C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Frame Welded

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 06:24 PM
rustbucket80
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Frame Welded

MY frame has a few spots rusted the whole way through. The worst spot is under the drivers side door towards the front it has about a 1" X 3" hole completly rusted through.Also a few spots on the back where the frame starts to go up towards the back wheel. Can these frames be safley welded without removing the body ? Have any of you reading this had a lot of frame damage repaired without a body off restoration? Do any of you know of a shop that could do this , For a reasonable price , around Lancaster PA. ?
Old 09-06-2004, 08:31 PM
75rag4sp
Racer

I had the Guys at Mic's Auto do some welding on my Caddy. The Corvette may be a different animal with the fiberglass body. tale a look at micsauto.com they are on the Pa NJ boarder.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:34 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Others that have been there done that should chime in but if it looks bad with the body on it will probably be worse when you get the body off
This looked salvagable until I pulled the body off

Steve
Old 09-06-2004, 08:39 PM
tbakowsky
Intermediate

The frames on these cars are very prone to rust in the area you have described. It maybe a good idea to explore the rocker chanel and the rearward doorjam metal(were the door stricker is located) for rust aswell. You may have to cut some fiberglass to further investigate this. You can remove the access panel in the rear wheel well for the body mount for a quick check. You will need a good flash light and a scrapper. To check the rocker channel..remove the lower trim peice the goes under the door. Reach up underneith between the frame of the car and the fiberglass. You will feel some metal under there. If you can move this metal with just finger pressure or if it starts flakeing away then you have some rust issues that will need to be taken care of.

HTH

Tom.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:47 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

STPMan, did you drive the car when it was like that and could
you feel the frame flexing. Has anyone seen one actually break in half in use?
Bob
Old 09-06-2004, 08:49 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

I bought the car like that knowing the frame was bad turned out to be worse than we all thought.

Steve

Last edited by stpman; 09-06-2004 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:55 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

My frame was similarly hammered. Couldn't really see it fully until the body came off. This can be very dangerous to drive. Also, fiberglass is flammable! Welding in close proximity to the body could cause a fire.

If you are serious about your car - pull the body off. Repairing the frame is no small job. In fact, I replaced my entire frame (found an 82 frame for $200.00 or so) Had to fab up the rear part but it came out straight as a rail and the body fit the first time!

If you don't think the car is worth it - get rid of it and start with another. Just my 2 cents...
Old 09-07-2004, 05:25 AM
Burnt71
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a place in West Chester called County Corvettes they are not far from you but it will cost you big time.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:20 AM
rustbucket80
Racer

Default stpman

How could that frame you pictured stay together?
Old 09-07-2004, 08:18 AM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rustbucket80
How could that frame you pictured stay together?

That was the worst side and it didn't take much to cut throught it but believe it or not it held my weight when I stood on it

Steve
Old 09-07-2004, 01:59 PM
rustbucket80
Racer

Originally Posted by stpman
That was the worst side and it didn't take much to cut throught it but believe it or not it held my weight when I stood on it

Steve
After seeing that I think I will stop driving it. On the way home from Carlisle , The Pennsylvania roads took a toll on it . The drivers side door doesnt seem to line up anymore. I think it could be the frame has started give. At least I got one last summer out of it.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Frame Welded

Quick Reply: Need Frame Welded