C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You ready for this one? I think I found my engine miss.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 03:33 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default You ready for this one? I think I found my engine miss.

Here's my first post about my recent engine miss.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=915441

Well I replaced the plug wires and the coil....no change. Then I noticed that the engine began to miss right after my spal fans "kicked-on."

I was baffeled. So I disconnected the fan wires leading to the temperature switch....miss is gone? Engine runs great. I connect one of the leads back to the sending unit....no miss! I connect the other wire to the same sending unit and I start getting a miss???

Any ideas? Should I have two separate sending units and have each fan have it's own sending unit?
Old 10-06-2004, 03:36 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

closest i can guess is gremlins, can you use the same power supply for the other fan?
Old 10-06-2004, 03:40 PM
trotter73
Advanced

I'm wondering, are the fans wired to a relay? I'm not an expert ( so don't anyone jump on me), but I was wondering if they were wired to a relay maybe that would help. I had an electric fan hooked up once and my buddy wired it through a relay that had 4 or 5 connections
Old 10-06-2004, 03:48 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the voltage running the ignition system when the fans go on. If there is a large drop, find another source for the fan supply.
Bob
Old 10-06-2004, 03:48 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you running the stock 42 amp alternator? Maybe you're exceding the capacity of the system. What kind of current draw are you experiencing with both fans running and what does the voltage dip to?

I will be installing the same setup & maybe electric headlight operators. I also plan to upgrade to a higher output alternator.

Jim
Old 10-06-2004, 03:58 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running dual Spals with both gray leads connected directly to a single sending unit with no problems. The orange leads are connected to the ignition switch. The yellow leads are connected directly to the battery. The red leads are connected to the fans. The black leads are connected to the engine PS head. None of the wires were spliced or cut. I just crimped connectors on the ends of the wires and fastened them down. I'm not even using an alternator...yet. Heck, I'm even running MSD w/a HVC coil. If it's a matter of current, mine should be doing it too!

You got me...
Old 10-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jughead
I connect one of the leads back to the sending unit....no miss! I connect the other wire to the same sending unit and I start getting a miss???
Does it do the same thing if you connect the fans in the reverse order? Or does it start to miss when you connect that one fan. I guess I'm trying to determine if it is a power draw issue or an issue with that one fan and/or its wiring.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Fans are running thru 2 realys.

The alternator is SB stock, don't know the amp.
This setup worked great when I had my SB in there. I think the SB put a voo-doo curse on the wiring and the BB before it left the car.

I have the red wires going directly to the fans.

The yellow wires are running to the 30A fuses and then the outer most starter terminal.

The orange wires I have running to a red wire which I believe runs off the winshield wipers.

Like I said this setup worked great 2 months ago.

What's that Italian curse....Scala-ma-gooch? Maybe I got some of that too.

It felt good though, going foward about 10 ft over and over again.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:27 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of ignition are you running? The outermost terminal on the starter goes to the coil on the stock systems. My MSD doesn't use it, though. I left it unused. Perhaps you have some noise getting into the coil from the fans. Try connecting the yellow to the big dog on the starter.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by CGGorman
What kind of ignition are you running? The outermost terminal on the starter goes to the coil on the stock systems. My MSD doesn't use it, though. I left it unused. Perhaps you have some noise getting into the coil from the fans. Try connecting the yellow to the big dog on the starter.

Stock ignition.

Outermost = passenger side.

Both yellows? I gotta wait until the behemoth cools down.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Bobchad
Does it do the same thing if you connect the fans in the reverse order? Or does it start to miss when you connect that one fan. I guess I'm trying to determine if it is a power draw issue or an issue with that one fan and/or its wiring.
It was a while ago that I did this, but I think I narrowed it down to just being affected with the one fan lead to the temperature sender.

I could be wrong, I'll try again later.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:44 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Originally Posted by 70BBvert
Are you running the stock 42 amp alternator? Maybe you're exceding the capacity of the system.

