C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Mounting with Headers....?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 11:19 PM
1970-Bronze
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator Mounting with Headers....?

Ok, I guess I shouldn't have changed so much when swapping engines.

I can not figure out the alternator mounting. I ordered headers, header mounting bracket for alternator, new water pump but I can't seem to make it work....

Anyone?
Old 10-19-2004, 11:23 PM
codestar7
Burning Brakes

Default Alternator

Curious to hear or see this one, I too have headers and am mounting the alternator...Hmmm
Old 10-19-2004, 11:36 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by 1970-Bronze

I can not figure out the alternator mounting. I ordered headers, header mounting bracket for alternator, new water pump but I can't seem to make it work....

Anyone?

on my 77 Small block the headers have nothing to do with the alt bracket. the alt bracket is attached to the front of the drivers side head. the AC compressor has a bracket off of one of the pass side header front bolts.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:44 PM
jcswm
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My headers didn't effect my Alt brackets ...'73 350
I've got the large base that bolts to the front of the head & the long arm to the waterpump. Bubba might have left a bracket off The back of the Alt. before I bought her, but it works just fine.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:10 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Iron mounthttp://www.zip-products.com/Corvette...ges/M-2546.JPG

aluminum http://www.zip-products.com/Corvette...C81DB79795BDA7
I remember reading about the iron ones cracking, which allows the bolt to constantly loosen. I suppose the aluminum oen would fix this problem.

Last edited by lostpatrolman; 10-20-2004 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:46 AM
Todd68
Racer

I just went through this with my 68 (327). 1968 & earlier factory heads weren't drilled / tapped for accessories at the front like 69 & later. I used aftermarket brackets from the local Checker Auto. This bolts to the head with the header pipe @ #1 cylinder exhaust:

Then you bolt this bracket onto the first bracket:

They are slotted to allow belt alignment. The lower alternator bolt (long one) then attatches the alt. to this second bracket. I had to make a short spacer for the long bolt because the alt. mounting flange wasn't as wide as the spacing between the bracket flanges.

Then use the "universal" upper bracket:

This is used from the upper alt. mounting point to a water pump bolt or stud, or possibly even the head (might need a spacer).

In my case, bolting this bracket direct to the water pump would have made the alt. sit too high (hood would've hit). I made a small bracket which raised the lower mounting point of the bracket up & allowed the alt. to rotate towards the fender to get clearance. So if your heads are drilled for accessories you'll probably have it easier than I did. As a matter of fact, you could probably get the "standard" bracket set that bolts between the head, water pump, and intake manifold, like this:

If you need pics let me know & I'll bring the digital camera home from work tomorrow and post some.

Sorry for the long post....hope it helps some.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:51 AM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1970-Bronze

Anyone?
Not to confuse the issue, but did you order the header mounting bracket and the alternator mount bracket (example:at SummitRacing.com look up part nos. SUM-G4050, SUM-G4051 ). The alt bracket mounts to the header bracket and it gives you some front/back adjustment for the alt.

Did you buy the "Corvette Short" water pump or the "Small Block Chevy Short" water pump? If your not set-up for one or the other things may not line up.

I just thought I'd ask, but you've more than likely covered these bases.

Tim

I posted and then I see that Todd 68 has already posted some nice pics of the brackets I listed.

Last edited by Brass Pass; 10-20-2004 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:03 AM
1970-Bronze
Burning Brakes

Well, that would explain a lot since my car didn't originally have accessory holes in the head but my new Trick Flows do.

Would the later bracket work??? Anyone have one laying around? Where does the Upper universal mount when using that bracket?

Todd68 -
Yes, I have all three brackets from Summit. Making a spacer for the bottom mounting flange isn't a problem. The Universal upper is. The original mounted to the water pump and the front of the alternator. The new Universal Upper sits too far behind the mounting point on the alternator and hits the case which is the problem. Any pictures you can take would be great. Where did you get the 1" header bolts at?
Brass Pass -
Yes, I ordered all the Summit brackets which I thought would make my life easier - LOL. I got the Edlebrock WP which states it fits a 70' Vette. It seems there's a different one when you get to 71' and up.

I figured this was going to be the easy side - now I'm not looking forward to AC side next.....
Old 10-20-2004, 09:51 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

I'm not looking at my vette but i think its off the water pump. it will be a no brainer though when you hook it up the slotted end goes to bolt on alt and when it swings down the mounting spot should be pretty obvious,
Old 10-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Munky
Burning Brakes

Just went through this same issue this past week. It almost drove me insane - however, many pondering glances, and some suggestions from the forum, I got it to work.

use the brackets in the above post - got bolt and lock washers - 3/8x1" from lowes, you will also need a longer alt. bolt for the bottom bracket - 3/8x 3.5 (lowes again - second trip).

Due to the brackets extending the placemen of my alternator roughly 1.5 inces, I had to go up a couple sizes in fan belt to allow me to get it on and also allow for adjustment - after I got the right size belt, everything fell together smoothly - but that was after hours of beer, cursing, and crying because I couldn' figure out what I did wrong.

