C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupidest thing ever done to your vette

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 11:24 PM
OneBrokenSmile07
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupidest thing ever done to your vette

Whats the one thing that made you shake your head and punch yourself?

Mine was when me and my good friend were "prepping" the outside of my vette. The rear right Cover being the Spinner on the Knockoffs was dirty so my friend went to clean it. I agreed, and went to the left side to do the same. When I walk over to the other side of the car, I see him trying to get the spinner off with a lead hammer, to reach the cover behind the spinner.

Keep in mind this wasn't on jacks at all. Last time I let ANYONE help me with any vette maintenance
Old 10-27-2004, 11:37 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

well after just getting the car and working on the brakes we were running the car on jack stands to see if the brakes would work and they did, my son turned off the car and we made some other adjustments and went to start the car... nothing happened.... i try horn...fine, lights... fine, really start shaking my head .... start mentally going over everything we did to see if we accidentally hit a wire ..... a couple minutes later i realize my son turned off the the car in gear (auto trans) ..... there was a happy ending....

Last edited by bobs77vet; 10-27-2004 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:53 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

I was doing some underhood wrenching without protecting the fenders. Stood up and dropped a screwdriver. "Thunk"...nice big chip in the paint.

Whadda f-ing idiot!

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 10-28-2004, 12:12 AM
Bryan8412_2
Instructor

I've got a number and more to come:

Mine:
1. Took my a while to figure out the true use of the pickle fork for removing the tie rods. At first I just put the rod between the forks and tryed to hammer it out

2. When trying to figure out my rear end ratio I put tape on the half shafts and the wheels. It took me a complete revolution before I was kicking myself

Dad:
1. Ripped and threw out a perfectly good front wiring harness

2. Ripped out the blower assembly because he forgot to remove one screw

3. Sprayed parts with pure POR 15 without proper breathing apparatus; he thought he was going to die from the crap he inhaled

To be continued...
Old 10-28-2004, 12:18 AM
Contrail
Racer

RTV'ed in a tranny pan gasket. Live and learn...
Old 10-28-2004, 01:40 AM
Slick McFavorite
Instructor

Oh you know...wrecked it.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:16 AM
arklacat
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

Loooong story.....
My 81 takes a while to warm up. A few minutes after after cranking, the choke kicks in and RPM's hit between 2500 and 3000. A lite touch of the gas pedal and it idles back to about 750. Went out one morning, cranked her up, got out and locked the doors. DAMMIT. No extra keys. DAMMIT. Call my local vette guy. What to do? He suggested clamping off the fuel line at the tank where it comes out at the filler neck. Well he means the rubber hose part of the line. I think he means the alum. nipple. I can't see screwing up the nipple on the tank so bright me decides I'll just unhook the line and all will be fine. Problem is the line I unhook is the return line. :o Now I have gas pouring out over the fuel tank and down onto the now very hot exhaust. Luckily I didn't have my T-tops locked. I pryed out the passenger glass far enuf to get my arm in, unfasten the top, crawl in and kill the engine. Whewwww!!! I now have several sets of keys.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:38 AM
RoadrashOU812
Racer

Stupidist thing I ever did was buy my Vette .

Pure Money Pit !

Last edited by RoadrashOU812; 10-28-2004 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:57 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

Take it apart
Old 10-28-2004, 03:01 AM
RoadrashOU812
Racer

Oh , but I did ......... Thats when it became the Money Pit !

Have to make it like I want it to be . Too many options

You know how it is . Gonna use it as my Casket !
Old 10-28-2004, 04:28 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

#1 While prepping the car to store for the winter, I decided it would be smart to add a few drops of oil to the cylinders to protect the walls. Couldn’t find a squirt can, so I used an eyedropper to place a few drops of oil through the spark plug hole. Well, after the 5th cylinder, the eyedropper was getting rather slippy and when I squeezed, the glass tube flew out. All I heard was a quiet ‘tink tink’. Yep, the little tube was now 4” deep resting on top of the piston...

#2 During the ensuing head rebuild... I wanted to clean the lifter valley of all the old gasket debris, so I decided to use the shop-vac to collect the large bits. Woosh, clank! Yep, sucked up a hydraulic lifter. After fishing it out of the dust bin and noting that the thing was caked in sawdust, filings, and grass, I decided it was time for a set of new lifters anyway...

Last edited by Turbo-Jet; 10-28-2004 at 04:37 AM.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:34 AM
chicken's73sting
Instructor

Haha these are really funny. Well here's mine, About 3 weeks after buying my vette I decided to start dismantling it, during this process I completely dissasembled the innards of the doors, because the bottoms are rusted on both doors so i figured i'd keep the rest of the stuff and just buy shells. Anyway I had the drivers side window resting on top of a garbage can that was convienently located right next to the door. As I was wrenching away at somthing else inside the car I pushed the door open with my leg and then I heard SMASH!! and my wonderful drivers side window was now in 40 million pieces on my garage floor. -Danny
Old 10-28-2004, 06:45 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I can't compete with you guys. Too funny.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:50 AM
ICEMAN59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Not my vette but when my Mercedes E430Se was two days old I scrapped up a $850 rim parallel parking, then the next day washing the car, I was detailing the engine and left a glass of ice tea on the engine and closed the hood. Big dent in the middle of the hood $1,350.00 later it was back to new. Man what a dumb as*.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:02 AM
Summerfun
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....believed the guy whom I had bought it from in '95 that everything was in perfect working condition and that he had just spent $7500 on engine and suspension upgrades....

Dumbass me, should have known when I saw bubbas girlfriend's pantyhouse wrapped over the carb

Don't laugh, I was even more of a bubba when I took off the pantyhose and drove it home with an open carb ......500 miles

....live and learn
Old 10-28-2004, 08:23 AM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Stupidest thing ever done to your vette

#1.) Purchase the car.... After that I was committed to seeing the project thru...

#2.) Taking it apart.... Although several crates of vette parts can be said to take up less room than an assembled car, that's about all of the advantages. When am I ever going to get this pile of parts back together!?!?!?!?!?
Old 10-28-2004, 09:24 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,044 Likes on 809 Posts

I did a stupid thing on my car BEFORE I even owned it.

I went to look at a Vette for sale and the guy had it stored inside his factory out in "the sticks". We both had to drive about a half hour to meet at the plant where it was stored. He gives me the keys and I fire up the engine. While I am waiting for the car to warm up, I start checking the equipment out to verify that it all still works. The electric locks work great by the way... So I get out to do a walk around and I shut the door. The door is now locked, the engine is running on high idle, and we have no extra keys anywhere.

The owner is "frosted" to say the least. He had to call home and have his wife drive over with an extra set of keys while the car just screamed away for a half hour at high idle speed. The owner has called me a few choice derogatory names by now and is pacing back and forth the whole time.

I did buy that car but he did not knock anything off the asking price if you get my drift.

-Mark.

Get notified of new replies

To Stupidest thing ever done to your vette

Old 10-28-2004, 09:33 AM
Ace77
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stupidest thing done to my car?
Driving it in winter.

Old 10-28-2004, 09:38 AM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

A previous Bubba had added an assinine 2 word non-factory option.................................

TRAILER HITCH
Old 10-28-2004, 10:14 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Designed a hardtop hoist to store hardtop over freshly painted car. Commercially bought cable end came un-swedged dropping hardtop on fresly painted car. I cried. Got it fixed and you can't tell, but that was an expensive oops.

Quick Reply: Stupidest thing ever done to your vette