Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dave's Rolling Thunder, 71 Coupe Resto Mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 03:12 PM
YankeeStation1967
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Dave's Rolling Thunder, 71 Coupe Resto Mod

Dave Hoppers Rolling Thunder has been SOLD

Moderators have been contacted and approved this For Sale ad, special thanks to pewter99 for helping the family re: gettin' this ad up.

As most of you know Dave has passed on and the family is now offering Rolling Thunder, Dave's hand built 1971 Corvette Coupe, body off frame, resto mod up for sale. It's all new, in, out and under.

These are some descriptive highlights from Dave's Forum posts and some other comments have been added for clarity.

"I started with a 270hp, TH400, ‘71 stock coupe. Since then I have purchased a complete new interior (still on the shelf) dash, console, carpet, you name it and had the seat completely rebuilt. I had my speedo refaced and my tach converted to electronic. The 350 was replaced with a ZZ502 that has since been upgraded with Accel digital sequential fuel injection with a Gen 7 Calmap computer system, Accel 300+ Digital Ignition & Accel Dual Sync Distributor. It has Stahl side-mount headers and 3” pipes with dual Moroso spiral flows each side. The radiator is Griffin aluminum NASCAR with dual 10” Spal electric fans. The TH400 was replaced with a Bowtie Overdrives 700R4 and 2300 stall converter.

The frame has been reworked and it has the complete VBP performance plus suspension setup, new offset trailing arms, new Eaton 3.70 read end and a beautiful frame.

Mods to the body are rather severe. I have already purchased new chrome grille trim for 68-69 models. The way I'm fitting the buckets, the outside will not look any different than a 69. I still have my original (71) center grille and will use it as a jig to form a replacement out of some type open mesh. I have not decided which will look best just yet. The same pattern will work flipped upside-down at the ram air opening on the hood scoop, to give some continuity and balance to the overall look. The mesh might be stainless or powder coated black, not sure yet. As stated earlier, I want to minimize bling, but still have a "finished" look to it. My thought was to cover the lights with smoke plexi-glass slightly angled to the center of the car to help turn the air to the radiator.

I have installed flares front and rear covering 325/50 drag radials mounted on 10” x 15” AR Torque Thrust D’s on the back and 245/60’s on 8 ½” x 15” TTD’s on the front, using 1” bolt on adapters all around. I switched out to a long style L88 hood and added an air box and scoop for ram air. I modified an aftermarket front spoiler that is now integral to the front fenders/flares and also is ported for cooling to the front brakes. The headlights are now located behind the grills and the original openings are glassed in solid. The sidepipe covers are fiberglass ‘69 style, but have also been widened 1” to accommodate the spiral flow mufflers and the ends reworked to match the flares for appearance. The egg crates have been traded for inverted louvers similar to those available from Baldwin Motion in the 70’s. The T-tops have been replaced with a set of original Moon-roof tops. Oh yes, and the gas door was replaced with a Lemans cobra style filler that actually mounts on the tank."

The car is 90+% complete, has brand new, complete red interior package, a few things still in boxes, dash is in, carpets are in/ color is black on the carpet.
Seats have been completely rebuilt/recovered in red leather/installed and it will be simple to finish the interiors minor odds and ends. Shoulder belt assemblies are in as are the quarter panels, belt covers , pillar post trim, and overhead trim.

Rolling Thunder is not currently running, Dave's plan was to take it to a tuner and have them finish the setup of the new DFI system.

The following is his description of Rolling Thunders status and needs when he made the appointment with the tuner to get the car up and running 100%( Dave was to ill to keep this appointment, had to cancel and passed away shortly thereafter)
________________________________________ ____________________________

"I heard about Herzog Motor Sports thru the Accel DFI website. I have installed a new ZZ502 GMPP engine and a 700R4 by Bow Tie Overdrives (trans tv there, but not setup yet). The engine was started and run-in while carbureted, but I since purchased the Accel DFI gen 7 and installation is about 90%. The ECM is mounted in the cabin behind the dash and the main harnesses are routed to the engine compartment and connected to the appropriate sensors. I also have the Accel 300+ ignition mounted and the dual-sync distributor (not installed). I also got the Hi output electric fuel pump from Accel (but think its bosch mfg?) mounted and plumbed to the fuel-rails. None of the vacuum or sensor hosing has been run from the throttle body. None of the new system has had fuel in it. I have the Calmap software that came with the DFI kit but have never loaded it on my laptop. The serial interface is available at the center console.

