C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarked Steering Column?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 10:22 AM
zZArAZz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarked Steering Column?

Anyone using one of those billet columns? If so a part number would be appreciated! This is for my 81 btw.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

What is a btw?

I assume it is a Corvette. Why do you want to replace the T&T column with a billet? The 1981 Corvette came with a second generation, T&T, energy absorbing (EA) steering column manufactured at Saginaw Steering Gear Division.

The T&T column that came with your car was designed to absorb energy and collapse in a controlled manner in a severe frontal collision. The billet columns that I am familiar with are rigid and do not have that safety feature. For vehicles that are driven on the public highways, I do not recommend replacing the original design EA steering column(s) with a rigid design.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:46 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 392 Likes on 238 Posts

http://www.flaming-river.com/vette-tilt.htm

If I ever replace the column, this is what I'm going with.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:33 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Jim,
Are the '69 T&T's energy adsorbing?
Old 10-08-2004, 09:05 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to hijack, but what does it take to retrofit a collapsible column to a '77 car? or can a simple part be added when rebuilding?

-Chris
Old 10-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Summerfun
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey_68
http://www.flaming-river.com/vette-tilt.htm

If I ever replace the column, this is what I'm going with.
Corey_68,

I linked to that 'flaming-river' site and browsed through the index.
Would you know which of those steering wheel adapters would fit our C3's? I presume that all their steering wheels would fit their adapters......not so obviously stupid assumption.

I apologize as well for the hijack, zZArAZz!!
Old 10-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

All General Motors passenger cars have had energy absorbing steering columns since 1969. Whether the steering columns are standard (non-adjustable), tilt, or T&T they are all designed to collapse and absorb energy.

All 1969 through 1976 Corvette steering columns are interchangeable.

The 1977 through 1982 Corvette steering columns are interchangeable.

The steering columns have to be designed to collapse and absorb energy in concert with the crush characteristics of a particular vehicle chassis.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:26 PM
codestar7
Burning Brakes

Default Steering

I posted a thread yesterday about my 73 steering column being too short to bolt into the 2 bolt mount at the bottom of the dash after a wreck. I got one answer and in affect he said "time for a new column". Now that may seem simple and fix the problem, but I'm not a rich man and if I just sent my car out to be rebuilt it would cost a small fortune. Anyone else know anything about the colapsable steering column in a 1973 corvette?
Old 10-08-2004, 10:57 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The energy absorbing section of the GM steering columns consist of three elements.
1). The steering shaft consists of two pieces that are held in place by injected plastic.
2). The backdrive tube that surrounds the steering shaft is also made of two tubular pieces and is also held in place by a section of injected plastic.
3). The large metal jacket of the steering column consists of two pieces. There are interference fit ball bearings between the two parts that actually plow metal and absorb energy as the two jacket parts slide over each other.

All three of these components have now telescoped onto each other. The plastic is sheared in parts 1) and 2). You can pull the steering shaft back out to its original length. I doubt that the backdrive tube can be pulled back.

The inner and outer jacket tubes have now telescoped over each other and the ball bearings have formed grooves in the two tubes. I would think that if you could extend the tubes back to their original length, the column would now have a "broken back". In other words, the steering column would be limp and wobbely as it extends out of the dash.

I would think that you should be able to obtain a standard (non-adjustable) steering column quite reasonably. I know of several forum members that have posted and have converted to T&T columns in the last year or so. They may be glad to get rid of their original columns and help a fellow member.

I really don't think that you will be happy trying to reuse a steering column that has already performed its ultimate function. It probably saved the life of the operator that smashed into it.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:36 AM
codestar7
Burning Brakes

Default One more thing

Thats very interesting. Thank you for all the information. My consternation is primaraly due to the myrid of other important and more pressing matters I have to deal with in the restoration of this 73. It's the only one I have and I'de like to drive it again. I'm kinda like "Monk" in my restoration procedures, "The devil is in the details" and to restore the front of the car ismy priority the interior has taken a back seat, so to speak. I'l no doubt have to deal with the issue of the colapsed steering wheel soon. Its just another "Thing"..LOL

I would like to inquire of any members who have updated or might have a column hanging on a hook in the garage, I could use it, I understand 68 to 82 are cross able, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:55 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The 1967 and 1968 columns are the same. They will not interchange with the 1969 or later C3s.

The 1969 through 1976 columns are identical. Standard (non-adjustable) and T&Ts will interchange.

The 1977 column has a wiper switch and headlight dimmer this column is slightly larger than the 69-76 column as it passes into your instrument cluster. Standard and T&Ts will interchange.

The 1978 through 1982 has the headlight dimmer only and is the same size as the 1977 column. Standard and T&Ts will interchange.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:15 AM
websparks
Heel & Toe

I wish you luck ... my '76 has been sidelined for two months trying to get this *%^$* column rebuilt. I would urge that you start giving this some thought sooner rather than later; for me. it has turned out to be a huge problem and after two months and hundreds of dollars, the problem remains with no end in immediate sight.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:06 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

websparks,
Rather than hijack this thread, why don't you post a new message with a description of your problem. I am sure that some of us members can probably assist with your rebuild problem(s).
Old 10-10-2004, 07:29 PM
websparks
Heel & Toe

Jim,

Didn't mean to hijack, but this whole topic of steering columns gets me spooled up.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarked Steering Column?

Quick Reply: Aftermarked Steering Column?