C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge lights not working...sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Musclecarmaniac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge lights not working...sometimes

I decided to pull apart the dash to fix the gauge lights. I got them to work, as I found an unplugged connection and a missing fuse in the fusebox. But they only work when the parking lights are on, not when you fully pull out the switch to activate the headlights. They then turn off again. I was thinking bad headlight switch, but the headlights do come on like they are supposed to. Only the dash lights fail to light up. Ideas??

(I think the previous owner, who failed to mention any of this, knew of the problem due to the "missing" fuse, and the dash lights were already out when I bought the car)

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by Musclecarmaniac; 12-23-2004 at 09:35 PM. Reason: adding year 1977
Old 12-23-2004, 05:47 PM
cchristo
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://iotech.no/corvette/technical/...tics/index.htm

This might get you started in the right direction.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:34 PM
Musclecarmaniac
Instructor

thanks a bunch, but I think I might need more trouble shooting suggestions.

I called the old man, (Dads are great) and he thinks it is the headlight switch and the previous owner mounted the gauge's power wire on the parking light terminal instead of the head light terminal. Any electic experts out there in Vetteland know?

Help! I want to finish tomorrow. My C3 dash and interior look like C3PO after he walked in on the Stormtroopers.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:36 PM
Musclecarmaniac
Instructor

Originally Posted by cchristo
http://iotech.no/corvette/technical/...tics/index.htm

This might get you started in the right direction.

This might help after I get it apart. Do you have it in 1977? Cause it looks different than mine. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2004, 10:25 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

You say the dash lights and the parking lights both operate in the parking switch position? When you pull the switch to headlight operation the dash lights go out, but what about the parking lights, do they go out too?
Old 12-23-2004, 10:48 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

I had the same problem that turned out to be the HL switch. The rheostat portion of it goes bad sometimes.

I tested it by the following:

You can take a jumper wire from the "ign on" block in the fuse panel and try putting power to one side of the fuse socket marked "inst lights". I had a jumper with a fuse in it and a spade connector on each end. I can't remember if it was the 2 prongs on the right or left side of the instr light fuse holder that I jumped to, but with that set up, the instrument lights would come on when the ignition was on.

When my new headlamp switch arrived, I replaced it and removed the jumper. Now the dash lights work as they should.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:13 PM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by isosceles
I had the same problem that turned out to be the HL switch. The rheostat portion of it goes bad sometimes.

I tested it by the following:

You can take a jumper wire from the "ign on" block in the fuse panel and try putting power to one side of the fuse socket marked "inst lights". I had a jumper with a fuse in it and a spade connector on each end. I can't remember if it was the 2 prongs on the right or left side of the instr light fuse holder that I jumped to, but with that set up, the instrument lights would come on when the ignition was on.

When my new headlamp switch arrived, I replaced it and removed the jumper. Now the dash lights work as they should.

Old 12-24-2004, 06:40 PM
Musclecarmaniac
Instructor

Thanks!

I will give it a shot the day after Xmas as it is too cold. Snowed here in Sugar Land Texas 1st time in 15 years!

Any one else want to chime in? Or is everyone in agreement that is the probable cause?
Old 12-26-2004, 08:44 PM
Musclecarmaniac
Instructor

I took the dash off to get at the switch. I decided to try to hook up the gauge wire to a different terminal and WALLAH! I now have gauge lights. Funny thing is that the HL switch looks nothing like the pics of a 77 HL switch. It looks an older fashioned type, with 4 copper colored terminals on a copper plate. I think it might even be a Ford as it looks kinda like my old 65 Stang's switch. Ecklers says this is what should be in my car:

But it was WAY more simple. Imagine a 3" long" folded copper plate with four terminals, and the switch **** itself. Sounds like the previous owner didn't want to spring for the $12.99 switch at NAPA
Old 12-28-2004, 02:28 AM
EVIL_GRIM
Racer

had same problem on my 79, still do to a point. anyways i replaced the switch and somehow got my low beams to work. then my interior lights started working and then all of a sudden it all stopped and no lights (interior or exterior) work except for the headlights. i think i have a bad ground which is causing most of my on and off problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Gauge lights not working...sometimes

Quick Reply: Gauge lights not working...sometimes