Good luck.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:10 AM
1970-Bronze
Burning Brakes

Is this all because my car is Pre71'? Seems like the later guys don't have to worry about this.

Bobs77vet -
No, I understand that, but when I get the bottom bracket pushed out far enough, I'm about 1 1/2" away on the upper Universal mount. It's like the Upper Universal needs to be space off of the WP by an 1" or so..... Plus it hits the alternator case....which I guess I could grind 1/8" off of.... I don't want this to turn in to Bubba's Car.
Munky -
I've got the bottom bracket installed temp for now while I try to figure out the stupid top bracket. Did you have to space off the Upper from the WP? If so how far? My original one mounted to the front of the alternator and now I'm 1" or so away from the rear...???

So - confused.....
Old 10-20-2004, 11:00 AM
1970-Bronze
Burning Brakes

After looking at the alternator bracket for the 74 and newer Vettes that mounts directly to the front of the Head, Where does the upper universal bracket mount? Does it still attach to the WP or does it attach to the head where the lower bracket attaches?

That looks like a simpler solution and even a little less clumsy.

Anyone?
Old 10-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Munky
Burning Brakes

ok, Hopefully I can help - mine is a 68.

The top bracket - the one that fits onto the two adjustable slider holes mounted to the headers.....went on the fender side of the bracket, bolt on, with the two spaced holes pointing towards front of the car. The alt. should fit into those holes (between), and the longer bolt you will need to purchast goes through and bolts to the inside support of the bracket.

You can do away with the lower stock bracket which bolts at the water pump - no need for it. Mine bolted to the manifold, and alternator. Hope I am helping and not aiding in the confussion.

email me at srobertson@crtinc.com - willcall you.

Last edited by Munky; 10-20-2004 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:14 PM
Todd68
Racer

Don't know if you got it sorted out yet or not, but here are the pics I promised.

You can see the small bracket I made to raise the "water pump" end of the upper bracket up; this gives the neede clearance at the alt. end. I also think some one makes an upper bracket with a sharper radius curve & longer slotted end which may fit directly. When I get around to installing the new intake manifold I'll check into this more, but I wanted to get the exhaust done so I could get in a few more driving days before the weather gets bad around here. Here it is from another angle:

Here's a top view:

Here's a close up (camera upside down - looking between valve cover & alternator) of the lower mount & spacer:

To answer your question the 1" bolts came with the bracket, you can get them at most auto parts or hardware stores; 3/8-16 x 1"

As far as the other style mounts (you need accessory holes in the head for the long [lower] mount bolt) here they are on my old plow truck (small block Chevy -1975):

OK - quit laughing, that old thing sits all year & never fails to start and move snow. After all the mice are evicted that is!
However, this is on the passenger side, if you're installing AC you need brackets for the driver side so make sure to get the correct one the first time if you go this route.

Good Luck, and if you need more info just ask. Now it's time for a beer!
Old 10-20-2004, 10:46 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

For those of you with the early heads without the accessory mount holes, this is the bracket that you need: Jegs PN 289-88301, Dynomax Alternator Mounting Bracket - GM Early Front Bracket

Here's some pics of the install:

As you can see, you use both stock brackets in conjunction with this bracket. This bracket replaces the tapped hole in the stock exhaust manifold. Hope this helps.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:14 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I went through a series of changes when I swapped in the 406.Some cosmetic,some functional. I wanted billet pulleys and that started the mess. I looked around at the prices of the direct fit Corvette pulleys and decided I would get the Summit brand pulleys for like 1/3 the price.This mandated a short chrome water pump,and a series of bracket mods. The original alternater bracket on the 80 is a cast aluminum piece,which had cracked and been repaired once by the previous owner.I replaced it with a stock bracket while the car still ran the 350,and reused it on the 406.
Fender shake,exceesive torque,whatever the reason,the stock bracket cracked in the same location as the original. I decided to go aftermarket. Baught the "Chevy correct short pump brackets" and discovered with the AFR heads and tall valve covers the upper adjustment arm would not fit. I then got the universal chrome upper arm and ran this arangement for a month before the header mount broke.
Long story short. I baught a Zoops billet bracket. It mounts to the front of the head,aligns the alternator correctly,and is as solid as a rock.If you're going to "play" with changing stock parts,you're going to have to "pay".The Zoops bracket was around $150.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:20 AM
1970-Bronze
Burning Brakes

Ok well after looking at all the photos and talking to Munky on the phone, here's what I've noticed.

When I mounted My Upper Universal, It's directly against the WP. No space in between.
Everyone elses is stood off from the WP. Distance varies between 1/4" to 3/4" and all are mounting to the back side of the alternator.
Todd68 -
Thanks for the pictures. I dig your bracket and think it could resolve the alternator housing clearence issue.
Kid Vette -
Thanks for your photos. It looks like every manufacturer has a solution to the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator Mounting with Headers....?

Quick Reply: Alternator Mounting with Headers....?