C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fix windshield frame Rot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 03:53 PM
UCF Z51
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix windshield frame Rot?

What are the common ways to fix a rotted A-pillar base around the windshield? My uncle's 68 has sigificant rusting of the passenger base of the windsheild from a leaky A-pillar. Is Fender removeal necesary? It is under the passenger fender and its letting rain in
Old 10-13-2004, 03:55 PM
superfine69
Racer

Old 10-13-2004, 04:00 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Look through some of the parts magazines. I remember seeing some repair pieces being sold that were designed fix this issue.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:09 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on how bad it is, It might be easier/cheaper to get a donor section

Steve
Old 10-13-2004, 04:14 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most likely the entire birdcage is in a poor state, do a search on that. There are many topics about inspection & repair.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:36 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,348 Posts

You may luck out and only have an upper problem. You have to remove everything,icluding the windsheild to get a good look.

I have the repair sections new in a box if you need them,but they do cost a bit. If you have a mig welder and some metal you can repair the section yourself.

If the rust is under the 'glass then you really have a problem. Some guys chisel off the nose to get at it others remove the dash and full frontal areas to get to it. If you have this and want to keep this car forever think about fixing it, otherwise cut your losses and part it out.

Gary
Old 10-13-2004, 05:52 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

If all the rust is visible you need to cut out the bad sections and weld in new repair sections. Do a search for Vette Products of Michigan, they have all the repair sections available. Under the fenders is more of a problem, the top of the fender needs to be cut off so the steel can be replaced (by welding) and then the cut section needs to be bonded back on.

I'm one for saving these old cars, but this is certainly a very ambituous project, and you will want to be fully committed to going all the way before starting on it.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:03 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Like most people have said you are only seeing part of the rot. The rest comes when you are tearing it down for repair.

Both STPman and I are going to severe cases of rot repair. I chose to replace the entire front half of the birdcage.... but if given the choice again with the knowledge I have now, I would have bought another shell with a good birdcage.... Sometimes you have to say screw it to sentimental value!
Old 10-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Summerfun
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Fish
If all the rust is visible you need to cut out the bad sections and weld in new repair sections. Do a search for Vette Products of Michigan, they have all the repair sections available. Under the fenders is more of a problem, the top of the fender needs to be cut off so the steel can be replaced (by welding) and then the cut section needs to be bonded back on.

I'm one for saving these old cars, but this is certainly a very ambituous project, and you will want to be fully committed to going all the way before starting on it.

I had mine done the right way after July 24th when I hit a manhole cover.
It caught the bell housing and tore the engine off of the motor mounts.
Cracked the firewall and the Richmond drove up through the floor.
The windshield cracked in the process and when it was taken out all the rot was found.
Bad parts were cut and new pieces welded in before the new windshield was installed.

The engine had to come out as well as all the interior in order to fix the firewall and floor properly from both sides.

You don't realize how bad it is until you take that windshield out!!!

She will be finished within the next few days.....just waited for the Steeroids to turn up.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:48 PM
trotter73
Advanced

Originally Posted by UCF Z51
What are the common ways to fix a rotted A-pillar base around the windshield? My uncle's 68 has sigificant rusting of the passenger base of the windsheild from a leaky A-pillar. Is Fender removeal necesary? It is under the passenger fender and its letting rain in
I cut the tops of the fenders off and then made a bonding strip and used bonding adhesive to reattach them after fixing the rust, it was shown in a restoration book I bought from Ecklers.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:39 AM
UCF Z51
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys, it looks like I might have to cut the upper fenders out and get into the support for the cage. I am wondering if there is any to prevent futire rust by covering the metal areas with fiberglass, or creating a better drainage system for the cowl. I really hate how they totally messed up the engineering in this area.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:51 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's a link to a site that shows the extreme way

http://mcspeed.homestead.com/Vacation.html

Get notified of new replies

To How to fix windshield frame Rot?

Quick Reply: How to fix windshield frame Rot?