 Corvette Coupe - Can Am White, Black Vinyl Interior
  • 427 - 390 hp (Verified numbers matching and date/application correct everything)
  • Turbo Hydro-matic 400 - Numbers Matching
  • 2.73 Heavy Duty Posi-traction Rear End ( AY Case Stamp - original and correct for a 427 w/Turbo hydro-matic)
    • Currently I have installed a 3.36 ratio axle in the car but the stamp is not visible during judging because it's under the spring mounting plate
    • Original assembled 2.73 ratio rear end case and gears sells with the car
  • K-66 Transistorized Ignition (Rare and Expensive option)
  • Power Steering
  • Tilt and Telescopic Steering Wheel Column
  • Power Brakes
  • Power Windows
  • AM/FM radio
  • Head rests
  • Shoulder Harness Seatbelts
The Restoration, Improvements, Notes:
Body/Exterior:
  • Full frame off restoration starting in 2011 and ending in summer of 2019. The car had ~70K miles on it when I started restoration and I drove it back to Alabama from upstate New York.
    • Documented restoration with photos and a full catalog of receipts.
  • The car received a new front bird-cage from the B-Pillar/Halo forward
  • The car was painted in PPG products Base/Clear with the formula for the correct Can-Am White (Lucky's Restorations - Huntsville, AL)
    • The paint, door gaps, and body work are show quality with a mirror finish, zero orange peel, fish eyes etc.
    • Door jambs, door surrounds, rocker areas, and other areas were purposefully matte clear-coated for a "close-to-OEM lacquer style" look. But I still lose points because the paint is waaay to nice to be "original".
  • Show chrome original GM bumpers with NOS GM bumperettes
  • All NOS or original restored exterior trim parts, rocker covers, tail-light lenses, turn signals, wipers, etc. etc.
  • The car sits on correct <2000 mile reproduction Bias-ply, F70 White letter Goodyear Speedway Wide-tread tires, all original and date correct wheels, NOS correct trim rings, NOS early '69 correct center caps.
    • Believe it or not, the car drives great with the bias ply tires and it looks amazing with the white letters. The fast steering of these Vettes makes the bias plys feel less sloppy than other muscle cars.
  • New date coded exterior glass, with the original rear pop-out glass, date correct mirror glass.
Engine/Driveline:
  • Completely rebuilt and balanced engine.
  • Original reconditioned forged GM rods and crank, TRW forged pistons 10.25:1 compression, .060 overbore (~439 ci), (Machine and Headwork by Hesco, Birmingham, AL)
  • Original fully reconditioned closed chamber cast iron heads, new bronze guides, hardened valve seats, mild port/bowl work, 3 angle valve job, stainless steel oversized valves (2.20/1.98 - Bigger than an L-88)
  • Hydraulic Flat-tappet cam .550/.550 w/274 duration on a 110 LSA, installed with 0 deg cam advance (makes good vacuum for the headlights brakes etc.)
    • Aggressive stock type of idle but not ridiculous (think L-88)
  • All new OEM spec valve train components, with a double roller timing chain.
  • The carb is the original Q-jet that was built and re-plated by a Q-jet expert. (None of the typical Quadrajet issues "quadrabog" etc.)
    • Enlarged idle, primary circuits, re-jetted, vacuum tuned specifically for my cam setup.
  • All other engine components are all original and date/application correct and all completely rebuilt (intake, starter, alternator, water pump, fuel pump distributor, coil, smog system, fan clutch, correct "dimpled" valve covers... and more.)
  • Transmission high perf. rebuild and case bead blast in Sept. 2019, new everything, 2500 RPM stall converter, all the important TH400 updates to increase performance and reliability
  • Rebuilt rear differential - 3.36 positraction (~2800 RPM at 70MPH)
  • Distributor re-curved and bushed for more initial advance (for better throttle response - 32 deg. total adv.). Vacuum advance connected like OEM but deactivated
    • Internal bronze tach gear thrust plate added to prevent wear
    • Modern replacement Transistorized Ignition box (for reliability)
    • All distributor work done by TI Specialties - the best
  • Oversized copper radiator core welded to stock Harrison tanks (+3/8 thickness, but nobody can tell). The car never over heats even in summer traffic... ever.
  • Custom 2.5" mandrel bent stainless steel exhaust on stock exhaust manifolds (Stainless Works - Cleveland, OH)
    • Probably the most un-original thing about the car, but I couldn't do a factory steel 2" - points be damned.
  • Correct date coded brake calipers, rebuilt with stainless steel sleeves and O-rings to eliminate leaks.
  • Full stainless-steel brake and fuel lines
Interior:
  • New door panels, seat covers, carpet, shift plate, and gauge trim (the important chrome trim stuff that HAS to look good).
    • A mix of Al Knoch materials and good reproduction
  • Original excellent condition restored headrests, dash pad, gauge cluster and surround, dash panels, and all other interior panels
  • Original seatbelt hardware with rebuilt/re-chromed seatbelt hardware, new fabric, with the correct GM tags and dates taken from the originals
  • New driver side power window motor and door latch
  • Original AM/FM radio with restored internals.
Performance/Other
  • Everything works like a new car except the passenger side door ajar switch. 99% on NCRS operation test.
  • I run the car on 94 octane with a little Wild Bills lead additive and it runs strong with no knocking at 32 degrees of total adv. (14 initial adv.)
    • ZERO Quadrajet related drivability problems
    • Great throttle response
    • Starts every time on the first key turn no problem.
    • Idles like an L-88 and sounds amazing with the 110 LSA cam
    • Good vacuum for the headlights and accessories
    • The speedometer is dead on, the original mechanical clock works
    • The car shifts hard with the rebuilt transmission and it handles/drives excellent.
    • I run the car without the PCV system connected and a generic chrome breather installed and I show it with the PCV hose/valve connected
    • It is required to drive the car with a tasteful reflective/insulated velcro wrap on the fuel line near the passenger side exhaust manifold to prevent vapor lock.
      • It installs in 2 minutes and comes off in seconds.
      • This cannot be seen unless you look really hard.
      • The car runs perfect in all conditions with this installed.

Last edited by sumcollegekid; 05-26-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:36 PM
steve0415
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 189 Posts

Great looking '69. I also have the CAY 2.73 rear end in my '70 LS5 454 automatic, and it is such a pleasure driving it on the highway.

GLWS,

Steve
Old 05-26-2020, 07:26 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

Very impressive!
GLWS,
Ed
Old 05-27-2020, 12:36 PM
teneck83
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Very nice. Should sell fast
Old 05-27-2020, 05:40 PM
0Corvettes by George
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

Did I miss the price?
Old 05-27-2020, 05:42 PM
Professor Fate
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

First line, $60k.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:48 PM
Sir Keith
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Fate
First line, $60k.
Canadian?
Old 05-27-2020, 09:17 PM
66WES
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 54 Posts

Very impressive car! Your ad is written like all should be. Leave no questions...........
Old 05-19-2021, 12:40 AM
mltohland
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has this car sold

Please let me know if this car is still available. mltohland@comcast.net

Get notified of new replies

To Triple Diamond Winning 1969 427 Coupe - Can Am White

Quick Reply: FS: Triple Diamond Winning 1969 427 Coupe - Can Am White