C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for NEW 81 Carb

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 01:17 PM
OneBrokenSmile07
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for NEW 81 Carb

I can't seem to find one, since the 1981 was unique considering it was computer controlled. I haven't had much luck with rebuilds so I am looking into buying a new carb, But don't know where I can find an 81 specific newly built one.

Also, would it be better to just hook up an 1980 and earlier model carb? Meaning instead of the computer controlling the fuel/air it would be manually done? Would this be more efficient? I'm not to trusting on the ability of the 1st generation computer in my car.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Master Ho
Racer

If you're going to spend the time/money for a new OEM Q-Jet, you might be better off ditching the carb & computer and going for an aftermarket setup, like Edelbrock, or a pre-'81 Q-Jet. You'll also have to change the distributor, too, IIRC.

Is your existing Q-Jet beyond repair? Have you checked to see if carbs from the same year Camaro/F-Bird will work? JAT
Old 12-09-2004, 01:26 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't find a new computer-controlled QJet. They aren't making them any more. If you have vehicle inspections and emissions testing in your area, you're best off trying to get the carb you have to work properly.

Drop a note to Lars . . . perhaps he can suggest a solution to your dilemma.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:41 AM
OneBrokenSmile07
Instructor

I got lucky. I found a used 81 Computer controlled at the local junkyard for 300 and it runs great. I have a question on it though.

How do I adjust the cold Idle, but not the hot idle? (If there even is two different controls?)

When I start the car, after it kicks down the idle will drop way to low (around 400RPM) and it'll stall. But after I start driving the idle will be fine (700-900RPM) Is there a way to change my cold start up idle so I dont have to flutter the pedal while backing out?

Ohter than that the carb runs fine and my car is back on the road. I'm not selling it anymore
Old 12-10-2004, 11:12 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are multiple settings that affect the cold temperature carb functions. There is the choke spring, the choke pulloff, and the fast idle cam adjustment.

Do a forum search for Lars choke adjustment paper. Also, consider getting a copy of the book Rochester Carburetors by Doug Roe. It's available from amazon.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:54 PM
an81shark
Le Mans Master

i've seen rebuilt one's for sale, but i forget where?
Old 12-10-2004, 12:58 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by an81shark
You can probably get decent rebuilt ones (by Holley) from Autozone. If you must have new try Hemmings or Ebay-or possibly an ad in the NCRS Driveline magazine. But why don't you ask Lars first?
Old 12-10-2004, 01:07 PM
CHEESERAL
Racer

Default Rebuilt Carb

I got a rebuilt carb from national carb with a lifetime warrenty for 270. Looks brand new, bolted it on and the car has never run better.

http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/?...OVMTC=standard
Old 12-10-2004, 01:15 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 320 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by an81shark
I've seen a few on Ebay, usually fairly inexpensive. I'd imagine that you'd have to rebuild these as well though.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for NEW 81 Carb

Quick Reply: Looking for NEW 81 Carb