Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 Corvette Project - A sad day indeed

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Bryan8412_2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 Corvette Project - A sad day indeed

Hello everyone. Let me preface this post by saying a resounding thanks to everyone who has helped me out with my project over the years. I'm sad to say, however, that multiple overseas deployments, school, and just about everything else life could throw at me has precluded me from working on her for a number of years, and I have to throw in the towel. Before I post it on eBay, I wanted to give you guys a shot, because I know the knowledge and dedication on this board, and it would give her the best possible home and shot at running again.

I bought the car in 2004. It had been in an accident so there was no front bumper, but the frame and middle body was left in great condition. The rear bumper, engine, and some other parts were sold during the build process. It is now in the middle of a frame off restoration, and would not be too much more work for a seasoned veteran of corvettes.

1. It is located in Peoria, Illinois.
2. Buyer must find a way to get it home.
3. It is as-is, no exceptions. I will try to field any questions after the sale if possible, but subject to my time and knowledge.
4. I have forgotten a lot about this project because of everything else going on, and I may not be able to answer all questions.
5. Attached is a list with most of the parts. Again, it's been a number of years.
6. This spreadsheet includes NO shipping costs. The freight to ship my trailing arms out alone was over $500. The actual shipped cost and including labor and other parts not listed puts its value at well over $30,000.
7. I am going to try to sell it as a whole project at first, so please do not ask to buy individual parts. If I am unable to sell the project as a whole, I will let you know. I just don't have the time to piece her out.
8. Attached is a recent round of photos.
9. Older photos (before the frame-off) can be found here: http://rides.webshots.com/album/134089498CSLtmx

I am looking for $25,000 or best offer which is obviously a huge hit for me. Please contact me at anytime with questions and I will do my best. I really want her to live on....thanks guys.

Bryan Paul
bryan.paul@gmail.com

Just found out I can't attach so I'll put them on my server:
ATTACH1: Parts/Cost Spreadsheet[DOWNLOAD]
ATTACH2: Recent Photos[DOWNLOAD]
Old 08-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Bryan8412_2
Instructor

Here is the spreadsheet copy and pasted in a "not so nice" format:

ITEM CONDITION PAID
1977 Corvette Frame Sandblasted/Epoxied $2,000.00
1977 Corvette Body(Middle) New Windshield Frame Included
1977 T-Tops Original Included
Jet Hot Powder Coated Headers New $300.00
SS Fuel Lines New $200.00
RAM JET 350 PFI New $5,500.00
Radiator Support New $400.00
DeWitts Aluminum Radiator and Fans New $920.00
Alternator New $100.00
Tremec 5-Speed Transmission New $3,200.00
Rear Differential (3.7) Rebuilt $900.00
Half Shafts New $300.00
U-Joints + Fasteners New $100.00
Rack and Pinion Conversion New $1,300.00
Modernized Suspension New $1,000.00
Master Bushing Kit New $200.00
Hood Original Included
Custom Gas Tank New $1,000.00
Offset trailing arms+rotors+bearings Rebuilt $1,200.00
Brake caliper kit New $430.00
Carpet Kit New $240.00
Chrome Belts and Pullys set New
Radiator Hose Kit New $50.00
Door Hinges Reman $200.00
Electrical Headlight Conversion Kit New $461.00
Master Cylinder Reproduction $130.00
Windshield New $300.00
Rocker Moldings New $290.00
Wheels Original Included
Sparco Bucket Seats New $660.00
Sparco Steering Wheel+Adapter New $500.00
Seat Brackets/Tracks New $110.00
3pt Sparco SeatBelts New $200.00
Sparco Pedals New $60.00
Sparco Shift **** New $100.00
Sparco Seatbelt Pads New $100.00
Custom Gas Caps New $100.00
Weather Stripping New $350.00
Interior Door Panels New $1,000.00
Half Shaft Loops New $179.00
Drive Shaft Loop New $98.00
Offset Shifter + Slip Yoke New $510.00
TOTAL*** $24,688.00
***PRICE EXCLUDES LABOR AND SHIPPING CHARGES!
Old 08-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Bryan8412_2
Instructor

You can still download the pictures or check them out individually:

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
Picture 6
Picture 7
Picture 8
Picture 9
Picture 10
Picture 11
Picture 12
Picture 13
Picture 14
Picture 15
Picture 16
Picture 17
Picture 18
Picture 19
Picture 20
Picture 21
Picture 22
Picture 23
Picture 24
Picture 25
Picture 26
Picture 27
Picture 28
Picture 29
Picture 30
Picture 31
Picture 32
Picture 33
Picture 34
Picture 35
Picture 36
Picture 37
Picture 38
Picture 39
Picture 40
Picture 41
Picture 42
Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Bryan8412_2
Hello everyone. Let me preface this post by saying a resounding thanks to everyone who has helped me out with my project over the years. I'm sad to say, however, that multiple overseas deployments, school, and just about everything else life could throw at me has precluded me from working on her for a number of years, and I have to throw in the towel. Before I post it on eBay, I wanted to give you guys a shot, because I know the knowledge and dedication on this board, and it would give her the best possible home and shot at running again.

I bought the car in 2004. It had been in an accident so there was no front bumper, but the frame and middle body was left in great condition. The rear bumper, engine, and some other parts were sold during the build process. It is now in the middle of a frame off restoration, and would not be too much more work for a seasoned veteran of corvettes.

