Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Custom Modifieds Owners.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 09:47 PM
joe78
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what i am talking about have had that great feeling also lets face it stock is stock we try to make the real deal.All the best to you.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:53 PM
TheMongoose
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd love to see a modified section. I looked all over Carlisle this weekend trying to find some. Very few out there to show. We plan to do ours just the way we think it should be done with modern technology. The mid 70's just aren't worth a ton and don't look to escalate for many years(and that 74 BB isn't worth squat based on the auctions I've seen, at least not yet). We'll save the parts for later in case someone wants to give us gobs of money for it. until then it gets a 5.3L LS1 style engine, VB&P treatment, 17-20" wheels, a new hood and probably a few more options while we're at it. Would love to have a place to share thoughts on modifying vette's. Too many pureists fo rmy taste.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:50 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TheMongoose
Would love to have a place to share thoughts on modifying vette's. Too many pureists fo rmy taste.
Put me on your buddy list ! I don't mind the purists. But I am a modifier, customizer. Heck, if I buy a $0.50 pen, I customize it for ergonomics.

Check my sig for my current projects.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:25 AM
DaBo
Safety Car

I figure that I bought it with my own hard earned money and I will build, modify, paint and change what I want for me and for noone else.

my .02

FWIW
Old 08-30-2005, 11:58 AM
84rzv500r
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I cant leave anything alone fro long

I'd like to see a fork inthe forum to deal with modifieds, suspension, body, drag race, road race....

Mark
Old 08-30-2005, 12:28 PM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I changed my engine somewhat...does that count?
Old 10-08-2005, 10:54 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default keep the thread alive!!

ttt
Old 10-09-2005, 10:50 AM
mengbar
Instructor

What a great topic....there has been some serious activity on this one.

My opinion...hmmm. I only have eyes for the C3 (68-75) girls. Notice I encluded 75 (cause I could afford a 75 vette..lol). My favorite vettes, hands down are the 1968-1972...and 1973 (only because it has the chrome butt).

I love to look at the modifieds (some guys are gifted in they're creative minds). I would never have the guts to take any above a #5 and modify it from origional. I personally think that the modifieds should evolve from damaged vettes that can never achieve true origionality with serious degrading remarks. Believe me there are a lot of vettes out there that have been in the "7th circle of repair hell". For those cars, lets keep the buy in low...and base the sale price on "creation value".

I think it's a damn shame that a fella can take a $3000 vette and pour $15,000 into it and a lot of inspiration only for some jerk says it's only worth $5000. That jerk is usually the guy wanting to write the check.lol

I think matching numbers can be taken to extremes....but I love the pure stock darlins. Then again I remember when they first appeared new on the show room floor in the local dealerships (they were not all perfect from the factory..lol). Paint, assembly detailing has evolved a lot with the help of our German and Japanese compeditors.

I'm rambling...keep up the great topic.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:55 AM
mengbar
Instructor

By the way BUZZARD...........awesome engine detailing. That bad boy looks great. The only way it could look better would be if it was in my car...lol. Bet you have a stack of Jacksons in that engine!
Old 10-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
It's a matter of opinion, but I disagree. The most beautiful Corvette I ever saw was a stone stock, matching numbers, unmessed-with original. I have never seen a modified Corvette I honestly thought looked better than an original. Looked different, yes. Looked better, no. The three I have purchased have all been unmodified, original cars (and remain so). If a modified and a stocker were for sale and sitting side by side, I'd look at the stocker and walk away from the modified.

I don't begrudge anyone doing what he/she wants to do with his/her Corvette, but I don't want to buy someone else's idea of what a Corvette should look like.

I disagree there. The vette that sticks in my mind was a 1962 Mother of Pearl white with a huge tunnel ram sticking out of the hood, mag wheels, hurst etc. I saw that car almost every summer weekend in 1970-1973 and that will always be my idea of a Corvette. There was no mistake as to what that was when you heard it pulling into the station. defintely not stock.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:44 AM
superfine69
Racer

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...27&forum_id=56

Old 10-10-2005, 08:49 AM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Good topic and interesting responses. I personally love and respect both types - stock and modified. Although, my real love/respect on the stock side is for the rare C3 cars (L-88, ZR-1, LT-1, LS5, etc.). I own a largely original and stock LT-1 vert but have really been thinking about getting a modified car so I can add and change things to my tastes and desires. It's just something I enjoy doing (started years ago when I purchased my first car - 1970 Chevelle).
Old 10-16-2005, 07:04 PM
cicconjo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If money and time were not objects I would have built a '69 from the ground up, using all the best, modern technology, but keeping a bone-stock appearance on the outside. This is what the designers would have done in '69 if the technology were present.

To me, I haven't ever seen a custom 68-72 that was physically more attractive than stock, but that's just my opinion. I do, however, think that customizing and hotrodding is a much an art form as poetry, sculpture, or whatever. But for me, when it comes to 68-72 Vettes, I personally prefer a stock appearance, and whatever performance mods you can afford.

I have a great deal of respect for the precision and patience needed to do an NCRS restoration; I watched my father do something similar with a '57 Chevy. Took many years, and many painstaking hours. At this point in my life, I'd rather be spending whatever time I have driving, rather than using calipers to determine if my air cleaner stud is the right width, or if my fuel pump is correctly date-coded. In 15-20 years, though, my tastes may change.

