C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which engine would you install if you didn't want a Chevy in your Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 08:24 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good deal, Dep. I can't think of a better reason than, "just to try it".
Old 10-05-2004, 08:28 PM
PRESSURERAT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like one of those big Saturn V booster rocket engines in my ride.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:30 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Traitor! And what the he// kind of question is this anyway?
Old 10-05-2004, 08:30 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Rotory with 3 rotors.

Pontiac would be the easiset swap and an improvement in torque over the small blocks. At one time u could buy a 400" pontiac for pocket change and make 400 hp / 400 ft-lbs with just stock parts and cam change (455" a little more hp but gobs more torque). Good luck finding good Pontiac engines now.
The triple rotor rotories would really lighten up the front end and balance the sharks weight front & rear. But this would be a dedicated performance effort with relocated porting for a 10,000 rpm motor. I read the rotories won at LeMans so impresively (1, 2, 3) that they were band from competing there again. Combine a rotory with suspention improvements for a circuit track corvette could be interesting.
Last choice would be a all aluminum motor like the LS1. But this seems like as much an effort as a rotory swap would with all the new motor mounts, electronics, plumbing, transmission fit-up.
But since the aftermarket has started to sell new Gen I blocks with all the big improvements, I'll stick with my sb Chevy in a displacement and a bolt up transmission combo that suits my needs. cardo0
Old 10-05-2004, 08:41 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

regarding the ford SOHC 427 you have to ask yourself,

what real advantage is gained in an overhead cammed engine.

you have this huge abortion that wont really fit in anything other than a land yaht for the sake of having the OHC.

Blowers and turbos are used to get the hp not rpm.

Chevrolet wasn't afraid to say the emperor isn't wearing any clothes in regard to the overhead camming issue and developing the LS1 as a conventional pushrod engine making great power in a package that'll actually fit in a sports car.

I am partial to Buick because i owned a GN and never really lost a street race. What an ego builder and a fun car. I used to rock.

I see them running 11.90s with no mods at New England Dragway.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:45 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Buick GN 3.8 turbo.
THere's a guy on the forum with a C4 with a twin turbo version in it. Hellaciously fast! 10.X 1/4 miles.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:47 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cardo your RPM figures are a tadd off they were turning 21OOORPM not 10ooorpm. And the reason they did not turn more RPM was because they could not get a fuel injection system to keep up with the engine beyound that.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:29 PM
Summerfun
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
I company I used to own used this in a specialized aircraft; 640 HP was conservative - power upt to 1800 HP was more than possible.

http://www.falconerengines.com/prod04.htm
I fancy that thing!!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Summerfun
Race Director

Hey, what's wrong with you all....

Ever seen a Shark Spit Fire.....27 liters of it??

Seriously though I love my Vette and it's a Chevy, so I'll stay
with Chevy ......those C3 lines are Chevy lines, they deserve a Chevy.

I'm just crazy, so BB for me!

I love all cars and I say WOW every time I open the hood on my SL600 for that thing is just an amazing piece of engineering....

But.....when I sit behind the wheel of that 30 year old Vette for a silent moment and adore those lines (and yes, that F&&%$# thing is PRETTY as heck!!)
With a twinkle of delight reach forward and turn the key after two quick pumps of the throttle
That thing rumbles to a thunder that makes my heart skip a beat
in satisfaction
Give her a shot of gas and she twists the front sideways....HEAVEN

I'm telling you all, there's nothing like it!!

The other cars are all sweet and nice, but this BB Vette is my baby.....my Chevy baby, and she'll keep her Chevy heart for as long as I own her.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:13 PM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

You guys haven't seen wadded undies 'till you've visited www.clubcobra.com and asked the same question, but about putting a Chevrolet engine into the almighty Cobra.

I'd LOVE to save some serious billies and swap in a Chevy when my 289 finally gives up the ghost, but it seems that you can't even give away a Cobra unless it's got a Ford engine in it.

Oh, and to answer the original question; 427 SO Ford.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:34 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by SHAKERATTLEROLL
Cardo your RPM figures are a tadd off they were turning 21OOORPM not 10ooorpm. And the reason they did not turn more RPM was because they could not get a fuel injection system to keep up with the engine beyound that.
You really need to double check your thoughts/reading. I stated what rpm I wanted and never tried to imply what was used at LeMans. Ya kinda spoil my meassage and the rest of thread with a dumb butt argument.
cardo0
Old 10-05-2004, 11:53 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Okay guys...let's not degenerate into personal attacks. All this is in good fun. A few more comments...

Please read my ORIGINAL post:
"So if you had your choice of ANY other engine (in production or out of production) to drop in your Vette, what would it be?"

