Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time Buyer; Please assist.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Sammy621
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Buyer; Please assist.

I am searching for a corvette made in or between the years of '71 and '76, manual transmission, preferably with a rebuilt engine (but a well running original engine with reasonable miles is acceptable), preferably black or silver exterior and black leather interior, chrome "luggage rack", and also an updated sound system would be a bonus. The price range I'm looking at is nothing over $15,000 and of course I would like all the proper papers available.

I realize I am being pretty specific, but if there is a car out there that fits this description of my "dream car" then it is a car worth spending my money on.

Any assistance you could give me (either in finding a car fitting the description, suggesting what I might want instead and why, or directing me to where I might try to find this car) would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Nick The Great
Melting Slicks

Well look on here, Craigslist and eBay.

Any reason why you're starting at '71? I mean, a '71 and '70 would be fairly similar cars.

Happy hunting!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Sammy621
5th Gear

I should have been more specific about the 'vette first of all; I am looking for a Corvette Stingray. As for the years, from what I have seen the prices are lower on stingrays between '71 and '76, but a '70 corvette stingray for a good price would be an option as well. As long as we are talking about years, someone told me that there is a difference in the body of the '69 stingrays and the later stingrays. Is there any truth to that?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 PM
10caipirinhas
Pro

68-72.......chrome bumpers on the front and rear (most desirable, highest performance variants and the most expensive)
73............chrome bumper on the back, and rubber on the front (smog motors, prices are all over the map, one year only)
74-77........rubber bumpers on the front and rear (smog motors, least expensive, best bang for the buck @ <$15K)

Decide which look you like the best and go from there.........

Put cosmetics first (frame and birdcage rust, paint, interior) and then mechanical condition second. It is easy to figure out what mechanical parts cost to replace by searching online and the condition of a car is a no brainer to estimate and the cheapest part of fixing up a C3..........cosmetics on the other hand will destroy you financially if you don't know what you are looking at. A $15K car can become a $30K+ car really easily.

Search the terms birdcage rust and frame rust on the C3 forum and read up on it for a few hours. Cheaper cars (<$15K) usually have one or both problems, although some will not. To some extent it may be repairable, on other cars, it is fatally expensive, and this place is littered with threads of "Ooooppppss what have I bought" from guys who did not do their homework.

I apologize in advance if you know all this..........

Last edited by 10caipirinhas; 10-06-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:30 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,357 Likes on 2,785 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammy621
I should have been more specific about the 'vette first of all; I am looking for a Corvette Stingray. As for the years, from what I have seen the prices are lower on stingrays between '71 and '76, but a '70 corvette stingray for a good price would be an option as well. As long as we are talking about years, someone told me that there is a difference in the body of the '69 stingrays and the later stingrays. Is there any truth to that?
68-69 Stingrays have side "gills" as compared to the 70-72 cars which have "egg grate" style side louver design. 70-72 has a more flared fenderwell also. Other than that, the 68-72 chrome front bumper/rear bumper cars are pretty similar body style. Short hood with wiper door as compared to later. Rubber front bumper starts in '73; rear in '74. I imagine you are looking for a coupe with that budget. 68-72 are much better collectible/resale cars than 73-76.

Also, if you find a black exterior 70-76, its been repainted the wrong color. Not offered those years.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:52 PM
stic5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice would be don't let your $15k budget rule out '68-'70 C3s. If that happens to be what you would prefer, be patient and keep looking. I just bought a very nice driver '69 4 speed with original engine for $16k. You can definitely find a C3 of ANY year in your price range in this buyer's market.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:30 PM
big_moe_pops_of_kayden
Instructor

shoot, have u found what ur looking for? look at my pics, ill sell mine for 16k, take a look and let me know. later

Get notified of new replies

To First Time Buyer; Please assist.

Quick Reply: First Time Buyer; Please assist.