Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 Resto-Mod Chevrolet Corvette - $25,000

Old 05-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Rollochrome
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 Resto-Mod Chevrolet Corvette - REDUCED TO $16,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VEHICLE SOLD

Resto-Mod 1979 Chevrolet Corvette

Lots More Photos Here: http://imageshack.us/user/Rollochrome

Brief History: I bought this car in the summer of 2010 from a guy who had owned the car for several years and performed a very complete restoration and mechanical upgrade in 2006. He was a Corvette Club of America member and used the car on weekends for running about as well as for occasional car shows. He had the original motor replaced, and most of the restoration done both mechanically and cosmetically. After I bought it, I decided to go thru much of what he did and continue to improve upon the effort. What followed was a lot more work than I originally planned for, but I did not want to go half-way with anything. So the end result of what you see for sale today is a “Turn Key” tire burner with all the bugs worked out. It is reliable enough to be a daily driver, and powerful enough to go toe to toe with absolutely anything on the street, track, or drag strip today. My vision was to have a “resto-mod” that looked 100% stock and vintage, but was a modern high performance vehicle under the skin. I absolutely accomplished that, albeit at a much higher cost than what I initially anticipated. The vehicle has not seen a single drop of rain while under the ownership of both me and the prior owner. I have kept it in an enclosed locked storage facility 75% of the time, or on my home garage the other 25% of the time. In the three years I have owned it, I have put less than 600 miles on it. I drive the vehicle once every couple of months, in addition to the occasional local car show.

Restoration Details: This represents a quick list of everything major that was replaced on the vehicle. There were dozens and dozens of small items and trim work that were replaced, but I won’t and probably can’t list every single thing that I have done to bring this vehicle up to the point that you see it today. 90% of the work was performed by Paulie’s Performance Plus in Haslet, Texas, which is a guy that predominantly does high end restorations of performance cars of this era. He is personally a drag racer, and has appeared and competed on Pinks All Out. The rest of the work was professionally done by transmission specific, exhaust specific or electronic specific experts in their particular field. I do not have the skillset or desire to bust knuckles messing with cars. I do however like to partner with people that are the best at what they do, and join with them in accomplishing our goals, which is what I have done with this car. I have sought out the best guys in their specialty trades, and paid the premium for their services. I have almost all the receipts from the work listed herein, both from my work, and the prior owners work. The restoration/modifications have been very thoroughly documented.

Body: New deep black paint done in 2006. I have kept it waxed and covered (fitted car cover included in purchase). There is no “spider webbing” in the fiberglass and/or paint as is sometimes seen on these cars. The urethane bumpers are in good condition. The front airdam on the 79 models was bolted to the bottom of the bumper unlike the 80 model which was integrated. One of the several “clips” that holds this airdam in place is snapped, but the whole piece is secure.

Top: Removable T-Tops are in good condition. They each come with vinyl sleeve storage cases that snap closed when stored in the back of the car. When I wash the vehicle, I see a few drops of water inside, so I have bought and included a new complete set of weather-stripping from Corvette America.

Interior: Carpet replaced in 2006. Seats replaced in 2013 with new 100% leather seats from Corvette America. The driver’s seat has been sat in once since installed. Passenger seat has never been sat in. These are VERY comfortable seats and high end leather. Shift boot replaced in 2013.

Glass: All glass in good condition. Rear window defroster works as designed. Electrical motors for both side windows work.

Motor: A LONG list of work has been done here. The block and much of the work was done in 2006 by the prior owner at Owens Automotive in Dallas, then I did a whole separate generation of modifications and upgrades from 2010 on. The 2006 work is listed first: Motor is a 383 Stroker which is a 350 block 4 bolt with a 383 Stroker crankshaft, Moroso 2 qt, oil pan, Moroso oil pump and screen, Competition Cams – Extreme Energy 268, Competition Cams – Hydraulic Lifters, KB700 Pistons, Dewitt’s SP036 aluminum radiator with temp controlled automatic dual cooling fans with remote switch mounted in the glove box should you choose to power off, rings, rods and bearings, FillPro gasket set with aluminum heads, timing chain, Hooker Headers. In 2008 the following work was done: Power steering pump, pitman shaft seal, water control valve. In 2010 the following work was done: Cal Custom finned aluminum polished valve covers, ignition as detailed below, new wiring of nearly all components, spark plugs and wires, new low profile stainless steel air cleaner, carb as detailed below,

Carburetor: New Holly 750. Custom fabricated sheetmetal shield sits on top of manifold such that heat is deflected away from the carburetor thus keeping fuel lines, bowls, and fuel cooler during high heat operation. Strip HP fuel pump with regulator. Installed in 2012.

Ignition: MSD 6A 6200 ignition installed in 2010.

Exhaust: All new Pypes Performance Exhaust system with twin Race Pro mufflers installed in 2010. X-Pipe equalizes the backpressure. Electronically controlled QTP twin cut-out values by-pass the mufflers and dump the exhaust just past the X-pipe intersection, thus adding horsepower and a lot of throaty noise. The switch for these twin cut outs is located in the ash tray by the shifter, which has a flip down cover. Cut-out values open and close in approx. 9 seconds, so you can go from street friendly sound, to open pipes in 9 seconds, then back to street friendly, at the flip of a switch. The sound is “heart warming”…

Suspension: All new rear springs, spring mount plate kit, spring bolts, strut rod set, and shock mount bolts replaced by Duntov Motor Company in September 2010. Front and rear alignment done in December 2010. New control arm shaft bushings, upper and lower, replaced at this time as well. Four new Bilstein B6 HD shocks installed in 2010.

Drivetrain: New U-Joint with fitting in 2011.

Rear Differential: 308 rear built and installed in 2006. Rebuilt in 2011. PosiTrac.

