C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT and Rant: Auto parts stores have gone way of Walmart

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 12:53 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default OT and Rant: Auto parts stores have gone way of Walmart

I'm probably like most of you. Three weeks ago, I started my winter list of to-do's on my 79. On top of my list was to fix that annoying oil leak at the bottom of my timing chain cover. The leak has been there since I build the engine over two years ago. So, over the last several days, I've had the pleasure of removing all those parts in the way between me and the leaky timing cover: fan, belts, water pump and the infamous harmonic balancer. When I remove the timing cover, I immediately see that my leak was causied by my own stupidity of over-tightening the bolts during my initial build, warping the cover. I immediately get online and order a nice looking, beefy aluminum cover to replace my current wimpy one. Summit delivers it in a couple of days.

While waiting on my Summit delivery, I'm thinking a fresh coat of paint on the pulley's, fan and harmonic balancer would be a good touch. When I start cleaning up the balancer, I notice that a lot of the rubber between the metal sections is no longer there and the remaining bubber is buldging out. Crap ! Now I need to replace the balancer. So I go down to Autozone and ask about balancers. The courtious person behind the counter has several and took the time to bring each of them out for me to have a look. The one I take home looked identical to my stock balancer and was priced in the mid-range.

Well, last night it was time to begin putting everything back together. I installed the new timing cover and was very careful in tightening the bolts. Boy, that cover looks great. Too bad that most of it will get covered up.

In installing the water pump, I noticed that the bolts on back of it were hitting my new timing cover and preventing the pump from seating properly to the engine block. Crap ! My new aluminum timing cover is much thicker than stock. So I get out the ole grinder and clearance the bolts on back of the water pump until I get a good match to the block.

Next comes the balancer. I put to use some of the knowledge my Forum Brothers and Sisters taught me by applying a liberal amount of lube to the inside of the balancer and it slipped on easily with aid of an installation tool.

At this point, I was elated that I had gotten past all of the hard stuff and everything else would be a piece of cake. The only things remaining were the crank pulley's, belts, hoses and fan.

When I tried mounting the crank pulley's, I couldn't get the bolts to start. At this point, I'm thinking that the type of bolts must be incorrect for this particular balancer. So I go thru every bolt in my collection and nothing will fit. Crap ! So here I am, can't use the balancer and can't remove it to replace it because my puller's bolts won't work.

Needless to say, I'm pizzed. In reading the box that the balancer came in, I've discovered that it was made in China. I believe that explains why I can't find any bolts that match the holes machined into the balancer. Bet you that I read the labels next time and NEVER, EVER buy any other parts not manufactured in the ole USofA.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:03 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yepperz

so much CRAPola in these parts stores it's amazing. I ran repair shops in San Diego for a couple of Decades and I could write a book on it.
Now my chosen profession offers me much less stress but I still work on my C3.

It used to be, just the dressup stuff - i.e. chrome valve covers etc - were the cheap stuff but durable parts were better. Now the vast majority of it is cheap crap.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:14 PM
matchframe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found that that is true among the chain stores. So much of what they sell is from china, and it is crap! If you want something from AC Delco, you have to specifically ask for it.

We have a couple of parts stores here that are privately owned, and they still operate their business the American way.....with American made parts. Even there you have to watch what you get. I bought some front wheel bearings for a truck, and noticed they were made in china, I took them back, and asked for a better set of bearings. They had them, but I had to pay a little more....which I don't mind doing if that means I get a better product.

NAFTA has created the overseas production, and I think it is really bad for America, and it's economy.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:13 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts

My made in china balancer works great as a door stop.

Replaced it with a ATI super damper. Atleast I know that one is not made in China.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:22 PM
soggybottomboy
Instructor

Is it possible to run a tap into the existing holes. Maybe drill them, then tap them? Since you've already got it on this seems like a good idea, if there is room in the pulley holes.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:57 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Sorry to say, it's been like that for a long, long time. The ONLY thing I ever buy in any of those type of (so called) auto part stores is oil, oil filters, turn signal bulbs, gunk and stuff like that. I wouldn't dare ask for assistance. First of all (down here) they hardly speak English . ALL of those places buy parts by the "boat" load and are the cheapest in the market. Even if you are buying the "middle-of-the-road" quality from them, it's CHIT!!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Originally Posted by LOTAHP
I wouldn't dare ask for assistance...
I've had enough experiences with staff behind the counter to make me believe that many of them probably flunked out of mechanic school.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

NAFTA has created the overseas production, and I think it is really bad for America, and it's economy.

