C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Name This Part!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 02:14 PM
69_BigBlock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05
Default Name This Part!

Had to pop start my vette the other day at work and jerked the car pretty hard when I popped the clutch. When I came in this morning I found 3 of these lying in the parking lot exactly where I popped the clutch. Two are about 3/16" thick, one is about 1/16". I'm guessing some kind of shim but don't know for sure. Took a quick peek under the car and didn't see anything obvious. Any ideas???

Thanks!

Ron
Old 12-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Rear trailing arm shims...the later "slotted" design as opposed to the earlier "2 hole" design. If you have this kind of shim, they should be retained by a large...6 inch or so....cotter pin through the frame.

69's didn't originally use this type of shim. Chuck
Old 12-29-2004, 02:22 PM
68raggtop
Racer

Those are for sure the shims for the rear trailing arm! You will need to get your rear aligned, or at least get the shimming back in so the TA won't move.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Chuck wins the prize! You must have a pretty loose rear end at the moment.

If you look closely you can see the head of the shims retaining cotter pin in this old pic.

Last edited by Paul L; 12-29-2004 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:28 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man I wish mine would have come out that easy. You're half way there on a rear suspension rebuild now. You better keep going.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:36 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdmick
Man I wish mine would have come out that easy. You're half way there on a rear suspension rebuild now. You better keep going.
Yea, get it fixed, I would not drive to much like that
Old 12-29-2004, 02:41 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmick
Man I wish mine would have come out that easy. You're half way there on a rear suspension rebuild now. :

Maybe pop the clutch a couple of more times and the trailing arm will come out. OR just to do a wicked HOLE SHOT
Old 01-04-2005, 11:49 PM
69_BigBlock
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I was able to get the shims back in until I can get it aligned properly.

Odd thing is that the frame does not have the hole for the retaining cotter pin. The shims are just kind of resting inside the frame "bracket".

I haven't taken a real close look yet, but during a quick inspection with the wheels still on I couldn't find the hole on either side of the car. Is it common for these holes to be missing on a '69 roadster?

Thanks again!

Ron
Old 01-05-2005, 03:21 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Corvette didn't use the slotted shims till mid 1970 as I recall. Before that, 63 and up used the "2 hole" shims. Those shims did not need a cotter pin to retain them, as the T Arm bolt went through one of the holes to retain them.

Problem was at alignment time, you had to pull the T Arm bolt to change shims.

My late 69 has the holes in the frame for the cotter pins, but they weren't used. Somewhere along the line, your shims have been changed to the "later" style slotted shims. Chuck
Old 01-05-2005, 07:31 AM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Corvette didn't use the slotted shims till mid 1970 as I recall. Before that, 63 and up used the "2 hole" shims. Those shims did not need a cotter pin to retain them, as the T Arm bolt went through one of the holes to retain them.

I didn't know that they had the 2-hole design - what a dumb idea, shim changes are nearly impossible without major frustration and/or pain..... at least they got smart and changed it....

The shim shown in the picture appears to be stainless, it's from either VBP, Ecklers or one of the other suppliers. If there are shims missing, you better order another shim/bolt/cotter pin kit - it's only $30 and comes as a complete set.

Once the shims are installed properly you should drill a hole for the cotter pin to secure the shims.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:35 AM
69_BigBlock
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

My late 69 has the holes in the frame for the cotter pins, but they weren't used. Somewhere along the line, your shims have been changed to the "later" style slotted shims. Chuck
Makes sense. Thanks again for the quick reply!
Old 01-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah....and the "cheezy" alignment shops just jammed them in, wrote up the bill...and sent you on your way. Might be why yours fell out!!
Eddie

Get notified of new replies

To Name This Part!

Quick Reply: Name This Part!