C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashpad Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 10:09 PM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dashpad Removal

What all is connected to the underside of the dashpad on a '75? I want to replace my 30 year old radio speakers. Is it sealed in any way to the inside of the windshield? I have never removed the dashpad or the dash/gauges/speedo/etc.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:25 PM
vette_newb
Instructor

same question here with a '74....
Old 12-11-2004, 10:33 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be able to take the right side map panel off, that will get the passenger side speaker.

The drivers side vertical windshield panel need to be removed, the screws in the top of the center bezel and the pad center screw (at the firewall). This will allow you to lift the pad high enough to change the speaker.

Not that hard.

Hope this helps.

Terry
Old 12-11-2004, 10:39 PM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the speakers mount to a bracket that is screwed to the underneath of dash pad, first you need to take off the pillar post trims the the top trim (by the rearview mirror,then remove the screws along the top of the lower dashes- (the tach and speedo side and the passenger side map pocket) 6 screws in all and 6 clips that wedge the windshield side,once you pull out the map pocket and the 6 screws then it comes right out-took me 3/4 of a hour to do the same thing , you can repair all this stuff if is banged up and re paint with the die/paint,matches perfect-see my post on dash repair for photos on the same thing,, i used leatherque repair filler i learned of last week and im puttin her back tog as soon as i get a actuator for the kick panel----
Old 12-11-2004, 11:39 PM
etech152
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 1" crack right in the middle on top of my 69 Corvette Convertible dash pad, I thought about having a local company (Classic Auto & Vynal Repair) repair it, however I saw this thread and I was wondering how hard is it to simply replace the dash pad with a New one? The local Corvette shop said it takes about 30 minutes and is not too hard to do (what do I need to do to replace it myself)?

Old 12-11-2004, 11:52 PM
carl a
Safety Car

can you post a photo of the crack? if so ,, i could answer you better!- if i added up all the parts i repaired its well over a grand- the pads a couple hundred at least,,but if the hard plastic i would rather fix a good quality part than replace with a re-po ---i wonder how the re-production map pocket /right side lower dash repo quality is?? lot of stuff there, vent mech ect..- the crack filler i used from leatherique is great stuff and you probably put some backing behind that crack and fill er up,,, heck the sides of my map pocket were missing plastic backing,,all that was there in the corners were the skins-------i used a old credit card and slipped it inbetween the skin and the foam backing ,,,j.b welded in place and clamped overnight,,, next day i filled in with leatherique and the thing came out better than i thought it would,,,,i actually amazed myself!!!!!!post a photo and lets see how bad that pad is
Old 12-12-2004, 10:53 AM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Carl a: Thanks for the info and pic. Nice passenger side door panel.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:35 PM
carl a
Safety Car

thanks !!(about the door panel,)every part of the interior will look show quality,when im done,,,actually im going to order a acuator for the passenger side re-cirulate door monday,,so im waiting till that comes (end of week )before i re-install parts,,,i have posted the finished products under the post -''CRACK REPAIR//DID CLEAR COAT TODAY''--------- sits on the 2nd page here if you wanna see more photos,,,this all started with a post on fixing speaker hole tears and i tore ths all apart for the dash pad and went nuts on it all,,,did the rear deck area last yearso this year im doing the frt--saved a ton by fixing the origional parts and the re-production are not of same quality
Old 12-12-2004, 03:10 PM
etech152
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The car is in the shop getting a few minor things done. It will be there all week so, I'll try to remember to post a photo when I get the car back.

Get notified of new replies

To Dashpad Removal

Quick Reply: Dashpad Removal