C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F'N shifter won't come outa reverse!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default F'N shifter won't come outa reverse!

:

I bet I had that linkage apart a dozen times today trying to figure this out. 1-4 works great and with the new Comp+ the shifts are short & solid. That is until I try to backup. Then it locks into reverse and I can't get it out. If I yank on the shifter down and towards second gear it'll pop out reluctantly.

Is my reverse rod too long maybe? Too short?

There doesn't seem to be any interference between the other rods, and once I get the shifter out of reverse(very hard to do) 1-4 work great until I put it into reverse again.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:42 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,671 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Check the rod for binding on the 1-2 rod? Will it engage/disengage with the rod off using a wrench? Just asking tobe sure it's not in the tranny.

I bought a new Comp+ last year and it was total junk. I sent it back 3 times and even to the Hurst repair facility in NV. After a month getting no where, I ended up fixing it myself. Works good now.

The quality of the new product doesn't compare to the original companys. Too bad,maybe they never heard fo ISO?
Gary
Old 10-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not long after I put in my Comp+, I started getting binding between the linkage and the crossmember...the rubber transmission mount had gotten soggy and settled, eliminating the normal clearance. I just shimmed it back up where it belonged, and no more problems. You should be able to see any binding (outside the transmission case, anyway) if you jack up and look while someone is shifting.

Otherwise, I suspect your linkage still isn't adjusted quite right, I've been there and done that too! When you set your rod length with the nuts on the back of the linkage rods, did you have all the shift gates locked in neutral with the 1/4" spacer, and the reverse lever on the transmission in the forward position? I'd try once more. It doesn't take much to cause gears to stick/lock.

Last of all, I recall that this is a fresh rebuilt M-22 transmission...do you know for certain that everything is together O.K. inside (i.e., has it ever been street proven to work properly before your install?)? I'd hate to think it was anything that drastic, but if it's never been driven, you never know.

Let us know what the problem turns out to be!

-Roy
Old 10-04-2004, 02:56 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

ISO does not prevent you from building crap. It just ensures you consistently build crap.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Neutral turns out to be with the top of the reverse lever pointing backward towar the driver and the bottom pointing to the front. I know this for a fact because it was stuck in reverse when I tried to install the driveshaft last week. The yoke would not spin reely (neutral) unless the reverse lever pointed to the back.

I remember forum member Bob helping me with my M-20 a few years ago. He said the top of the reverse lever should point back???

Yes, I did the neutral alignment a dozen times too.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:22 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Stupid question, but can the levers be removed and reoriented?
Old 10-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by CGGorman
Stupid question, but can the levers be removed and reoriented?

The 1-2 and 3-4 levers can be reversed depending on clearance with the the other. One is off-set a tad and the other not. The rods too must be situated in such a way as to avoid interference with the other rods. That's what's puzzling me. The reverse rod is out of the way and doesn't appear to be hitting or hanging up on anything.

It's a very difficult one man job.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:34 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Does this help?

This is the 25 year old Hurst Comp+ on the M-20 I rebuilt out of my 69.It has worked great since the day I bought it.

Gary
Old 10-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Great Gary, but I think that's exactly how I have my rods setup.

The position of the reverse lever is what I was trying to describe. The tranny pictured should be in neutral.

Could you take a picture of the reverse rod where it joins the shifter? I'd like to see how far up the rod the connector is screwed. Approximately how many threads are exposed.

You know what's really funny? This shifter worked just fine when I had it fitted to the tranny when the engine/tranny weren't in the car yet.

Last edited by Jughead; 10-04-2004 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:49 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

I can take more pictures but I won't be in the shop for a couple of days. There are 2 different rods for reverse I believe,1- Muncies 1- BW ST-10's They come in the same kit.

Zwede- you are correct about ISO!

Gary
Old 10-04-2004, 09:03 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I had a similar problem recently could not figure it out had to pull the tranny, mine would not go into reverse, turns out I had the lever on the bottom of the reverse gear and it shoule have been connected on the top ( or vise-versa can't remember now )

It was a Super T 10 though
Old 10-04-2004, 09:25 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr1999

I was just going to post the same picture. That is exactly how mine looks at the moment, except I attached the shifter handle

Sounds like the linkage or the shifter is binding. Try disconnecting the reverse bracket from the transmission & shifting in & out of reverse to eliminate the shifter. You'll need someone in the car to shift with the linkage assembled to see if its binding.

You do have the reverse lockout cable & reverse switch disconnected - yes? If not disconnect them first to eliminate any problems in those areas.

Jim
Old 10-04-2004, 11:48 PM
PRESSURERAT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, too, have the Comp + shifter on my M-20. I couldn't get the alignment pin in the shifter once it was in the car. The only way I was able to adjust it was to have the wife work the shfter and lay underneath and watch/adjust.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:20 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Here you go, I made a special trip just for you!

Old 10-05-2004, 07:58 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 88 Posts

Len,

I had the same problem recently with my stock shifter. The linkage on the 1-2 rod was about 1/8" off. Once I found its happy place, she comes out of reverse. Tweak the 1-2 rod length by this amount and see what happens.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks Gary, I owe you one.

I'll check that out Jay, or I'll only use 1-4 and avoid reverse.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:03 PM
GTLocke13
Instructor

I had the same problem, but it was an entirely different cause. My clutch wasn't fully disengaging. I ran the clutch adjustment out a little bit and voila! Problem gone. You have to get the clutch FULLY disengaged or it will stick in reverse.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:07 PM
GTLocke13
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jughead
You know what's really funny? This shifter worked just fine when I had it fitted to the tranny when the engine/tranny weren't in the car yet.

Didn't read that before I posted. I think I may have hit the nail right on the head. If you put in a new clutch when you dropped the tranny this is almost definitely it. I had to run my adjustment all the way to the end of the rod to get it working right.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:10 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Well see, there's plenty of us here that drive in reverse all the time. Some of us wouldn't recognize first gear if it could talk. Just get in an buckle up then backup all the way man.
BTW can u buy one of them truck monkeys that can drive too?

Get notified of new replies

To F'N shifter won't come outa reverse!

Quick Reply: F'N shifter won't come outa reverse!