C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Magazine and others - a disturbing trend

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Corvette Magazine and others - a disturbing trend

In todays snail mail I received a very nice advertisement pack from Corvette Magazine. Although I never had subscribed to it, I have purchased issues via news-stands and was quite impressed with the quality of the publication.

But Corvette Magazine is not unique in one way... and that's one reason I never subscribed to it. I'll get to the point soon.

here are pics of the rather lavish attempt to gain subscribers:

as you can see there are no C3's anywhere to be seen

I tallied all the wonderful colorful Corvette pics and got these figures:

C6 - 7 pics
C5 - 5 pics
C4 - 1 pic
C3 - ZERO pics
C2 - 5 pics
C1 - 3 pics

At first I thought they also dodged the C4, then I noticed one pic'd on the outside of the envelope.

Not only were more C3's sold than any other vintage of Corvette (I do know - though - that the C3 had a 15 year run) but the 1978 had a record year of 46,772 (but some industry sources have reported a total of 47,667) Corvettes produced.

And it's not just Corvette Magazine - but most of the others as well. They seem to have forgotten the C3 ever existed. About the only mag that seems to always include something C3 related is Corvette Fever.

What's going on here

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 01-18-2005 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I got the same thing the other day...
Old 01-18-2005, 08:20 PM
olouieo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury

What's going on here
I don't know Mike. I did get the same thing friday. I also was looking for a C3 and nothing.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:25 PM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been a subscriber since the charter issue. It started out pretty good but seems to be all about the C5-C6s now. I won't renew it again.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:30 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I didn't get one. I guess that's because I subscribe. Looking at the 14 issues I have on the bookshelf, I don't think that the C3s are "forgotten". There is an obvious bias towards the newer cars, but every mag is like that (that's what sells issues). They do a very good job of covering Corvette-basics, tech articles, and even some good history. Personally, I like the mag and I just sent in my renewal.

My $0.02...
Old 01-18-2005, 08:30 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

The C3 was the last series to have Duntov's "touch". I think that alone makes it something that has the enthusiasts attention.

The C3 was a series to have the most engine displacement variations:

But C3's are to be mostly ignored ?????

I just don't get it ...
Old 01-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Scooter70; I'm not just singling out CM, because I am seeing this trend with practically all the Corvette magazines. This recent mailing of theirs just verified what I I had been seeing lately.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:58 PM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i didn't get this offer, but an offer from Vette Magazine for 2 free issues, blah blah blah. i used to subscribe to Vette but let it drop and stayed with Corvette Fever. the C3 articles are declining in all the mags and one mag was enough. i use this forum and the internet to seek and get info.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default A former subscriber

When I saw the first issue of Corvette Magazine on the stands, I subscribed immediateley. I liked both the layout and the sense of "this is a quality magazine". However, by the time they had reached issue # 7, I no longer felt that it was for me. As a C-3 owner, I had hoped for more historical articles about C-3's. Certainly, there are enough "how to" and technical articles available in the other mags. When my subscription renewal arrived, I passed. I have continued to check it out at the newsstand, but to date, I have not bought a single issue. Oh well, just my 2-cents.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

How Rude!

The C3 gets no respect.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:26 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

It's the only Corvette magazine I'm currently subscribed to. There is some C3 stuff, but definitely a lot more C4/C5 articles. The amount of advertising has increased exponentially since the first issue. I'll probably let my subscription lapse this time.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:34 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Editorial follows advertising. Since the C5 and C6 are the "new" ones, there are tons of new products for them. And the C5 and C6 owners will be the ones statistically more willing to go out and drop Large Dollars on these new products. Therefore, most of the articles will be on the newer models so all the whiz-bang new products from both old and new companies can be showcased in an effort to attract owners who spend big bucks.

The C2s and C1s are eye candy that, again, attracts the attention of the folks who want to go to Barrat-Jackson or Bloomington to plunk down several hundred large on a "collectible" car.

Welcome to the publishing business. There just ain't enough money to be had in catering to C3's these days.

Give it time...
Old 01-19-2005, 12:15 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Editorial follows advertising. Since the C5 and C6 are the "new" ones, there are tons of new products for them. And the C5 and C6 owners will be the ones statistically more willing to go out and drop Large Dollars on these new products. Therefore, most of the articles will be on the newer models so all the whiz-bang new products from both old and new companies can be showcased in an effort to attract owners who spend big bucks.

The C2s and C1s are eye candy that, again, attracts the attention of the folks who want to go to Barrat-Jackson or Bloomington to plunk down several hundred large on a "collectible" car.

Welcome to the publishing business. There just ain't enough money to be had in catering to C3's these days.

Give it time...

WOW; interesting info.

I question the ability of these magazines, though, to re-attract past subscribers that got fed-up and left.

"Bad" memories are the easiest ones to remember.

But I hope you're right... in that giving it some time will result in the largest sector of the Corvette era (C3's) their due coverage.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:29 AM
Augustus
Racer

So true.. I can buy a C4 or C5 right now... but won't due to (Computer introduction/Fuel Injection/Increased Insurance.. and just the look of them.. They look good...but the C3's rule!!!

I look periodically and my last issue I believe was Corvette Fever in which they had a yellow 73 454 Vette, and One another 71 convertible that was a clone...

Give us a true Diehard C3 Mag.... I'll buy one every month!! LOL
Old 01-19-2005, 12:51 AM
standup
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
WOW; interesting info.

I question the ability of these magazines, though, to re-attract past subscribers that got fed-up and left.......
.....they'll rename the magazine, throw a bunch of C3's on the cover and hook you into a 2 year deal.........

I don't buy Vette mags anymore....they're all the same and they rehash the same articles.....I bought some early 80's Vette mags and it had the same tech tips as the mags today....except for a CB installation tip ....lots of C3's featured though.....

.....I get enough info from the Forum, the internet and my local Vette club.....otherwise, I read Cars and Parts....I like variety.......
Old 01-19-2005, 12:57 AM
codestar7
Burning Brakes

Default Rag

Yup my last Mag was Corvette Fever, Checked out Corvette Enthusiast, It was OK, I'm trying to work up the interest.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:12 AM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, when the 1st issue came out, and they had an article on the '71 LS-6 'vette, I thought, well we finally got a GOOD magazine!

Unfortunately, the next issue I bought was #8, when they showed another '71 big block 'vette. I don't subscribe either.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Magazine and others - a disturbing trend

Old 01-19-2005, 01:21 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Look at Vette magazine. I subscribe to it and there is always a C3 article - either a feature, repair / restoration in each issue. The tech talk section also seems to be packed with C3 questions and answers each month.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:59 AM
vttedrm
Safety Car

I just picked up "Vette" and there's a few nice C3's.
[IMG]
[IMG]
Old 01-19-2005, 02:23 AM
Carl Granquist
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I just think it's worth pointing out that this C-3 forum has it all over any trendy Corvette magazine. I've seen members offer up incredibly detailed photos and descriptions of projects, solutions to problems, parts & supplies referrals, etc. I could go on and on. Plus there's often a certain sense of witty humor. I'll stay tuned right here, thank you.

Quick Reply: Corvette Magazine and others - a disturbing trend