C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Rebuilds .. How-To?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 10:00 AM
websparks
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Rebuilds .. How-To?

I need to pull everything out of the doors of my 76 to clean, replace, and refurbish all the power window bushings, washers, and associated hardware. Anyone know of a How To Gut and Rebuild A Door Instructions? It would really help to have something along the lines of one of Jim Shea's steering papers.

Mike
Old 10-18-2004, 10:17 AM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

instructions come with all the bits, parts and pieces....there are diagrams at Eckler's website too I believe...as far as how to, cant help ya there.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:09 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i did it with no instructions other then the factory service manual (not much help) not particularly hard just really tedious there seems to be one right way to get everything aligned. Make sure you pay carefull attention to all those plastic bushings and how they go on/come off and there locations. i believe i had the entire "scissor mechanism" come out by compressing it down after i removed the window and then the assembly came out through the door. can't remember if i had to take out the motor first but i think i did. also if you need to tighten your mirrors do it when window is out and if you need to replace the window rubber that presses against the window do that now also. i also painted the bottom of the doors when i had everything out. Be careful you don't drop any screws inthe front part of the door there is a structural compartment there that stops you from easliy retrieving them (been there!).
Old 10-18-2004, 03:58 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Been there done that also, used a service manual and an assembly manul. Also do one side at a time, thus you can look back at the other for clarification when reading the material. I would mark the current position of the bolts and channels to the best of you ability to make it eaiser to get the adjustments right when reassembling. I also used a piece of cardboard to draw the outline of the door and put the bolts and screws thru it where they came from. For instance, if the motor cover was round like a clock, and had mounting screws at 2,4,6,8 oclock, what I drew was a circle and then punched the screws thru at 2,4,6,8, in the same position they came out(#2 at 2, #3 at 3 etc), If you have power windows, the motor and regulator come out as one, you then have to bridge power to the motor to bump the regulator around to line up a locking hole that you need to pit a bolt and nut on before you tahe the motor off. Read the manual for this procedure, buy one if you don't already have one.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:02 PM
i885744
Pro

The steps i learned while doing my passenger side...

Step one: remove door panel.
Step two: scare out squirel
Step three: remove squirel's habitat via shop vac.

Ditto what they said above, mark all the bolts before you remove them, take lots of pictures, and take your time. Its easiest to do this with the door removed from the car. Definately mark the hinge bolts before removing them. I just shot a bit of spray paint in the hole and lined up the paint while reassembling. Don't forget the little bumpers that stop the window from rattling.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:48 PM
Red_Shift
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I cut the door skin away from the metal door frame? It would be a lot easier to fix the rust and paint the inside with with skin off. I think mine is starting to come off anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Rebuilds .. How-To?

Quick Reply: Door Rebuilds .. How-To?