Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 LT-1 Survivor for sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Ken LK
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1972 LT-1 Survivor for sale

First I would like to introduce myself to the Corvette Forum. My name is Ken. My wife, son, and I live in Wisconsin and I am a confirmed classic car nut. For the most part I have had at least one in the garage since I got out of the Air Force back in the early 80's. My problem is that I do not like just Corvettes, or Oldsmobiles, or Pontiacs, or Fords, or Mopars... you get the idea. I like them all! My wife has finally convinced me that we have too many cars. We have decided to sell a few of them, one of them being our 1972 LT-1 Corvette coupe.

This is a documented, low mileage, numbers matching, survivor car. We have the original Tank Sticker. We also have owner history and mileage documentation with copies of previous titles going all the way back to 1978. The title from 1978 is from South Carolina. The owner of the car at that time was in the Navy and he brought the car to Wisconsin with him when he left the service. Since then there has only been one other long time owner before us.

There is NO RUST on or under this car, never was any. Nothing covered up or hidden. Other than the hood, the t-tops, and the gas cap lid, most of the paint is original. When you get close to the car you can see that the paint is checked, you would expect this from an original car of this age. The original paint still shines very, very nice. You can also see the bonding strips which you should again expect; in fact you would look for them to confirm that the car had not been damaged at some time and then repaired. The chrome and other bright trim is in very nice condition. The black leather interior is original and in excellent condition.

This is a numbers matching LT-1. The block, the heads, intake manifold, carburetor, distributor, exhaust manifolds, smog pump, water pump, alternator... are all correct. The car has 52,000 original documented miles on it.

There are only four very minor issues with the car as it now sits. The wipers are not working, the wiper door works fine but the wipers themselves do not. They worked last fall when I put the car away for the winter, I have not looked into that yet. The anti theft alarm does not work, typical for these cars. The clock does not work. Again, typical and not a big problem to fix. Lastly, The shoulder belts were removed at some time in the past. They are available and very easy to install if you felt that you really wanted them back in the car. That's it, everything else works as it should right down to the key buzzer and the seat belt reminder.

We had the car down at Bloomington Gold in St Charles last month. The car was documented and added into Scott Lindee's LT-1 survey, in fact he spent a lot of time taking photos and notes of the car for future reference for other cars. Later on in the day Scott came back with the judging chairman of the Illinois chapter of NCRS to show him the car. They then called another guy over from the Wisconsin chapter of NCRS to see it. All three agreed that the car should be judged for and would achieve Bloomington Gold Survivor status. They all also felt that the car should be judged for NCRS Flight status. The consensus was that it would easily make NCRS 2nd Flight as is and that it could possibly make or get very close to Top flight honors.

This Corvette is very quick and handles extremely well. That's what the LT-1 was all about. It runs and drives fantastic!

Also, Mille Miglia Red with the optional black leather interior is very rare on the LT-1s. Only about 50 or so of the 1741 1972 LT-1s were built in this color and trim combination. Along with the optional black leather interior, this LT-1 also has power steering, power brakes, tilt/telescopic steering wheel, AM/FM radio, and rally wheels.

Price is $39,000.

Very fair for a rare, documented, low mileage, numbers matching, survivor LT-1 in great condition and in a fantastic color/trim combination. This is what collectors of original cars look for. I do not think you would do better anywhere else. I would not hesitate to put this car up against any other LT-1s out there that may be for sale.

If you are interested in the car please give me a call anytime.

Thanks.
Ken Kaufmann
LaCrosse, WI.
608-781-3619 Home

Finally figured out the picture posting thing.

Last edited by Ken LK; 07-28-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:53 PM
ltone72
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Default 72 Lt-1

Saw it at Bloomington and took some photos. Nice car. Nice seller too.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Ken LK
Heel & Toe

Yep, that's it! Thanks for posting a couple of pictures of it and thanks for the kind words. Great event and met a lot of really nice folks there.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:55 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

I'm pretty sure the forum is not keeping you from posting pictures.

