C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Quick Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 08:49 PM
EVIL_GRIM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 Quick Questions

1. What do the c3 members mean by Fiber Optics? where are they and what do they do?are they in the dash?

2. anyone know where i can get a diagram for the vacuum hose routes for the smog system. its Sniffer Time in Cali again for me.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:53 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 68-72 had fiber optics. There is a little panel in the console that indicates what lights are on, and when they are blinking.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:57 PM
Black68Vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lostpatrolman
The 68-72 had fiber optics. There is a little panel in the console that indicates what lights are on, and when they are blinking.
Actually its 2 spots on the console isn't it? my 68 still has the 77 dash in, I need to put the right one in it already
Old 12-30-2004, 12:16 AM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

EVIL GRIM:

Actually, the fiber optics were a standard feature on the '68 thru '71 models only. Deleted in '72 for offsetting the alarm option as a standard feature in this year.

There is a separate panel that sits in the center console area between the radio and shifter console plate, also integrated into the lower end of the shift console plate are fiber optic lenses as well.

These lenses transmit light that eminates from different sources like tail lamps, brake lamps, headlamps, signal lamps, license plate lamp. Each lense has a different color to distinguish what is functioning. Such as red, yellow, blue.

You can tell if any of these items are not functioning by seeing that they do not light up, or blink.

Kinda of makes the whole C3 cockpit resemble a small airplane dash like area, when lit up at night!!

Last edited by early shark; 12-30-2004 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:24 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the fiber optics are a great bit of engineering design. You immediately know whether or not a bulb has burned out. With other types of systems, you don't know whether the headlight is burned out or whether the light bulb in the dash has burned out. These other systems have to have some other function to test the dash bulbs which makes them overly complex...

Get notified of new replies

To 2 Quick Questions

Quick Reply: 2 Quick Questions