C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the hunt for new tires...need recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 07:48 PM
vettepilot68
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default In the hunt for new tires...need recommendations

Right now I have Goodyear Eagle ST's on the car...I dont want the originals...just want a decent tire that looks good. One guy recommended the BF Goodrich equivalent to the Eagle ST.

What do you all think?
Old 01-14-2005, 07:55 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I just bought Kumho MX; a performance tire that is only going to last 12-15K, so probably not what you are looking for.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

If it is for 15" wheels your choice is very limited. What size tire are you looking for.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:58 PM
PB82CE
Pro

BFG Radial T/A's

Great ride and handling...
Old 01-14-2005, 07:58 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I assume you want the 255-60-15 tires ? I have the BFGoodrich T/A Radials and I'm happy with them, I don't think there is a big difference between the BFGs, Goodyears or Firestones or Dunlops- these four are available with raised white letters, not sure if you want the white letters or all black sidewall....

You cannot expect much performance from this tire size, it will be a lot better than 225-70-15 tires (if you currently have those), but any el cheapo low profile 17" tire will probably perform better due to the smaller sidewall.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Crab
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

255/60/15 BFG/TA radials reasonalbly priced try 'em you'll like 'em
Old 01-14-2005, 08:22 PM
vettepilot68
Pro

Thats a sharpe looking 72 OHSIXX...anyway, looks like I will be going with the BFG T/A Radial...thanks all.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:22 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Pirelli Scorpion Zero is the only V-rated tire that comes in 255-60-15. It's a blackwall only.
Joe
Old 01-14-2005, 10:56 PM
i885744
Pro

2 words...Fire Hawk, oh wait is that one word, lemme look...

1 word...FireHawk. I really do love them. I have 255/60/15's up front and 275'60 15's under the flares in the rear. They perform great wet or dry. I like them much better than my old BFG radial's. Looks, handling, wear patterns, wet or dry, I think they're the superior tire.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:25 AM
pgtr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vettepilot68
Right now I have Goodyear Eagle ST's on the car...I dont want the originals...just want a decent tire that looks good. One guy recommended the BF Goodrich equivalent to the Eagle ST.

What do you all think?
The Eagle ST and the BFG Radial TA are pretty much neck and neck for the most bottom of the line entry level tire one could put on a 3k lb performance car. WHile both makers offer excellent tires - these models are clearly cashing in on decades of 'branding'. What you are getting with these tires is cosmetic performance only. Otherise it's just another hard rubber, low speed rating tire lacking in dry adhesion, strength or safety margins of a better tire. Beyond being A) the most important performance aspect of any car tires and B) easily the most overlooked area on most C3s, tires are one of the most important safety areas on the car. It never ceases to amaze me how someone can put $5K into a performance engine another $1500 into suspension mods and then turn around and put some of the worst 50 buck tires on the beast because of a sidewall treatment.

I know people get emotionally wrapped up in 'brands' and fail to look at or understand basic tire specifications or sidewall data - but to those folks - show me any tire that has worse performance characteristics than either of these dynamic duds.

At a BARE MINIMUM on ANY car beit your family van or econobox grocery getter - an all-season H rated tire w/ A temperature. Heck that's what your average cheapo sub $20K econobox comes w/ new off the lot these days. Shouldn't a vintage GT be treated to at least that much?

On your '68 you have (had?) 15X7" rally rims - the F70 OE size tire equates to 215/70R15 - in this size there are a couple few *extremely* good tires avail w/ V or W speed ratings. That's a smallish tire for 8" but works well on a 7" rims. COnsider one of those Z or W rated all-season performance tires if keeping your 68 original. Pirelli comes to mind but there may be others...

If you have 8" rims the 225/70R15 offers better choices in tires contrary to what was posted above and is considered the std tire on all C3s by current tire stds. Look at the Ford Crown Victoria interceptor tires from Firestone (PV41) or General (XP2K V). There's also the Goodyear Eagle RSAs... These are all V rated tires w/ A temperature ratings and treadwear in the 300s - any would make an excellent choice.

IF you want to squeeze 255/60R15s on 8" rims on that car (warning they may not fit pre '78s w/o fiberglass trim some do some don't) the ONLY tire left that is decent in this size is the Pirelli Scorpion Zero.

Otherwise the broad selection of decent tires is all up in the 17" diameter I'm afraid.

There's also a potential 'bargain' performer tire out there as well. Check out the Cooper Cobra H rated tires in 225/70R15 for example.

And finally there's a SUmitomo HTR200 and Michelin Pilot XGT both are H rated and in 225/70R15.

After everyone posts the usual antecdotes about BFGs and Eagle fare - look at their UTQGs for the dirt truth. Understand that a tire w/ an A temp and H or V or higher speed rating (vs S or T low speed ratings) is a stronger tire that thus offers both better performance and safety margin. It rejects heat better. And a lower treadwear rating (say in the 300s...) implies a softer compound that will offer much better dry lateral adhesion yet last for many years (esp on a vintage car that is probably not going to receive a lot of miles anyway where time and UV is the real enemy).
Old 01-15-2005, 05:07 AM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have got the special edition BF Goodrich "Dynamic Dud" all the way around on mine..see sig for tire sizes..thanks! Joe!

Old 01-15-2005, 09:23 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Top rated tire in your size is the Firestone Indy 500. Have had Dunlops & BFG's. Indy 500 best so far.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:39 AM
pgtr
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry82
Top rated tire in your size is the Firestone Indy 500. Have had Dunlops & BFG's. Indy 500 best so far.
"Top rated". Impressive claim but do tell us by who, their testing procedures and criteria and which competitors tires were by definition less than top rated. I'll give you this - these tires and others like them would likely be an excellent choice for the 'drifting' craze.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:05 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry82
I don't read too much about tire ratings but I do read the other buyers comments where they get high marks. I bought these Firehawks as well and they needed to use quite a bit of weight to get them balanced which tells you a little bit about them.

