C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace fiberglass front end (doors foreward)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 08:38 PM
Blue70
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace fiberglass front end (doors foreward)

Well I am still waiting for the insurance company to get out here and look at my car

I've been going over the different options in my head and was wondering how hard is it to replace the nose? Can someone walk me through the basics? I figure it's just cut off the old stuff, replace radiator support, square it up, lay on some goop where the fenders touch the supports, and strap it all in place untill goop sets up. Am I close?

I am looking at the "door to door" front ends from Ecklers

What adhesive is used? (it looks like the fenders are glues to ribs)
Old 10-25-2004, 09:01 PM
johns_vette
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Front end reference ideas

I replaced the front clip on a 79. I purchased two books 1. Ecklers Complete Guide to Fiberglass repair 2. Glas-Ra Vol.3. They both provide good information about how the structure is and what to look for and order of bonding. The way I did mine was I bought a used complete clip, however I had to break the inner fenders loose and rebond once I had everything set. I took my time and worked on fitting everything before any bonding and it took about five days. If I had to do it again, i'm sure it would still take time, but I did get all the body lines to match.

The bonding adhesive I used was Lord Fusor EZ127 (slow set).

Last edited by johns_vette; 10-26-2004 at 12:05 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 10-26-2004, 06:43 AM
FEDX
Melting Slicks

Location: A high school diploma fixing what a college degree broke TN
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'

By the way,if you decide to replace the entire cap with a one piece,send me a PM or a email.I have a complete one brand new from Vanacor,that I'm not using.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:18 AM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

If you do the replacement yourself make sure you install your hood first, and then line up the front clip. You can always raise your hood with shims but you will not be able to lower it if you mount the clip to low. Just my .02 . Good luck
Old 10-26-2004, 10:34 AM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Go for the 'door to door' and front spoiler

Old 10-26-2004, 10:41 AM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I installed mine I did like mentioned above, install the hood and dry fit everything, I then made several reference marks on the fenders to the doors. Instead of strapping to bond I drilled several pilot holes around the cowl supports. I used a cake decorating bag so when I mixed up the first batch of Vette Bond I was able to lay down a nice consistent bead. I did not bond the inner fenders at first (too much at one time) After setting the clip into place and aligning the reference marks use sheet metal screws to fasten into place using the pre drilled holes. After that has dried then you can unbolt the inner fenders from the core support and drop them low enough to lay a bead of Vette Bond around the contact points, move back into place, bolt up and again screw to hold until bond has set. Remove the screws and grind a small amount away from the hole as to make a dish, or cup and fill with the panel adhesive / filler. One more tip is buy as complete of a nose as possible, some have the valence and some don't, do yourself a favor and buy the one that does. That will save you time and less bonding.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:00 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by crf311
If you do the replacement yourself make sure you install your hood first, and then line up the front clip. You can always raise your hood with shims but you will not be able to lower it if you mount the clip to low. Just my .02 . Good luck

Good tip.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:48 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your insurance company is paying for the damage, don't use a one piece front end or let them assume such. Insist on original, bonded style, press molded parts . Then, after they've written you the check, do what you want .

Personally, I wouldn't use a 1-piece front end, regardless. It's a sure tip-off to any knowledgeable Corvette buyer that the car had suffered extensive front end damage at one point and it says, "body man's shortcut" all over it. Of course if you can pocket some of the cash and still have a presentable (to a passer-by) Vette, that may make up for the non-original repairs.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:13 AM
codestar7
Burning Brakes

Default Ye Ol Front end

Originally Posted by johns_vette
I replaced the front clip on a 79. I purchased two books 1. Ecklers Complete Guide to Fiberglass repair 2. Glas-Ra Vol.3. They both provide good information about how the structure is and what to look for and order of bonding. The way I did mine was I bought a used complete clip, however I had to break the inner fenders loose and rebond once I had everything set. I took my time and worked on fitting everything before any bonding and it took about five days. If I had to do it again, i'm sure it would still take time, but I did get all the body lines to match.

The bonding adhesive I used was Lord Fusor EZ127 (slow set).
Yo...john, Hows your day? Where can we get some of that slow set?
Old 10-27-2004, 05:22 AM
CalHusker
Racer

Default I'lll be watching this

I have a 72 that needs a front end. I was wondering how to go about the replacement. Thanks, Mike
Old 10-27-2004, 10:35 AM
adam
Drifting

If you work on the car a lot, consider the tilt up front end. I've though that
the engineers on the C4 were really thinking when they made the tilt up
front end. Lift it, up, everything out of the way...

Who is selling the tilting front end kits these days?
Old 10-28-2004, 01:26 AM
codestar7
Burning Brakes

Default Details , details

Originally Posted by CalHusker
I have a 72 that needs a front end. I was wondering how to go about the replacement. Thanks, Mike
The devil's in the details. I've owned the one piece front end for my 73 for 2 years, and I'm just geting to it this week!
Old 10-28-2004, 02:26 AM
CalHusker
Racer

Default Having it for awhile

I sure know that tune. I'lll get around to it has been a motto of miune for awhile. I must enjoy having a job to do. Nothing akes me ahppier tho as when I finally get around to it. Smile
Mike
Old 10-28-2004, 06:31 AM
Blue70
Instructor

Well this is my daily driver, and after the insurance pays out one way or the other, I think they will want the rental car back, so this will need to be done kinda quick
Old 10-29-2004, 01:49 AM
codestar7
Burning Brakes

Default One Piece

Originally Posted by LemansBlue68
If your insurance company is paying for the damage, don't use a one piece front end or let them assume such. Insist on original, bonded style, press molded parts . Then, after they've written you the check, do what you want .

Personally, I wouldn't use a 1-piece front end, regardless. It's a sure tip-off to any knowledgeable Corvette buyer that the car had suffered extensive front end damage at one point and it says, "body man's shortcut" all over it. Of course if you can pocket some of the cash and still have a presentable (to a passer-by) Vette, that may make up for the non-original repairs.
I can't speak for all one piece front ends, but I own a Vanacor "One Piece" front end, and I'm presently doing the preleminary set up to install. They lay these up by hand and the fit and finish is VERY nice. They DO make the fake panelized groove, if you were concerned with the panelized look you could acentuate these panel grooves and pay attention to the fit and finish and it wouldn't be as noticable as you think.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:29 PM
johns_vette
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Fusor site

Originally Posted by codestar7
Yo...john, Hows your day? Where can we get some of that slow set?
The fusor website is below. You can use their link to find a local distributor. You will also need the gun to dispense the material. The only draw back to the product is that it more "runny" than other bonding materials.

http://www.lord.com
Old 10-31-2004, 04:28 PM
codestar7
Burning Brakes

Many thanks John.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:27 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by AGVI
Go for the 'door to door' and front spoiler

Holy cow, 1982 called they want their front end back.

Get notified of new replies

To How to replace fiberglass front end (doors foreward)

Quick Reply: How to replace fiberglass front end (doors foreward)