Last edited by cicconjo; 10-16-2005 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:01 AM
hrcantrell
Instructor

Default Just to keep it going

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Stock, modified, blond, red head, I like them all if they look good.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:11 AM
dechilders
Advanced

Default Modified

I for one love modified cars, but would never buy one. Too many unknowns for the money. Who did the work, how well was it done. I've been burned twice on modifieds and won't again. I bought a mustang years ago with a balanced/blueprinted 351C and all kinds of performance goodies. Blew the engine after 3K miles. When torn down someone had replaced all the connecting rods with high performance, except one which happen to be one of the old stock parts that failed at high RPM. Then a 79 Bronco with 460 conversion. Headers heat the starter, bad clearances, wrong engine mounts, brake lines kinked behind frame. Just too many possibilities for error and sloppy work. They looked good but would have been cheaper to have done it myself, right the first time. Then of course I wouldn't get my money back because few want to buy a modified vehicle.......Perhaps a warranty for issues would make the buyer more comfortable? Extensive inspection by an expert? I'm sure there are some ways to make it work. Looking at your car sure is tempting though. Really tempting.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:45 AM
joe78
Advanced

It sounds like you got a great deal price wise and paid the price.You must of been young and wanted it bad and I am sure it was cheap.As to being afraid to buying a mod.just use your brain.If a punk is selling a hot rod and you can tell he has no money to spend on it well you will get junk.Take a look at barrett jackson auctions and you will see millions being spent on mods and street rods.A great mod is usually built buy the owner who has the money to do it the right way they are proud and will tell you all you want to know.I am not going into this any more many here do not know the great deals they can get but what good is a great deal if you do not understand and do not have money.So if you like mods and if your a car guy you have to learn more save and find a good one.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:16 PM
hyprsprt
Burning Brakes

Received 524 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by DaBo
I figure that I bought it with my own hard earned money and I will build, modify, paint and change what I want for me and for noone else.

my .02

FWIW
that is the reason y people w/ modifieds dont get there money invested back couse like u said "i will build,modify,paintand change what i want FOR ME AND NO ONE ELSE"

Get notified of new replies

To For Custom Modifieds Owners.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:34 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hyprsprt
that is the reason y people w/ modifieds dont get there money invested back couse like u said "i will build,modify,paintand change what i want FOR ME AND NO ONE ELSE"

The guy afraid of modded cars because of shoddy work?! What makes you so sure your numbers matching car wasn't taken down and hacked together with a garage engine rebuild? Just because the mileage is low or what? How many cars had the odometer disconnected? Sure with a car with tons of documentation and a few owners you may be more safe, but most of these cars have had many owners and no records. Especailly for the DIY guy that worked on these when they were new. How many blocks have been restamped with the current surge in the muscle car market for numbers cars. You better be a damn expert at numbers decoding and know where to look. I just do not see what is so great driving around in 40 year old technology. I love the look of the cars. Not the mechanicals. I want better suspension, more power, better wheels, rims, exhaust. I want to drive the car knowing that I am not ruinning my mileage factor. I don't want crazed paint, pitted bumpers, smelly interior, wimpy motors, rust, leaks, or mechanical breakdown worries everytime you drive and whatever else has to be there on an untouched 35 year old car with very dated parts. Sure there are solid original cars that can be driven, but they are not the majority. I want it to look classic not drive classic. Not all modded cars have body changes either. So where does the arguement that a stocker looks better than a modded car come from? Especially if it is only different under the skin. Paint? Who cares. Unless the thing just sits, there is no way original paint on a car that is driven can not have cracks, chips, spiders. The better a car looks the more people will like it. The more original will appear to the hard core NCRS guys, not the casual car show guy that just wants to see some BAD cars. My head snaps when I hear lumpy cams getting goosed through custom exhaust that I hear clear across the parking lot with mirror paint and huge wheels and tires. NOT the mild mannered stocker that silently strolls in unnoticed with rally wheels (like every other vette, camaro, chevelle at the show) and a wavy body with dull cracked paint and worn interior. Just my opinion. You may have figured out, I like mods.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:58 AM
joe78
Advanced

dboz
Your right on this was for custom and mod owners what in the world would mid late 70 #only owners know can you imagine what they have to say to each other like my #'s are nicer then yours or check out my # on my big block .Let them enjoy themselves, I want car guys and HP.A site, shows,meets, need to be started just for our cars I feel we need to break away from stockers something like the world of outlaws did.Lets face it if our cars we showed together at a show not mixed in who do you think will get all the looks and questions I have been there and know.A good site with a for sale section with quality cars will start things going.Cars entered in a few auctions would start a base for pricing and will build from there.Take care.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:18 AM
joe78
Advanced

Originally Posted by hyprsprt
It is like I said you # guys have nothing to talk about except who has the best looking #'s.I see you have a 72 I can see if you want to leave it as a #car let me ask you would you put it in a show next to the 72 that is up for sale for 29k since you have somthing to say there also and let the people vote to which one they like most.We know the answer to that.

Quick Reply: For Custom Modifieds Owners.