I realy do like the Firehawk Indy 500's once I got them on the car. Might not be the highest performance tire out there but for what I am asking these tires to do for me, they do very well. You have to decide for yourself what you demand from a tire. These do the job for me and I would buy them again.

-Mark.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I love my Indy 500 FireHawks.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:25 PM
JRD77VET
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by joe73vette
Pirelli Scorpion Zero is the only V-rated tire that comes in 255-60-15. It's a blackwall only.
Joe
That's what I have on my '77. They do have a small yellow scorpion on one side of the tire. They are actually listed as a sport truck tire which will give you a slightly stiffer sidewall for better handling.

They are great in the rain and aren't noisy. Great cornering too. I had Dunlops on before and the only comparison between the two is that they both were round. The V rating is good for sustained 149 mph ( like I could do that with 4.11s )

I got mine at www.tirerack.com

Jeff
Old 01-15-2005, 06:05 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pgtr
The Eagle ST and the BFG Radial TA are pretty much neck and neck for the most bottom of the line entry level tire one could put on a 3k lb performance car.

Snip---

pure crap tires. Not worthy of a Vette

Get notified of new replies

To In the hunt for new tires...need recommendations

Old 01-15-2005, 06:39 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The Eagle ST and the BFG Radial TA are pretty much neck and neck for the most bottom of the line entry level tire one could put on a 3k lb performance car.

Originally Posted by 427V8

pure crap tires. Not worthy of a Vette

I agree.... but I want to keep the original aluminum wheels, so I am limited to 15" tires. I probably buy the Pirellis the next time I need tires (it's the only V-rated tire in this size) ... like I said above, any no name brand 17" tire is better ... I wish they made the aluminum wheels in 17".
Old 01-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

"Top rated". Impressive claim but do tell us by who, their testing procedures and criteria and which competitors tires were by definition less than top rated. I'll give you this - these tires and others like them would likely be an excellent choice for the 'drifting' craze.
You have an attitude, so I will pass.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:16 AM
pgtr
Racer

Originally Posted by stingr69
I don't read too much about tire ratings but I do read the other buyers comments where they get high marks.
Regarding the comments and popularity polls on some online tire retailer sites, a note of caution. These comments tend to be antecdotal and often reflective of the group they are marketed to. It's also very likely to come to wrong conclusions if one compares apples and oranges. For example, the FStone 500 tire may very well have a higher numerical popularity and more positive comments than say the FStone PV41. However the inescapable fact is that the 500 is not even remotely in the same class as the PV41. One is a basic entry level highway radial and the other an all season speed rated performance tire. E.g. those comments can only be potentially relevant comparing to highly similar tires.

Unfortunately this raises a valid point - good objective analytical tire tests and data are indeed hard to come by. That's why I recommend folks understand not only the basic UTQG info stamped on a tire but consider what exactly an H rated tire or an A temp tire or treadwear means, the tradeoffs and underlying construction, quality, strength and safety - not just some claims of 'performance'.

I realy do like the Firehawk Indy 500's once I got them on the car. Might not be the highest performance tire out there
Aesthetically such tires look good and they'll get the basic function of a pneumatic tire accomplished. To be fair however - it's not that they aren't the "highest performance" tire - it's that despite the considerable marketing, branding, sidewall graphics and deliberate intermingling with the makers other actual legitimate performance tires and high performance tires - it's simply not a performance tire at all. THis is the same tire that is shared on basic entry level vehicles for basic transporation. It's as entry level as it gets. In fact DOT has considered upping minimal tire standards to make such anachonisms on public highways a thing of the past (Just as likely the tire lobby will block it).

but for what I am asking these tires to do for me, they do very well. You have to decide for yourself what you demand from a tire. These do the job for me and I would buy them again.
And beyond performance there's also the underlying safety and strength aspects of a basic entry level tire vs even an entry level performance tire (H+ speed rating, A temp). By considering an H-speed A-temp tire - one is looking at a tire w/ notably more capping strength. Beyond claims of 'performance' - which tire would I rather be driving a vintage 3k lb car @ 75mph on a hot summer day down the interstate? It's a very simple answer for me.

--------------------

Originally Posted by JRD77VET
That's what I have on my '77. They do have a small yellow scorpion on one side of the tire. They are actually listed as a sport truck tire which will give you a slightly stiffer sidewall for better handling.

They are great in the rain and aren't noisy. Great cornering too. I had Dunlops on before and the only comparison between the two is that they both were round. The V rating is good for sustained 149 mph ( like I could do that with 4.11s )
Jeff, Don't worry 'bout that 149mph ratings... As a V rated tire they give you additional nylon cappings that confers additional strength (and heat handling characteristics) and thus the better handling, overal strength and safety margin. You were shrewd not to be deterred by the SUV tire marketing or lulled by the cheapo cosmetic performance tires that otherwise occupy this size. While it the ONLY serious 255/60 tire choice left for a C3 it IS a very good tire! It's also A temperature rated - something you'll not see in the cheapo fare.

If you hurled $2K in suspension mods etc at an identical C3 but shod it w/ the non-performance cosmetic performers - it still could not touch a C3 w/ your tires and a good stock suspension in a performance handling comparison. (unless it was a 'judged' drifting contest - then we might be in trouble! )

Quick Reply: In the hunt for new tires...need recommendations