C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looked at a '69 L46 (350/350), 4-speed Convertible Today...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 01:07 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Looked at a '69 L46 (350/350), 4-speed Convertible Today...

For those that know '69 model year engine options, that's the L46 option 350 engine in 1969. 350hp, 380tq, 11:1 compression (per the data on the console plate). I thought the 350 started in 1970 but my info was wrong; started in 1969.

Like-new white convertible top. Blue exterior, black interior. 70K miles

My first 5-minute inspection observations:
- Looks like recently new paint with some scratches on door panel, chip along side of hood, ripple along upper rear passenger quarter panel and some bubbles up near the passenger side front fender near the windshield.
- Near flawless interior with exception of shattered passenger seat bucket back, minor crack on parking brake cover, temp gauge that reads way too cool and fuel gauge that was near empty (ok, it could have been low on fuel). Speedo seemed to have some 'bounce' that I attribute to the transducer.

Owner said it 'was his dream car' and when I ask him, he says he has had it for only two weeks and had to sell it for 'financial reasons...' My concern is he bought it cheap, painted it, and it is now for sale.

I used a 'Corvette Buyer's Checklist' from the April,2000 Corvette Fever (I keep my back issues).

Full 45 minute inspection and test-drive (I still think he bought it cheap, painted it and selling on eBay regardless):

Body Condition:
Paint - not original in my opinion. Repainted with signs of body work mentioned above

Underhood:
Engine - Rebuilt during the 8 year ownership of prior owner. No documentation whatsoever. That worries me. 36 year old matching numbers and not a stitch of documentation. No smoking and no apparent fluid leaks. Turns with the key and idles smoothly. Camel hump heads. No emissions equipment; all removed and owner does not have it. Possibly indicates prior owner 'hopped it up' and then mild resto later. Ignition shielding is present and engine overall looks very clean. Radiator support appears to have been replaced in 1991 (per date markings on underside).
Exhaust - 'rusty' appearance on the exhaust manifolds with pipe fittings where the A.I.R should have been. Pipes look recently replaced (no rust) and mufflers are stock in appearance and not rusted.
Electrical - No taped or dangling wires
Oil: No leaks, no metal and normal appearance
Coolant - No reservoir. Was there a reservoir on '69 models? Had drain hose only.

Interior:
Door Panels - Excellent
Dash - Excellent
Seats - No rips and look recently recovered. Shattered passenger seat back causes seat back to not properly fold back without effort. Owner has recovered headrests
Carpet - minimal wear and like-new
Console - shifter console looks very good with minor crack in parking brake console
Door: hinges/bushings tight. Both latches/handles/windows work with very few rattles
High Mileage Wear Indicators - Not present on keys, pedals or steering wheel
Seatbelts - Lap on both driver/passenger. Original appearance

Rust inspection: Frame had a coating and showed minimal signs of rust
Tires: New with uniform wear

Operational List:
Wipers -Inoperative. Owner says he will replace. wiper door opens so actuator seems ok
headlights - Open with good vacuum. Headlights work
Gauges - speedo bounce, very low coolant temp, very low fuel level indicated. Tach and clock work. fiber optic works on right signal but not left.
Radio - Kenwood AM/FM/Cassette works with front speakers. Owner has original Delco AM/FM
A/C and Heater - Owner claims A/C needs repaired and will repair prior to deliver. Also claims converted to R134a (by prior owner but no receipts to verify...). Heater throws good heat.
Lights - All exterior lights and flashers operable.
Tilt/Tele - Both in working order and turn signals operate when in use.
Windshield - No cracks and no scratches from wipers
Weatherstripping - Present and in good condition
Spare tire - not missing

Road Test:
Engine: runs smoothly
Transmission: firm shift, firm engagement. The shifter is a very close ratio, short throw shifter; minimal if any play. Good clutch engagement. Transmission 'feels' like an M21; some whine but not like an M22 Rock Crusher. Rear gears appear to be 3.54's (2500rpm at 55mph)
Braking: Firm pedal. Power Brakes
Driving: No rhythmic vibrations, does not pull to side.

- This car looks completely original and unrestored underneath.
- Ball joints are tight with minimal give when rocking the tire bottom/top.
- Control arm bushings, tie rods, strut rods/bushings look fine and appear to be original.
- Brake calipers all look original but show no signs of leakage. All underneath suspension is tight and original; my concern is there is no repair history whatsoever and that things may be 'ready to go'.
- According to seller, prior owner (Millionaire from Alabama) had it 8 years and it spent most of that under a car cover
- New gas tank (I assume from sitting so long with fuel) may be related to the fuel gauge registering so low.
- Exhaust showed no rust and solid
- Battery was dead. Had to jump start it but it stayed running once started. I suspect the battery is aging and that the clock drains the battery just like on my '80.

Negatives:
- All smog equipment is missing. $$$ to replace.
- Broken passenger seat back
- Inop A/C (he said he would fix it)
- Inop Wiper motor (he said he would fix it)
- Appears to have fresh paint with a few chips could be hiding more problems. Chrome looks very good on all bumpers.
- No documented history and he has had it for only 2 WEEKS!!! I can't imagine buying, paying taxes and titling a vette and then selling 2 weeks later unless he bought it for a song.
- Battery was DOA at start-up. Had to jump-start it. Could be a charging problem...
- No apparent repairs to brakes, suspension or drive train besides the engine rebuild in past 8 years. Nothing problematic at this time but it does have 70k miles... things will start wearing out.

