C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Merlin for sale again?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 12:15 PM
blown454
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Merlin for sale again?

I ran across this ad this morning. Don't know if this is an older ad or what as there's no listing date.

http://www.dealsonwheels.com/search/...utos__ID/77948
Old 12-10-2004, 12:43 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

They are planning on auctioning it off at the Barrett Jackson auction...
Old 12-10-2004, 12:51 PM
big632
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someones on crack,260k invested. give me a break?
Old 12-10-2004, 01:25 PM
1970 Dave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by big632

"I see nothing" "I know nothing"

SEMPER FI--1970 Dave
Old 12-10-2004, 02:02 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last time I saw it for sale, they still had not gotten it dialed in with the tuning. Any updates? I love that car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of that had to be labor...

By the way, "Merlin" in the thread title will guarantee at least 100 posts...
Old 12-10-2004, 02:30 PM
big632
Burning Brakes

Z-Man, I know I think its funny the cult following of that car.Beautiful car ,just execution or purpose flawed.To me its no big deal. Cant drag it, roadrace it,What? I have seen many more cars on this forum that I thought were way nicer .There was a yellow one I saw the other day on a post that was drop dead beautiful.I myself only appreciate what it takes to build one yourself,Then you have my respect no matter how it turns out. Anyone with a ck book with money can buy someone elses work.Nothing wrong with that as I have plenty of friends who tell me they have more money than ability.To me there is no satisfaction in the finished car because you didnt have to work on it. Diff strokes for diff folks IMO.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:29 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Whoo-Hoo! Another "Merlin" thread...
Old 12-10-2004, 03:32 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Dude,
It does get tiresome.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:50 PM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Old 12-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

This particular topic falls into the category of what mufflers to use or questions about 17" TT wheels. They just don't go away.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:09 PM
68 Yellow 468
Racer

Z-Man, I know I think its funny the cult following of that car.Beautiful car ,just execution or purpose flawed.To me its no big deal. Cant drag it, roadrace it,What? I have seen many more cars on this forum that I thought were way nicer .There was a yellow one I saw the other day on a post that was drop dead beautiful.I myself only appreciate what it takes to build one yourself,Then you have my respect no matter how it turns out. Anyone with a ck book with money can buy someone elses work.Nothing wrong with that as I have plenty of friends who tell me they have more money than ability.To me there is no satisfaction in the finished car because you didnt have to work on it. Diff strokes for diff folks IMO.
I wonder if that yellow one is mine? Either way, I can certainly appreciate your perspective on the matter.
Yes, I bought it as you see it, and I did that for a very specific reason. I have done the projects that took (literally) years to complete, buckets of money, and frustration beyond belief. Although the journey is something in itself, I found the destination to be much sweeter (and my wife would agree with that).
That, and the older I become, the more time I value with my family.
I don't plan to jump into any more projects. If my pocket book can't purchase it, I'm not doing it.

Bryan
Old 12-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 300ZXTwinTurbo
I wonder if that yellow one is mine? Either way, I can certainly appreciate your perspective on the matter.
Yes, I bought it as you see it, and I did that for a very specific reason. I have done the projects that took (literally) years to complete, buckets of money, and frustration beyond belief. Although the journey is something in itself, I found the destination to be much sweeter (and my wife would agree with that).
I don't plan to jump into any more projects. If my pocket book can't purchase it, I'm not doing it.

Bryan
Bryan, I really like your car, that is some very proffesional work carried out throughout it. Must attract alot of attention
Old 12-10-2004, 04:42 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 300ZXTwinTurbo

Bryan
My vette was almost done when I bought it, only needing a top and trailing arms. I was still trying to finish an 8-year restoration of a 68 Firebird and didn't want another project, I wanted something to enjoy right off the bat. So I paid someone to do the top and bought pre-assembled trailing arms from Bairs, and in a short time it was ready to go. Joe

PS, 300ZX that is a great looking vette!
Old 12-10-2004, 04:44 PM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

This sounds all too familiar. Where you here when he was building it? I know I followed pretty closely and it was quite amazing.

I know how you feel though. My car isn't worth a quarter of some of the other cars here, yet I wouldn't sell it for $50k just cause it is my child in a way. That's just me though.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:31 PM
big632
Burning Brakes

Bryan. Let me rephrase what I was trying to say. Someone who has worked on their own cars can appreciate what is involved more than someone who just goes out and buys something without really knowing all the hard work that is involved in building it.You have been there so you have an understanding of how long it would take to complete such a project and it is far easier for everyone involved to go out and buy something that fills your needs.What i was trying to say is unless you have worked on something in the past it is a lot easier to take a car like yours for granted.You know how much work was involved and can appreciate it.I dont think merlins heart was in it as much as his ck book. And yes I watched everyone else build it ,he paid for it.Big difference.Probably why it doesnt have an owner worthy of the car.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:16 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Bryan. Let me rephrase what I was trying to say. Someone who has worked on their own cars can appreciate what is involved more than someone who just goes out and buys something without really knowing all the hard work that is involved in building it.You have been there so you have an understanding of how long it would take to complete such a project and it is far easier for everyone involved to go out and buy something that fills your needs.What i was trying to say is unless you have worked on something in the past it is a lot easier to take a car like yours for granted.You know how much work was involved and can appreciate it.I dont think merlins heart was in it as much as his ck book. And yes I watched everyone else build it ,he paid for it.Big difference.Probably why it doesnt have an owner worthy of the car.
Geez...that's pretty much what I said in that original infamous pissin' match thread way back when...I don't seem to remember anyone agreeing with me then...hmmmmm where have all the Merlinites gone?

Get notified of new replies

To Merlin for sale again?

Old 12-10-2004, 07:03 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

I would love to be able to buy that car, it's one of the coolest looking C3's I've ever seen done. I don't have the $ Steve had to have his car turn out as it did, but I wouldn't mind getting my own to look like that someday

And yes, I have done eveything on my own with my car
Old 12-10-2004, 08:04 PM
68 Yellow 468
Racer

I can completely appreciate your thoughts as I've thought them before myself with respect to other categories of cars in which I've been involved.
I don't take any offense to what your saying as I knew exactly what you meant.

PAUL and JOE - Thank you both for the kind words on the car!

Regards,

Bryan

Last edited by 300ZXTwinTurbo; 12-10-2004 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The fact that Steve paid a shop to build his car doesn't have anything to do with the car itself. It is a great car, and I would love to own it. And, if I had the money I would love even more to be able to hire somebody to build it. I have rebuilt my own as many of you who have been here for years know, and if I had the money to hire it done I wouldn't do it myself. That wouldn't make my car any less of a Corvette than yours. Merlin is a fabulous automobile, maybe not your or my way of doing it, but just because it's somebody elses way doesn't make it wrong.

-Justin

Quick Reply: Merlin for sale again?