The kit came with the HEGO sensor which is installed in the collector of the passenger side Stahl side-mount header. I have been advised that this should be replaced with a wideband O2 sensor? I have dual electric fans on the radiator and would like them to be switched by the ECM.

My goal would be to get the car running, mapped and on the dyno. I would be available to see it at startup and dyno."

the family has a written estimate from Herzog Motor Sports stating $2500 max to complete the needed work
________________________________________ _________________________

complete photos of this body off frame restoration from start to finish will be available to the purchaser as well as spread sheets containing every single part purchased for the restoration, all part numbers and where the parts were purchased.

to sum this up, these are Dave's own comments about Rolling Thunder:

"Mine is a specialty car with an engine too big, exhaust too loud, suspension too stiff, riding on drag radials, etc. It has almost as much attitude as its builder. It's not for everybody. "

Price is $22,500. Rolling Thunder is now located in the Nashville TN area and has a clear title, all new interior parts included with sale. Serious buyers only, the family is not interested in Pen pals, windbags, tire kickers or bottom feeders. This is not a desperation sale, no low ball offers will be considered.

it is suggested you do a search on "Rolling Thunders" archived posts here on CF in both C3 General and C3 Tech for other pics and info. There is plenty to read.

some of his pics can be seen here, note the attention of detail to the body lines, seams and gaps !! Incredible work......Dave is a perfectionist.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/album.php?albumid=7590

Linus, best of luck with Rolling Thunder, we are more than pleased it went to "the right guy", the guy that "gets" + respects Dave's dream and is willing to see Rolling Thunder's final details through to completion........will look forward to your updates and progress. If I can be of further assistance you know how to get ahold of me...all the best !!

Last edited by YankeeStation1967; 08-03-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:30 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

GLWTS
Old 07-17-2011, 05:57 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man, he did some awesome work on that car. Enjoyed his updates,etc. Best wishes and luck with the sale.

Last edited by eagle275; 07-17-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:17 PM
SHOWME
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I followed this one too,as it was built.Someone will be getting a great car!(built by a great guy!)Good luck with the sale!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:20 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed, you did a good job of getting all the information together and posting this ad with the good pics. I am sure the family is thankful for your help.

Someone will be getting a real steal on this Corvette.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:46 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is one beautiful Vette and it is a steal at this price.

CF might not be the best venue though.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:03 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Alot went into that car! One heckuva C3! Good luck with the sale.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:44 PM
daturbosix
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome lookin ride!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:02 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Old 07-21-2011, 07:17 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Wish i had the money i loved Daves vette.Dave was a great guy,talked to him many times over the years.I hope it goes to someone who will appreciate all his hard work.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Jack Freeman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed T
Thanks DZ, the family wanted to give the sale a shot here due Dave and Rolling Thunder's popularity and CF member following. They are aware of other options and will be pursuing them shortly if this ad is a bust. Thanks for your input !!
Ed, Just go ahead and buy the car. That way it will never be forgotten. We could burn a lot of rubber with this thing....Dave put a lot of sweat and cash in the car. ttt
Old 07-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

TTT. I generally do not like modified Corvettes. But this one is A++. Hope it finds a loving home given all the time, TLC, and $$s that went into it. Sounds like a bargain to me.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:09 PM
RacrX
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

TTT for one hot looking car.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:31 PM
PG99
Advanced

Are there any interior shots?

Thanks
PG
Old 07-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Linas
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, guys, so long story short, I bought Rolling Thunder. I will get the remaining technical things taken care off in US and then will ship it to Europe, where I will finish interior and remaining cosmetic details. Most likely it will be located in London, UK.

No need to say, that immediately after seeing Rolling Thunder for sale, I was determined to jump into this deal. Dave was a great guy and this project is a living tribute to his workmanship and perfectionist approach to the end result. In fact, I feel a bit guilty to get almost completed project with minimal personal input from me. Anyhow, I think, Dave would be happy to see this car finally on the road, no matter if that is in US or Europe.

Later on, I will post some brief updates and pics in the forum, how this car gets completed in US and how it starts the longest journey of its life to Europe

Ed, thanks for your support and additional information, which you provided to me!
Old 07-31-2011, 02:13 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Good for you Linas, that is one great looking vette!

I'm sure I'm not the only one that will be watching for your updates as you finish this.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:01 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Get notified of new replies

To Dave's Rolling Thunder, 71 Coupe Resto Mod