Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
74FLCONV
CF Senior Member
 
74FLCONV's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Manalapan FL
Default Starter solenoid...3 terminals vs. 4?

I just picked up a mini-starter from E-Stink that's supposed to fit '58 ~ 80-something SBC.

My old GM starter solenoid has four terminals (Battery, Ground, Switch, Distributor/Ignition). The mini-starter has three terminals (Battery, Switch, Ground).

What do I do with the "Distributor/Ignition" wire?

Thanks in advance,

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
74FLCONV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
71coupe
CF Senior Member
 
71coupe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Default

If the wire goes directly to the coil you might try leaving it off. I did this on my '71 & it works fine. The wire is just a bypass for the resistor wire during starting. My car starts ok without it. BTW - not sure about a '74, but a '71 bypass wire has a fabric type cover on it.
71coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
74FLCONV
CF Senior Member
 
74FLCONV's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Manalapan FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71coupe
BTW - not sure about a '74, but a '71 bypass wire has a fabric type cover on it.
Right. This wire is fabric covered. I have the Lectric Limited ignition module in place of points and there was some discussion in their installation instructions about the resisitor. Not sure if I'm going to need this connection or not...

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
74FLCONV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #4
71coupe
CF Senior Member
 
71coupe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Default

My Mallory unilite works ok without it. The only difference I noticed was the the motor would spin another revolution or so before firing. Does that ignition module require & ballast resistor or resistor wire?
71coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #5
74FLCONV
CF Senior Member
 
74FLCONV's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Manalapan FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71coupe
Does that ignition module require & ballast resistor or resistor wire?
Not sure. I believe they stated in the instructions the ballast resistor/wire could be left in place. I'll have to dig out the instructions and re-read.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
74FLCONV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:15 PM   #6
74FLCONV
CF Senior Member
 
74FLCONV's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Manalapan FL
Default

...
74FLCONV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:56 AM   #7
cardo0
CF Senior Member
 
cardo0's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: So Cal- - Defend your ideas with facts. Not personal attacks.
Default Pos + coil wire from firewall is a resistor wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74FLCONV
I just picked up a mini-starter from E-Stink that's supposed to fit '58 ~ 80-something SBC.
My old GM starter solenoid has four terminals (Battery, Ground, Switch, Distributor/Ignition). The mini-starter has three terminals (Battery, Switch, Ground).
What do I do with the "Distributor/Ignition" wire?
Thanks in advance, D. Ocean Miami, FLA
Yes read those instructions and see if u can bypass the coil resistor wire. But i doubt this since the coil type determines what voltage it needs. Our year did but HEI coils don't. Did u change coils?

Ur old solenoid (and mine) has 3 terminals and 4 wires. 2 red wires (1 from pos + batt, other to pos + junction on drivers fender skirt) that connect to large center terminal. 1 purple wire (from ignition sw) goes to "S" terminal on block side of solenoid. Last yellow wire (from coil pos +) goes to fender side "M" (or "B" ?) terminal of solenoid. There is no ground wire on solenoid - i do have a gnd wire to the starter mounting bolt. U can just cut that yellow wire and tape it back to insulate and keep it out of the way. The mini doesn't use/need that wire to the coil.

BTW my 4 sp uses a 168 tooth flywheel and though i could bolt up a GM mini i could not shim it to work. It would only stick into the flywheel. U can take a look at my comparision at http://members.cardomain.com/cardo0 pages 3 & 4. Now others with the automatic cars are using the GM mini successfully so good luck and please post what u find. I still have my GM mini and would like to use it in future.
cardo0
cardo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 08:13 AM   #8
74FLCONV
CF Senior Member
 
74FLCONV's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Manalapan FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardo0
Did u change coils?

Ur old solenoid (and mine) has 3 terminals and 4 wires. 2 red wires (1 from pos + batt, other to pos + junction on drivers fender skirt) that connect to large center terminal. 1 purple wire (from ignition sw) goes to "S" terminal on block side of solenoid. Last yellow wire (from coil pos +) goes to fender side "M" (or "B" ?) terminal of solenoid. There is no ground wire on solenoid - i do have a gnd wire to the starter mounting bolt. U can just cut that yellow wire and tape it back to insulate and keep it out of the way. The mini doesn't use/need that wire to the coil.

BTW my 4 sp uses a 168 tooth flywheel and though i could bolt up a GM mini i could not shim it to work. It would only stick into the flywheel. U can take a look at my comparision at http://members.cardomain.com/cardo0 pages 3 & 4. Now others with the automatic cars are using the GM mini successfully so good luck and please post what u find. I still have my GM mini and would like to use it in future.
cardo0
I still have my stock coil, non-HEI.

Our old starters have 4 terminals, if you count the ground terminal. The ground terminal has a short metal strap leading directly to the starter housing. The mini starter has 3, counting the ground terminal. The missing terminal is the coil/ignition terminal.

I'll be installing the starter this weekend. Stay tuned...

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
74FLCONV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:17 PM   #9
74FLCONV
CF Senior Member
 
74FLCONV's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Manalapan FL
Default

Update: Installed the starter this evening. Cranked right up without the coil wire connected. Mini-starter sounds almost like a motorcycle starter.

Thanks for the replies.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
74FLCONV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:17 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Starter solenoid...3 terminals vs. 4?
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
bypass, corvette, mallory, ministarter, prong, resistor, sbc, solenoid, start, starter, switch, terminals, unilite, wire, yellow


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54 PM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2