Your input welcome. Asking price is $30K.

Last edited by TedH; 12-30-2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:16 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

The base model is a 300 HP 350 The 350/350 was an option
Old 12-30-2004, 01:20 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thx for the correction. I see it now. 350bhp option L46.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

My father had a 69 350/350. Real nice car but the 11 to 1 was a problem getting gas for. If the motor was rebuilt they might have reduced the compression some. I put in a cam with more duration and lift in his car and it helped out and really woke the car up. Nice car but his was under geared (3.36) for real performance.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:40 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else think that $30k is about double what it should be?
Old 12-30-2004, 01:41 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

the only other reason for moving it quickly is that there is a big flaw lurking under the surface.....if i were the seller i would not be ashamed to say i bought it to turn it around quickly.....we are all grown ups here...people are entitled to make a buck.....i have all my documentation for everthing i do.....this is as much of a curse as a blessing....some guys have zero organizational skills and don't keep anything... for that kind of money and it seems to be alot i would take it to a local vette specailist and have them thorughly inspect it....if he objects don't buy it....it also sounds like you have been thorough in your review of it...good luck....
Old 12-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Secret Squirrel
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

A might be out of line here but it sound's a bit pricey to me.
Is it on ebay? do you got a link?

What happened to the L89??
Old 12-30-2004, 01:46 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I figured I'd look around as I can't bid on the L89 until Tuesday. The seller of the L89 hasn't heard back from the guy that looked at it on Tues but he is sticking to his word of allowing a week.

I also think the L46 is over-priced. Maybe 15-20 but since there haven't been any apparent service on the underside suspension, brakes, and such, I am concerned.

Yes, the L46 is on eBay. See the buy-it-now price of 29,999 (he lowered it from 32K after I looked at it).
Old 12-30-2004, 01:47 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

That seems a little steep for that car.

If it had been restored inside/out and underneath with good history/documentation then maybe then it would be close to being a $30K car.

Even in the New York area where chrome bumper C3's are expensive...with what sounds like a "quickie" paint job........thats a 17K - 19K car tops.

Nick
Old 12-30-2004, 01:47 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmucker
Anyone else think that $30k is about double what it should be?
all those little things can add up. I also am uncomfortable with the 2 weeks ownership, and it's not as if there is a documented history before that. Can you make it to the upcoming Florida NCRS regional ? Aren't there typically a lot of cars for sale there?
Old 12-30-2004, 01:49 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The NCRS meet is a good idea. I figured it was approaching. What weekend is it?
Old 12-30-2004, 01:52 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

dont know about the date... check their website

BTW, you were right! Car was white when he bought it in August for $20k

OK, need to check this out. I don't know if it is the same car... but if it is... mileage... hmmmmm... need to compare

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2486293429

Last edited by PRNDL; 12-30-2004 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:58 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

How did you find out he bought it in August? If it is the same L46, he misrepresented the truth to me as he said he had NO documentation whatsoever!!!

I just checked the other car. It was white and had all of the same equipment, all records and protectoplate. $20K in August. Hmmm. slap a Maaco paint job on it for $1K and sell for $30K...

Last edited by TedH; 12-30-2004 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:04 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TedH
How did you find out he bought it in August? If so, he is a liar as he said he had NO documentation whatsoever!!!
It might not be the same car. I looked at the seller's ebay ID and checked his feedback. The white 69 vette was auctioned in August. The vin is included in that auction so it will be easy for you to check if it is the same car or not. The vin on the white 69 vert with 133k miles!!! was
194679S729298 Even if they are not the same car, it would appear from his feedback that he buys and sells cars. Nothing wrong with that, but the "dream car" story appears to be bs.

If the vin is the same, and this is the same car the most serious problem I see is the mileage discrepancy. But let's not make snap judgements until you can compare the vin.

Last edited by PRNDL; 12-30-2004 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:13 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Recent suspicions aside, it's still 10K high...
Old 12-30-2004, 02:16 PM
standup
Drifting

.....He did say he was selling it for "financial reasons"......making some money on it would be a financial reason.......

BTW, I think it's over priced.......
Old 12-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Ted,
Sounds more than a little bit shady. Be careful.

Get notified of new replies

To Looked at a '69 L46 (350/350), 4-speed Convertible Today...

Old 12-30-2004, 02:26 PM
HDIronman
Pro

Please step away from the vehicle...!!!

Car sounds identical to mine.

69 L46, M21, LeMans blue W/black int and white top.

IMHO the car is worth about half of his asking price, maybe a little more. For 30K you should be able to find a much better car, maybe even a big block. Don't get me wrong, car sounds nice but way over priced. After all it's not a concours car.

Just my .02.....

Good luck...!!!
Old 12-30-2004, 02:27 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I sent a note to the person that sold him the white L46 in August. Trying to see if there are similar features that I can compare. If I find out it is the same car... that odometer reading of 70,600 would merit a note to eBay...

Also, he has had some negative feedback on eBay for apparent misrepresentation in the past. eBay sat rating of 88.9%. I'm wary... Will advise what I hear from current owner and prior seller.

Last edited by TedH; 12-30-2004 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

If this "IS" the same eBay car, supposedly the A/C "was" working when it was sold in August. Probably simply needs charged

What scares me is if this paint is "this new" and you've noticed "bubbles", what's it going to look like in 6 months to a year???

$10K over the spent $20K and this guys doing alright

Quick Reply: Looked at a '69 L46 (350/350), 4-speed Convertible Today...