C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Steering Column - Upper Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 08:43 PM
websparks
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower Steering Column - Upper Bearing?

Guys,

Finally got the 76 T&T steering column out (thanks for the tech write-ups, Jim) and mostly disassembled. Seems as if the problem could be the upper bearing for the lower steering column. I say could be, because although there's no bearing there now, it seems necessary that there would have been one to provide support to the upper end of that lower shaft ... unless the upper end of the lower shaft was provided support by the centering sphere, which seems an unlikely design. My guess is the bearing assembly has returned to nature, but .... it's a guess. I can see no bearing in any exploded view, but I see a reference to one in Corvette Central's on-line catalogue ... but no diagram.

Any information about refurbishment/repair of the lower steering shaft assembly would be appreciated ... also, where can parts be had for this arrangement? Corvette Central looks to have some bearings for this, but again, the information is scant.

Lastly, looks as if the lower steering shaft assembly has to come out through the top of the jacket assembly before the support and gear shift lever bowl (figure 7 on page 3 of the C3 T&T Column write-up) can be removed ... tips? pointers? directions to the local junkyard?

Thanks, Mike
Old 09-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Your guess was correct. There is no upper bearing for the lower steering shaft assembly.

Please refer to the blowup picture:

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/T&TCol...cRev03FE04.doc

The upper steering shaft is held in place by two bearings. The lower steering shaft #47 is positioned by the centering sphere.

Adjustable steering columns have lower flanges that must be removable since the lower steering shaft has to load down through the steering column jacket.

You didn't mention why you are completely tearing down your 1976 T&T column. If you have play in the upper end, you may need to replace the steering shaft bearings #39 and #21 and that are located in the Bearing Housing #24.

There really aren't any unusual tricks to removing and replacing the lower bearing #68 and adapter #67 that are down on the very end of the steering column. Just remove the round wire retainer clip #70 and the retainer #69 and the lower bearing should come out (unless they are rusted in place.)

My apologies - sometimes the line drawings and the blowup picture do not call a part by the same name. #69 is called a Lower Bearing Reinforcement in the blowup. It is called a Retainer in picture #7.
Also the line drawings are pretty generic. The blowup is fairly accurate for the C3 Vette.

The only real problem area would be if you were trying to remove the shift tube assembly from the bowl. You do need the special removal and installation tools.

You will note Housing Extension #60 and Housing Cover #59 are shown on the blowup but not shown on Picture #7, Page 3 of the line drawings. The extension and cover attach to the jacket and are fixed. The bowl attaches to the shift tube. Now when you shift into REVERSE with a manual trans or into PARK with an automatic, the bowl underneath the Housing Cover rotates with the shift tube but it is hidden so you can't see it.

Good luck

Last edited by Jim Shea; 09-08-2004 at 07:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Lower Steering Column - Upper Bearing?