Note it says any OTHER engine. So picking the Chevy small block or big block is a non-choice. If you're gonna contribute, please READ the original post before replying.

cardo0: Pontiac is an interesting choice, especially since many Pontiac owners swap in big block Chevy engines to their Ponchs. Properly set up, a big block monster Pontaic motor can produce some killer power.
And the engines ARE quite available for very reasonable cost. They even make aftermarket 4-bolt main blocks in steel and (soon) aluminum.
Also aluminum Ram Air 4 heads. LOL...a 455 Pontiac in a Vette...imagine the reaction to THAT installation.

Those referring to the 455 Buick...ewwww
Small valves (they used to call them "nail valves"), poorly designed heads, no RPM, even the "Stage/GSX" Buicks were slugs.
I place them with the 460 Ford engines. A nice highway cruiser in an Electra 225.

turtlevette : "...what real advantage is gained in an overhead cammed engine."

Well I suggest you ask Ford that directly. Since their 4.6 litre/390 horsepower Cobra engine IS STILL a DOHC engine. I guess the DOHC idea wasn't so bad after all. And that "land yacht" engine STILL put out MORE horsepower in stock trim than an L-88 or hemi. They managed to squeeze it into Mustangs and Comets and pretty much ANY Ford vehicle of that time. Don't forget things were built a bit larger than they are now. And the 427 cammer was NEVER intended for sports car use.
But I'd still like to see one in a Vette

Dep
Old 10-06-2004, 12:09 AM
jn76vette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Assuming that someone is forcing me to us somthing else and I have an unlimited budget, I'd have to go with the company who has the most wins in F1, a Ferrari Formula 1 engine.

BTW, old Fords never die, they just get Chevy implants.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:19 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

First On Race Day
Follow Our Rear Deck

Old 10-06-2004, 12:28 AM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

Originally Posted by turtlevette
you have this huge abortion that wont really fit in anything other than a land yaht for the sake of having the OHC.

On a note like that ( a note which nearly caused a nasty brown streak in my underwear, not to mention I woke up my roomie laughing) Cant we all agree to disagree and let the sleeping dogs lie here? I mean hey, we all got opinions, but sometimes discretion ISS the better part of valour!

Old 10-06-2004, 12:32 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

I have a Keith Black aluminum block and Brodix heads. I also have a Keith Black 454 crank. I'm planning upon putting this in my 1970 Big Block. It looks like I'll be using a Richmond 5 speed since I've already bought it. It never occurred to me that some people would be dismayed to find an engine in the car that wasn't a GM engine...that is never occurred to me until I started reading messages in this forum!!!
Old 10-06-2004, 12:37 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
I have a Keith Black aluminum block and Brodix heads. I also have a Keith Black 454 crank. I'm planning upon putting this in my 1970 Big Block. It looks like I'll be using a Richmond 5 speed since I've already bought it. It never occurred to me that some people would be dismayed to find an engine in the car that wasn't a GM engine...that is never occurred to me until I started reading messages in this forum!!!
Don't let the "purists" get to you. Virtually NOTHING going into my Vette engine/driveline will be made by Chevy. What you are installing is no doubt an excellent setup. Most guys are probably drooling with envy over it.

Dep

Get notified of new replies

To Which engine would you install if you didn't want a Chevy in your Vette?

Old 10-06-2004, 12:48 AM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

Originally Posted by DJ Dep
Don't let the "purists" get to you. Virtually NOTHING going into my Vette engine/driveline will be made by Chevy. What you are installing is no doubt an excellent setup. Most guys are probably drooling with envy over it.

Dep
Oh dont worry kiddo I can relate. Hell, even the BLOCK Im using isnt TECHNICALLY a Chevy block, its a 9.025" deck 4 bolt cast outside of GM. My car, regardless of engine, is still a CHEVY. The spirit of my car will always be a chevy, no matter what goes into it, because there will always be SOME parts of the car that are Chevy, and those are the parts I love the best. The sheetmetal, the styling, the LEGEND. Thats why I have a Chev.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:08 AM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Cordo Bro no argument here just the facts. I stated the RPM numbers for more of a WOW of what those little motors can do.

So I will let everyone get back to play time and please do not spill the orange juice and leave cookie crumbs for the ants
Old 10-06-2004, 02:38 AM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

If it pleases the audience. On the subject of the 390hp cobra and the greatness of OHC vs OHV, well the 4.6L blown cobra engine isnt doing better than a blown 4.8L Gen 3 small block from GM. The truck engine is probably cammed alot milder as well.

Just my .02

Quick Reply: Which engine would you install if you didn't want a Chevy in your Vette?