1. It is located in Peoria, Illinois.
2. Buyer must find a way to get it home.
3. It is as-is, no exceptions. I will try to field any questions after the sale if possible, but subject to my time and knowledge.
4. I have forgotten a lot about this project because of everything else going on, and I may not be able to answer all questions.
5. Attached is a list with most of the parts. Again, it's been a number of years.
6. This spreadsheet includes NO shipping costs. The freight to ship my trailing arms out alone was over $500. The actual shipped cost and including labor and other parts not listed puts its value at well over $30,000.
7. I am going to try to sell it as a whole project at first, so please do not ask to buy individual parts. If I am unable to sell the project as a whole, I will let you know. I just don't have the time to piece her out.
8. Attached is a recent round of photos.
9. Older photos (before the frame-off) can be found here: http://rides.webshots.com/album/134089498CSLtmx

I am looking for $25,000 or best offer which is obviously a huge hit for me. Please contact me at anytime with questions and I will do my best. I really want her to live on....thanks guys.

Bryan Paul
bryan.paul@gmail.com

Just found out I can't attach so I'll put them on my server:
ATTACH1: Parts/Cost Spreadsheet[DOWNLOAD]
ATTACH2: Recent Photos[DOWNLOAD]
Dear Bryan,
Sorry to hear this, really, I'm in the middle of a lesser project and the money spent is always a surprise. If you could maybe share a little more on how far you actually got in the frame off that would help. I see your listing of parts and the Ram Jet for $5,500 but did you ever actually get it in the car and get it broken in or has it remained on the cradle for the past couple of years? Things like this can matter and make it easier for potential buyers to consider what you have. I should be clear that I am not a potential buyer of the complete car. I am a potential buyer of parts from your car if you decide to part it out. I own two 1977 Corvettes now and a third one would land me a divorce, but I am always in need of good parts and you have many that won't fetch asking but might fetch you recovery costs.
My thoughts and I wish you the very best of success. Sorry again to hear of your troubles and hope that all works out well for you.
Best regards,
David Howard
77Sleeper
Old 08-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Bryan8412_2
Instructor

77Sleeper-

Thanks. A lot of the details can be found in the spreadsheet and images. The frame was sandblasted and epoxied. The engine, tranny, rack and pinion, and updated suspension are all bolted on, so it is a rolling chasis. The only part left on the chassis to "do" is finish bolting on the radiator and front brackets, and strap on the new gas tank and cover. The body would then need to be put on (I have the body bushings) and shimmed, the engine bay restored/ put together, interior completed, then all the body work. Then just minor details like the pop up headlight conversion (which I have the kit for).

Please let me know if you have any other questions. And thanks for your condolences

Bryan
Old 08-13-2008, 07:11 AM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about everything life is throwing at you right now,bud.Part the car....I am not trying to be negative here,but you are never going to get 25k for a 77 that you the new owner would have to finish putting together.To be honest w/you.....w/your parts list...even as nice as it is...if you finished the car,and it was near,or was perfect..painted,and they could drive it home.....you are going to play hell to get the 25k.I'm just trying to be honest here.Where you are stopping in this project is the worst possible place,cause you will never recoup the money thrown at this car......that's a given on all out cars,but you arn't even going to get the enjoyment of driving your build,before you take a loss on your money spent.
I would seriously consider parting the car.Run it on ebay,but I don't think that it would go above 15k there.Again....not trying to bust your bubble here.I don't know everything,either,so this just my opinion,and you know about opinions.......
Old 08-13-2008, 11:46 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Spreadsheet Thoughts

Bryan, at the risk of being forward I have taken your spreadsheet and broken your costs down in to three categories. Those are engine, frame, and interior. I did this to help show what you have in costs in the various parts on the car and it helps me to sort out where you have costs burried now. I am attaching it here and I hope it helps you to see what I think I see in your build.

Bryan Spreadsheet Updated.xls

Do you have the original 77 parts for the car including engine, etc?

The parts I listed as interior can be replaced with your original stuff and you can most likely sell those off, my thoughts.

The parts listed as Engine appear to be a package that you might be able to sell to another auto enthusiast looking to spank up the power on their car. Honestly it gives me an idea of how much it would cost to do this to my 77 as well. The total I see in this area is nearly $11,000. If you have the original parts I am certain you can sell parts or all of this as a package to someone looking for the components.

That takes us to the frame portion which I left some interior parts on as they enhance the frame. This is the area where you might have trouble recovering the $12,000 you have in the car, in my estimation. If you have the original motor and can put it back in then you might be able to recover a portion of the spend. This is the compelling information that would tell me to part the car out, that is, if it were my own.

So advice is worth every penny you paid for it and mine cost you nothing so it may be worth just that, nothing. If it were me in this situation I would find an eBay jockey and start taking photographs, lots of them, and start laying out the parting out process.

I am really sorry to say this but it forced me to re-think my programs as well so I owe you a thank you and will make this commitment. If you part it out I will try my best to help you locate homes for the parts and get you as much of your money back as can do.

As an owner of two 77's and a Veteran I will do what I can to help.

Best of success to you Bryan.

David Howard
77Sleeper
Old 08-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Bryan8412_2
Instructor

77Sleeper--

Wow. What can I say; thank you! That really helps show where the money's at. If I could sell the rolling chassis by itself I would consider parting the car in a heart beat. If I had time to take it all apart, then I would have time to finish it, but unfortunately I just don't. I really appreciate the hand your lending, and if it comes down to parting out the car I won't forget it! Thanks again.

Bryan

Get notified of new replies

To 1977 Corvette Project - A sad day indeed

Quick Reply: 1977 Corvette Project - A sad day indeed