This is the most likely cause. Monitor the voltage at the alternator - if you notice a significant drop when both fans come on (maybe 3 volts or more) your alternator is not able to supply enough current.
This would explain your miss because the drop in voltage would be seen throughout the entire car including your ignition system. Either your alternator is worn out or it just doesn't have a high enough current generating capacity. Your battery may be contributing to the problem if it is weak.
Good Luck & thanks for keeping us posted this is an interesting problem.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:57 PM
humiliategravity
Instructor

I would be surprised if it's the alternator. A lot of racers take their alternator off completely without consequence to the engine... my understanding is that it's just to keep your battery charged.

I think it's a strange enough problem that your test is worth repeating. Make double-sure that it's the second temperature switch lead that causes the miss. If it is, then maybe the minimal current draw from the switched-on fans triggers a larger current draw from the battery (I assume the fans are directly hooked up to the positive battery terminal or starter?) and diminishes the voltage output from the distributor.

Try your temperature switch lead test while jumping the battery - that will tell you if it's a current output problem.

Good luck!

Dave
Old 10-06-2004, 04:59 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Last week when I was trying to get the engine running I noticed that a few times, the engine just quit! I now think it was shutting off just when the fans kicked on?
Old 10-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Steve's74
Burning Brakes

Last week when I was trying to get the engine running I noticed that a few times, the engine just quit! I now think it was shutting off just when the fans kicked on?
Get a voltmeter and check the system voltage. At idle your alternator isn't spinning fast enough to put out lots of current, and I bet those fans pull a lot. If you have the stock alternator, running at idle the voltage could possibly drop low enough to affect the ignition.

Steve
Old 10-07-2004, 12:22 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Alternator-
If you go to electric fans, you need to upgrade your electrical system also IMHO for longevity.

Your ignition has a voltage tolerance spec, and with the dual fans, you are going beyond the alternators power limit and going out of voltage regulation.

Get an 85Amp alternator, the 85Amp belt (its longer and you'll need it) and a good battery like an Optima. Check out Parts America.com for the belt and alternator part numbers.

My guess is troubles will be gone.

Wiring should direct to battery for fans power also so there is no pull from the circuit that provides power to your ignition. This would cause a drop in voltage to the ignition module and could even cause a fire if the wiring overheated.

Brent...

Last edited by MN-Brent; 10-07-2004 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:24 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my first post about my recent engine miss.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=915441

Well I replaced the plug wires and the coil....no change. Then I noticed that the engine began to miss right after my spal fans "kicked-on."

I was baffeled. So I disconnected the fan wires leading to the temperature switch....miss is gone? Engine runs great. I connect one of the leads back to the sending unit....no miss! I connect the other wire to the same sending unit and I start getting a miss???

Any ideas? Should I have two separate sending units and have each fan have it's own sending unit?
HAVE THE ALT REWIRED. I just had mine changed from a 62A to a 94A and now all of a sudden, my A/C runs full speed at idle, and my lights don't dim at night ....

Get notified of new replies

To You ready for this one? I think I found my engine miss.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:09 AM
PRESSURERAT
Pro

That stock alternator has got to go! Remember, that 42(or 62 or whatever it is) amps is at 2500 rpms and up, not at idle. If it is a low speed only miss, that is probably your problem. More power captain!
Old 10-07-2004, 01:33 AM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you found the problem. Why don't you install a mech eng-driven fan? A reg flex fan works good for 427hotrod Jim - should work ok with your BB too.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:41 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Fans are running thru 2 realys.

The alternator is SB stock, don't know the amp.
This setup worked great when I had my SB in there. I think the SB put a voo-doo curse on the wiring and the BB before it left the car.

I have the red wires going directly to the fans.

The yellow wires are running to the 30A fuses and then the outer most starter terminal.

The orange wires I have running to a red wire which I believe runs off the winshield wipers.

Like I said this setup worked great 2 months ago.

What's that Italian curse....Scala-ma-gooch? Maybe I got some of that too.

It felt good though, going foward about 10 ft over and over again.
There should be a number stamped into your alternator giving the amps. Maybe some electrical guru can tell you if a low amp alternator will drag the engine down. Sounds logical.
Gary

Quick Reply: You ready for this one? I think I found my engine miss.