Get a free Photobucket account, upload your pictures, copy the IMG links and post them. A nice car like that should have pictures to help it sell. Good luck, it's pretty.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Midyrman
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Sounds like a very nice LT-1 in great colors. The attraction over many of the other LT-1s you see for sale is the originality and documentation.....and the condition for a generally unrestored car looks great. These cars are very exciting to drive if you have not had the pleasure. Good luck with the sale.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:20 PM
tims93
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Almost got it

Very nice car BTW

Old 07-28-2008, 08:28 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Ken,

Your car is "WOW" very nice! You should of had it judged while you were there. I was there and remember seeing it.

Good Luck with the sale Bruce
Old 07-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran

...I want the '69 T/A in the garage.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Wilross3
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Very nice, and a good price for a survivor LT-1. Looks like my '71, with great documentation. Wish I could bring her home to SC!

Good Luck!

Bill
Old 07-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Ken LK
Heel & Toe

Thanks Bruce. I was told the same thing by many people at Bloomington but it was way too late to get it in for judging. I guess you have to register way ahead of time to have a car judged at Bloomington Gold. To be honest, I had really never given it much thought before that. Oh well, live and learn. If the car finds a new home, the next owner is sure to get a quality car that is ready for judging if that's what they want to do.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Ken LK
Heel & Toe

Hey Paul. The 1969 Trans Am is a real life found in a barn car. I had been trying to buy it from a really, really nice guy for a few years. He bought it back in the late 80s off of a used car lot. He bought it, brought it home, and parked it in a storage building with a bunch of other muscle cars he had collected over the years. No kidding, he put zero miles on it the whole time he owned it. It's a PHS documented Ram Air III 4-speed Trans Am with only 44,000 miles on it. All original, never restored, and like the LT-1 Corvette all numbers match, front to back, top to bottom. Everything is original to that car. He called me back in May and said that if I still wanted it it was for sale to me only and on that day only. Needless to say we bought it on the spot. May not be another one like it left anywhere.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by Ken LK
Hey Paul. The 1969 Trans Am is a real life found in a barn car. I had been trying to buy it from a really, really nice guy for a few years. He bought it back in the late 80s off of a used car lot. He bought it, brought it home, and parked it in a storage building with a bunch of other muscle cars he had collected over the years. No kidding, he put zero miles on it the whole time he owned it. It's a PHS documented Ram Air III 4-speed Trans Am with only 44,000 miles on it. All original, never restored, and like the LT-1 Corvette all numbers match, front to back, top to bottom. Everything is original to that car. He called me back in May and said that if I still wanted it it was for sale to me only and on that day only. Needless to say we bought it on the spot. May not be another one like it left anywhere.

...INCREDIBLE!!! What I would give for it(if I had the money ). Would love your LT-1 too, but I'm pretty much outta room...
Old 07-30-2008, 03:33 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Beautiful looking LT-1 at a very good price.Good Luck with the sale...
Old 07-31-2008, 10:47 PM
jpargo
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist

Default Nice LT1

Bump for a really nice car!
Old 08-01-2008, 02:10 AM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpargo
Bump for a really nice car!
Very, very nice btw, stole some of your engine pic's as we are very near getting correct here Also, if possible...would luv to know where the car eventually goes! Thanks Muddy
Old 08-01-2008, 07:47 PM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Bump for a very nice car and what seems to be an honest description. I also love that T/A. I know someone who owns one and I have been waiting in the shadows for at least three years to snag it if he decides to sell it.

Good luck.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:32 PM
rvazquez
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 82 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Bump from a fellow '72 LT-1 owner, good luck with the sale

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 LT-1 Survivor for sale

Old 08-02-2008, 07:28 PM
drrichie
Burning Brakes

If it had come with AC I'd be on a plane right now with the cash!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Midyrman
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by drrichie
....the price would be much higher.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Ken LK
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by drrichie
Not having A/C has never been an issue for my wife and I. The car gets driven mostly in the evening after my wife gets home from work when it is cooler out anyway. Even on hot days going to shows, the tops are off, the rear window is removed, and the wind is blowing as you cruise down the road. We have never once said, "I wish this car had A/C." An A/C LT-1 Corvette in this condition with the documentation, low miles, and numbers matching engine that this one has would cost much more anyway. This is an investment grade C3 chrome bumper HiPo car priced very, very reasonably.

Just something to think about.

Ken

Quick Reply: 1972 LT-1 Survivor for sale