C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 or C5?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 01:53 AM
jedrake72
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 or C5?

I'm posting this thread on both C5 and C3 forums. Should be interesting what comes back...

I currently own a 99 roadster A4 but am having a little trouble keeping up with the payments and the insurance. I originally wanted a daily driver and to get into autoXing so a C5 seemed a good choice at the time but it never quite panned out and now the vette is just a weekend car. But still, it is my first Corvette and I would take a little bit of a bath selling it (I've put about $4000 into it in upgrades and I think I over paid for it to begin with) so it is not easy to think about parting with it. It also needs some repairs a (u joints need replacing and hubs need some work) and I dont have the money for it.

So if I sell the car I would have enough to pay off the loan and pick up a 68 or 69, preferably either a big block coupe or a small block roadster (though I'm not sure I could afford a big block in good condition). I like the idea of a C3 because I could fix it up gradually as budget permitted.

I'm looking for some guidance from anyone who has owned or driven both. What is the degree of straight line and handling performance trade offs? Is a big block Stingray on modern rubber as fast in a straight line as a C5? Can a small block's suspension be modified to handle as well as a C5? Thoughts?
Old 10-17-2004, 02:00 AM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first got going in vettes, the C3 was the only one I wanted (could afford). Now... I will take a Z06 please.

I am just bitter because I have spent too much time fixing and not enough time driving lately AND I WANT A/C, it is HOT in Hawaii.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:06 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

The c3 can be made to handle as well as a c5, but your going to spend some money and time doing it. C3s are also seem to always be needing something. If you want one, I would try finding one that someone has dumped loads of money into it and is selling at a large loss. That way, you wouldnt need to mess with too much, and can focus on the things you want to upgrade such as suspension, adding an overdrive whatever else. I dont think you can ever get a c3 to feel as refined as a c5 though.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:37 AM
jcswm
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'll find more than a few C3 owners on here that can SMOKE a stock C5 in the 1/4 mile!!
In '02 (when I left Ohio) The District SCCA champ drove a C3.
$$$ wise the C3's are going UP in value while C4 & C5's are dropping.

Last edited by jcswm; 10-17-2004 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I have both a C3 and a C5 (69 BB conv. and 00 conv.) There is absolutely NO comparison between the two cars.

The C5 is more comfortable, more reliable, performs better, handles better, etc.

My 69 is no "dog" either. It's driven regularly. My wife and I have driven it on NCRS road tours from Baltimore to Bowling Green, St. Louis, and Long Island. Runs fine...runs cool, etc. It's also a NCRS National Top Flight car. It's not a project car, or "rolling restoration project".

That being said, I'd MUCH rather drive the C5 on trips. Next weekend, we're taking it on my NCCC club weekend tour to Skyline Drive in Virginia.

I'll probably get flamed for saying this , but I think you would be TERRIBLY disappointed in the driving characteristics of the two cars. Chuck
Old 10-17-2004, 08:53 AM
Summerfun
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The C5 is a better car in every way!

No one buys a C3 for it's power, handling or fuel efficiency characteristics.
We buy them for looks, or nostalgia, or because it's a cheaper alternative, or because it's a car you can upgrade with parts just about everywhere to be found.

I love my C3 but there is certainly no comparison to a C5!!

If I want smooth cruising, I'll buy almost anything newer than 1990....but I like the earth shattering rumble and the attention from EVERYONE, wherever I go in the C3.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

I think the only way any C3 is going to beat a C5 on top end is by changing the gearing and perhaps a 6 speed or overdrive transmission. True there are quite a few that could spank a C5 in the 1/4 mile straight line run, but actually driving on a variety of different road conditions and staying with the C5 is going to require more expense in suspension mods then what a C5 would cost to start with. You would need to start with frame and body modifications to run those wide run flat tires, then go from there. The C5's are also impressive as they are getting close to 30 miles per gallon, never heard of anything like that from a C3.

As far as styling? The C3 spanks the newer cars all day long in my opinion. Go with the C3 if you don't mind working on cars, stay with the C5 if you want something more reliable and like to go on long cruises.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:44 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Handling- a C3 can handle very well- see 77 Facts on my website. Remember the laws of physics have not changed. The main advantage C4 has is tires, easily upgraded. C5 would ride better.

Power is no problem for C3. Top speed is just a matter of power & gears.

I prefer to build my own & prefer C3 over C5.

Old 10-17-2004, 09:48 AM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have both & as said they are two different cars; Modern vs classic. Its similar to comparing the new GTO to the original one. It is a refined ride. The C3 on the other hand can be modified for less $ and the fun factor will be high with that also. My C3 is actually a daily driver and is not as powerful as the C5. If I wanted to it can be made into a street/track monster I'm sure it could, $$ is a big factor with any modifications. It may never handle as a C5 but it may come close. I find that with a C3 you have to be willing to put time & repairs into them alot more than C5's.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:55 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jedrake72
So if I sell the car I would have enough to pay off the loan and pick up a 68 or 69, preferably either a big block coupe or a small block roadster (though I'm not sure I could afford a big block in good condition). I like the idea of a C3 because I could fix it up gradually as budget permitted.
I'm a little confused. You're going to sell/payoff a '99 vert (that needs work) and have enough money left over to purchase a running C3?

How much are '99 roadsters in need of work selling for???

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 10-17-2004, 10:48 AM
martinsw
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dogboy
I have both & as said they are two different cars; Modern vs classic. Its similar to comparing the new GTO to the original one. It is a refined ride. The C3 on the other hand can be modified for less $ and the fun factor will be high with that also. My C3 is actually a daily driver and is not as powerful as the C5. If I wanted to it can be made into a street/track monster I'm sure it could, $$ is a big factor with any modifications. It may never handle as a C5 but it may come close. I find that with a C3 you have to be willing to put time & repairs into them alot more than C5's.
I also have 79-C3 and 98-C5 coupe/auto. My C3 was to help keep from putting to many miles on the C5, but the C3 always either NEEDS something, or I WANT to do something to it. As others say, plan on HAVING to work on a C3, while my C5 has been very reliable (hope all them computers don't start acting up anytime soon - that would be ). I love em both, but for very different reasons....
Old 10-17-2004, 11:06 AM
mike229
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I sold my '02 Coupe before it depreciated too much to get money to buy a C3 and mod it...

BIG MISTAKE (from a financial point of view anyway)
I sold it for $33K and my C3 budget (purchase+MODS) was $33k

Now I am at $37K and I still want a new motor - ha!

In hindsight I would not have done it, but there's no way in hell I could or would sell the C3 to get another C5.

I will get a C5 when I can pick up a low mile one for $15K - we all know that day will come...

In the meantime, I will thoroughly enjoy my C3 but have no expectations of performing or handling like my c5...

Hope this helps since Ive sorta been there..

Last edited by mike229; 10-17-2004 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:17 AM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Not sure how high your payments are but I think if you don't have the money to fix your '99 you'll have a hard time affording a C3.
Insurance ? There is no difference between my '99 Z28 and my '79 Vette - you probably won't safe money on this end either.

Performance ? No emission restrictions = install whatever you want ..SB, BB , blower....

A big advantage is that a 68 or 69 will not depreciate, as long as you keep it close to original...

I'd keep the '99.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 or C5?

Quick Reply: C3 or C5?