Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kit cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 08:44 AM
SDMF
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit cars?

Are there any companies that make Corvette kit cars? I used to own a 73, and I'd love to have another early model C3, just without the poor original build quality. So do any kit cars exist, or do I just have to buy a junked C3 and completely rebuild it?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:00 PM
AndyMacLeod
Advanced

I have only seen early model c1s in kit car, no c2 and up. If you must have the c3 style, get a nice driver. Ebay has tons of c3s, all differant prices depending on condition
Old 02-09-2005, 02:42 PM
SDMF
Pro

Yeah, I look at eBay, but I never see anything promising. I want to KNOW what I'm getting. Is to too much to ask to have C3 looks with C6 technology?!?
Old 02-09-2005, 02:57 PM
JScott
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

There are companies that will build you a C3 with C6 mechanicals but you will end up paying as much or more than a new C6 to get one. Find a nicely restored car that someone has put their time and money into and you'll have what you're looking for.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:05 PM
SDMF
Pro

Originally Posted by JScott
There are companies that will build you a C3 with C6 mechanicals but you will end up paying as much or more than a new C6 to get one. Find a nicely restored car that someone has put their time and money into and you'll have what you're looking for.
Really? I've never heard of this. Do you have a name/link to these companies? I'd still be interested to learn more. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Stumpdeisel
Racer

I have a fresh LT1 and am trying to decide what to put it in, and if it's worth putting in a C3? What kind of value would a restored C3 with a newer drivetrain hold? If it's what you want I'd say build it yourself the way you want it, you'll appreciate it that much more. If you can afford to have it done by someone else more power to ya For me I just can't afford a C5 at this time, and am unsure yet if I could build an old vette on a small starting budget either. I guess we'll both see what we end up with. Good luck on your seach.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Stumpdeisel
Racer

Originally Posted by SDMF
Really? I've never heard of this. Do you have a name/link to these companies? I'd still be interested to learn more. Thanks!
There are companies who build complete frames, and you could get just about every part you'd need, but you still need a real car to carry the registration over. Many states have strict dmv laws about registering non-production vehicles. Since you need a car anyway, you might as well find one that looks like a good starting point and run with it.

Is it safe to say a C3 restore would be double that of a Chevelle or Camaro or am I way off?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:03 AM
SDMF
Pro

Originally Posted by Stumpdeisel
There are companies who build complete frames, and you could get just about every part you'd need, but you still need a real car to carry the registration over. Many states have strict dmv laws about registering non-production vehicles. Since you need a car anyway, you might as well find one that looks like a good starting point and run with it.

Is it safe to say a C3 restore would be double that of a Chevelle or Camaro or am I way off?
Thank you very much for that info. I hadn't thought of the registration and titling laws, but what you say makes sense. OK, you've given me a lot to think about.

As far as the value, I have no idea. I know to pure Corvette enthusiasts, your C3 will be all but worthless if the numbers don't match. To those who just want a well-maintained Corvette, matching numbers really doesn't mean much.

For me, if I were to undertake this project of creating a "modern-technology" C3, I wouldn't care about matching numbers or future value. This would be a vehicle for my pure driving enjoyment, a garage queen that I would pass on to one of my sons in the future. Resale is not a consideration.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:00 AM
AndyMacLeod
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stumpdeisel

From what i see, they are about the same in price dollar for dollar. Being a ex Mopar guy, i can look at this with no bias.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:17 PM
SDMF
Pro

Found this site:

http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/pages/691639/index.htm
Old 02-10-2005, 03:00 PM
SDMF
Pro

And this one, too:

http://www.crcoachworks.com/

Very cool, but not what I had in mind.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Stumpdeisel
Racer

Check these guys oout:

http://www.streetshopinc.com/frames_index.htm

There's an article in the 2/05 issue of Corvette Fever on their operation and it looked impressive, check it out.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:02 AM
joe78
Advanced

I have done what your talking about with a 78 model it is a awesome car show winner.A lot of these cars really have little value after time and number stuff means nothing but if you build a truly custom vette with a fine paint job you will love it and it will be worth money.Mine is insured for 27k have two serious people looking at it.Think a great looking c3 that can wins shows and now is a great driver all modern suspention,430hp and injected,sounds like a big block and can now kick ***.If you watched the barrett jackson aution it was nice to see the price of many cars go way up many muscle cars non matching # crate engines but fine detailed work and awesome paint jobs bring big big money.It is about time people realize that the quality of the work and what has been done to the car is worth a lot more then a #car that is not worthy to drive.I think and hope this may be the new way to go now for many cars.I would not do it to a very collectible but if you have one you will have to put a ton of money in it and really could not drive it.That is my 2cents worth look at some of my pics at the bottom some of the things that has been done to the car are there.Good luck if you need any more info let me know.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:42 AM
SDMF
Pro

I agree with you Joe. I want a car I can drive, not a monetary investment. Matching numbers means nothing when it comes to me, as long as the car looks good and drives well. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-13-2005, 06:09 PM
JScott
Pro

Check out this website. They were one of the first companies to engineer new frames for old Vettes and they now build complete cars with new technology brakes, suspension and engines.

www.carcreationsinc.com

I also found this website but do not know anything about them.

www.philadelphiamotorsports.com

Last edited by JScott; 02-13-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:15 AM
SDMF
Pro

Thanks for the links. Very interesting stuff. Question: why is it all these sites use C4 suspension for upgrading the older vettes? How come C5 can't be used? Does it have to do with the dimensions/won't fit. With the exception of the '96 C5 in that very last link, all the others upgrade to C4. I know the latter C4's had good suspension, but it seems if C5 was doable, too, you'd want to take it that much further.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:59 AM
JScott
Pro

I suspect that the difference is that the C5 has a rear transaxle which would probably require modification to the underbody. Other than that I don't know why they don't use C5 parts.

Get notified of new replies

To Kit cars?

Old 02-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Drew M
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SDMF
Are there any companies that make Corvette kit cars? I used to own a 73, and I'd love to have another early model C3, just without the poor original build quality. So do any kit cars exist, or do I just have to buy a junked C3 and completely rebuild it?
I was actually just thinking last night that it would be neat to buy a '73 and swap in a crate motor and new 5speed, and upgrade to a C4 or C5 suspension.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:14 PM
vette rod
Instructor

Originally Posted by joe78
I have done what your talking about with a 78 model it is a awesome car show winner.A lot of these cars really have little value after time and number stuff means nothing but if you build a truly custom vette with a fine paint job you will love it and it will be worth money.Mine is insured for 27k have two serious people looking at it.Think a great looking c3 that can wins shows and now is a great driver all modern suspention,430hp and injected,sounds like a big block and can now kick ***.If you watched the barrett jackson aution it was nice to see the price of many cars go way up many muscle cars non matching # crate engines but fine detailed work and awesome paint jobs bring big big money.It is about time people realize that the quality of the work and what has been done to the car is worth a lot more then a #car that is not worthy to drive.I think and hope this may be the new way to go now for many cars.I would not do it to a very collectible but if you have one you will have to put a ton of money in it and really could not drive it.That is my 2cents worth look at some of my pics at the bottom some of the things that has been done to the car are there.Good luck if you need any more info let me know.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

If I had the cash I'd do one of these: http://www.kitcar.com/lonestar/66roadster.html

Quick Reply: Kit cars?