This is one thing that burns me. Try to buy a pair of Levi's and see where they are made. The bad thing about the Chinese parts is, as I understand it, some of it is getting better such as cranks, to make it a better buy.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't ge me started.... ... I have a friend that won't even buy OIL or filters from those places.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:21 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Boofers
I've had enough experiences with staff behind the counter to make me believe that many of them probably flunked out of mechanic school.

Mechanic School !!! Jethro Bodine has a higher education and SPEAKS ENGLISH (sorta)
Old 12-08-2004, 04:24 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't disagree, but NAFTA=North American Free Trade Agreement. That had nothing to do with China and everything to do with Mexico. Ask yourself when all the major US manufacturers started moving their facilities to Mexico. China has been a flea (parasitic, blood-sucking pest)on our collective *** since LOOONG before NAFTA came into being.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:30 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

and I might also say:
many of them probably flunked out of high school.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:48 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LOTAHP
Sorry to say, it's been like that for a long, long time. The ONLY thing I ever buy in any of those type of (so called) auto part stores is oil, oil filters, turn signal bulbs, gunk and stuff like that. I wouldn't dare ask for assistance. First of all (down here) they hardly speak English . ALL of those places buy parts by the "boat" load and are the cheapest in the market. Even if you are buying the "middle-of-the-road" quality from them, it's CHIT!!!!
I agree. All of the other critical stuff that doesn't come from the discount stores (oil, filters, wipers, coolant, fluids, etc.) comes from reputable catalog sources and I try to get name-brand.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:49 PM
kona
Drifting

Originally Posted by CGGorman
China has been a flea (parasitic, blood-sucking pest)on our collective *** since LOOONG before NAFTA came into being.
Kona
Old 12-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Fevre
Race Director

With an AK47 over your shoulder I bet those poor workers are more concerned with the number of parts spit out rather than the quality of them.

Hate their Government not there people.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:39 PM
pgtr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Any special grease for installing the balancer or just plain ol' grease?

A lot of ACDelco parts are made in CHina or Mexico now.

NAPA and perhaps CarQuest sometimes offer better fare. NAPA is a lot more expensive however than the Autozone types.

Go to the parts places that cater to auto shops as opposed to John Public. Their hours will be shorter and their prices might be higher but on hard parts like this they tend to have the better stuff too. Autozone type places are great for car wax and plastic oil drain pans...
Old 12-08-2004, 06:59 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My new U-joint (before I returned it ) had a picture of the American Flag on the box, but the small print said MADE IN CHINA. The zerk grease fitting was also metric

Get notified of new replies

To OT and Rant: Auto parts stores have gone way of Walmart

Old 12-08-2004, 09:23 PM
codestar7
Burning Brakes

Default When

Originally Posted by CGGorman
I don't disagree, but NAFTA=North American Free Trade Agreement. That had nothing to do with China and everything to do with Mexico. Ask yourself when all the major US manufacturers started moving their facilities to Mexico. China has been a flea (parasitic, blood-sucking pest)on our collective *** since LOOONG before NAFTA came into being.

Key on the words Gorman Said, especialy that one word.....[When}
We get the government we deserve......Fooled you twice did he....Its called Slash and burn politics. And some folks never learn.

Its fine when the price of a pack of ciggrettes goes to $5.00 or a bottle of whisky is $20.00, what the hek I don't smoke ...right? Don't have to drink?...Right, but when they turn the manufacture of our beloved hobby parts over to the Chinese, Well we notice that, But it all goes back to the same thing. The most basic things. Do you love your country , do you care about your fellow countrymen. Some in power ...Don't. Elected officials!
Old 12-08-2004, 09:45 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Never shop the chains.
I have a local area parts store - family business - that I use.
I just did a balancer on my DD - Dorman - OEM replacement - not a single problem.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:22 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Theres an advance auto down the road from me that stocks everything small block chevy.

Felpro, federal mogul... heck even holley carbs and edelbrock intakes.

Dont know if thats just a local one though

Quick Reply: OT and Rant: Auto parts stores have gone way of Walmart