Wheels: Original in great condition and polished. Wheel bearings repacked in 2011.

Tires: Brand new BFG Radial T/A tires P255/60/R15 which was a factory upgrade option for this year. This size tire will rub the inside of the rear front fender well when brand new. I have less than 100 miles on these tires, so they still rub a little at certain angles, but it is of no detriment to the car or tire.

Transmission: Rebuilt by Trent Palmer, owner of Specialty Unit Remanufacturing in Duncanville. SUR builds custom transmissions for high-end hot rods, and Palmer is a vintage Corvette owner himself. SUR took the already rebuilt 3 speed automatic and completely rebuilt it with a billet 2500 rpm stall converter. It shifts into gears with smooth but firm authority when driving at a normal pace. At the same time, under quick acceleration, it rocks thru the gears and burns the tires at each shift. Additionally, I have installed twin stainless steel transmission coolers down in the airdam area behind the bumper where airflow is brought up off the street into the engine bay. Transmission temps are monitored via an Autometer transmission temp gauge mounted in the glovebox, thereby out of sight unless you want to see it.

Brakes: New pads and calipers in 2011.

Air Conditioning / Heating: New air conditioner complete with hoses and dryer. R-12. New heater core, heater hose, heater control valve. Done in 2012.

Electrical: New 140 amp chrome alternator. Vehicle wiring is run in different locations than the radio wiring so you do NOT have the “buzzzz” in the radio inherent in some cars.

Sound system: Kenwood CD deck with unknown make of amp which is mounted behind the passenger seat. I am sure the speakers are upgraded aftermarket too, but I do not know the brand. System has a remote control and sounds great! Everything functions as intended.

Other: Already licensed as an Antique Vehicle in Texas. I’ve had a new battery installed, hood release cable and latch installed. The prior owner had the auto door switch disconnected, and that is the only item on the vehicle that is not in factory or restored operation.

I’ve got over $32k in this car. I am asking a REDUCED PRICE OF$16,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You shouldn’t have to spend a dime beyond the purchase price to drive and enjoy it. I know of no other defects in the vehicle beyond that which I have described herein. It is not a car that is on its last leg and the seller is trying to get out from under it before it clunks out. To the contrary, I have sunk $$ into this car sufficient to buy it another life and keep running on and on. I am selling it to help fund a new house purchase and think it’s time for someone else to have some fun with it. I put my wife in this car and don’t think twice about the reliability of it. It is a turn-key driver, show car, or racer, and is in need of nothing. It will run out past 140 mph, which is the last number on the speedometer, in just a few seconds and continue accelerating well beyond that point. I have only driven it that fast one time and I never want to do it again. Off the line, it is incredibly quick to accelerate and will pin you back in your seat until you decide to lift. The handling is crisp and precise, without any wander or slop. It is an awesome performance vehicle.

Terms: Cash or certified funds. I will fully assist with coordinating a pickup time at my house with your shipper. If paying with certified funds, I will wait for my financial institution to accept and clear the note prior to releasing the vehicle.

Contact: Feel free to contact me at (eight one seven) nine eight zero - two seven zero five....to discuss the car further if you would like. Please no texting. Call me and I will answer or call you back.
Attached Images       

Last edited by Rollochrome; 06-11-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: SOLD!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Mikeski
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I really like the restomods that look stock. Great job! I thought the 700r4 had 4 spd automatics. I like the overdrive transmissions for freeway cruising. GLWTS for an awesome vette.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Rollochrome
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mikeski
I really like the restomods that look stock. Great job! I thought the 700r4 had 4 spd automatics. I like the overdrive transmissions for freeway cruising. GLWTS for an awesome vette.
Thanks!

You're absolutely right. Not sure what I was thinking when I typed 700R4. This is a 3 speed auto, not 4.. Thanks for the heads up! I corrected the listing..
Old 05-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Rollochrome
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Reduced to $18,000

This is a smoking low price!
Old 06-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Rollochrome
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Reduced to $16,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could part it out and get more for it! This is a LOW LOW PRICE for this car!!!!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Mikeski
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Bump for an awesome vette and price! You should do a video of the vette. Walk around it first showing all angles. Start it up showing the interior and the headlites, horn and AC working. Rev the engine and then take it for ride around the block a couple of times. For the drive have someone else in the passenger set while you are driving and talking about this vette. GLWTS
Old 06-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Rollochrome
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mikeski
Bump for an awesome vette and price! You should do a video of the vette. Walk around it first showing all angles. Start it up showing the interior and the headlites, horn and AC working. Rev the engine and then take it for ride around the block a couple of times. For the drive have someone else in the passenger set while you are driving and talking about this vette. GLWTS
Thanks...I might just do that. I am just amazed that it hasn't sold...
Old 06-09-2013, 06:18 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollochrome
Thanks...I might just do that. I am just amazed that it hasn't sold...
honestly, I'm not. It's a '79, no matter how much money you dump into them, they always seem to sell for the same price. I don't think you'll start getting bites until you drop the price to $12,000. I dread the day I have to sell mine, I'll loose a lot of money also.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Rollochrome
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by qwank
honestly, I'm not. It's a '79, no matter how much money you dump into them, they always seem to sell for the same price. I don't think you'll start getting bites until you drop the price to $12,000. I dread the day I have to sell mine, I'll loose a lot of money also.
Vehicle sold....

You were pretty close to right....

I paid $12,500 for it.....then spent nearly $20,000 on it......all to turn around and get $16,000 for it....and was glad to get even that...

What a tail whipping..

I've never had any sort of stock, bond, property, classic car...ANYTHING lose that bad on the sell...

My bad...

Never again...

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 Resto-Mod Chevrolet Corvette - $25,000

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1979 Resto-Mod Chevrolet Corvette - $25,000