C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a new garage-should I put in a pit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 03:51 PM
kermit1654
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a new garage-should I put in a pit?

The foundation guys are due to start work next week. I was wonder if anybody had a pit in their garage? You know, like the ones at Jiffy Lube. Seems like it would be awfully handy? I was thinking of a something about 45" wide, 6 foot deep and 15 feet long. Figure if it won't add a whole lot to the overall cost. Anybody done this or thought about it?
Old 09-02-2004, 03:57 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Check your local laws, it may violate code to have one in a residential garage. If thats not a problem then I think it would be a great idea.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Jack71
Drifting

They are illegal in some states. (unless you have enough money to pay off towns like Jiffy Lube)

I think it would be really handy. You would have to cover it with some type of metal grate when its not in use.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Very cool idea.....

A buddy has a pit in his floor, and it is ideal for installing headers, some exhaust work, and buttoning-up motor/tranny swaps.....

His is actually about 20" narrower at the bottom than the top, but the sides are not 'tapered':
about a foot below the floor, he had 'shelves (or a 'step')', about 10" wide on each side of the pit, built right into the concrete.
He also had recessed-lighting installed into the sides of the pit, above the shelves (easy to see and find tools), and a few in the lower area (in-case something falls...), and a few electrical outlets, as-well.....

I only helped him a few times, but it made header swaps and such very easy, and the built-in shelves, for tools, nuts and bolts, and small parts, was very handy, too.....
Old 09-02-2004, 04:01 PM
jn76vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

My dad had put one in. They are very useful. If you plan on servicing trucks or SUV's, consider making it 5.5 ft deep or getting something to stand on. Otherwise you may find yourself on tip toes to get to the oil filter.

Last edited by jn76vette; 09-02-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:02 PM
75rag4sp
Racer

I thought about it a lot rolling around on my floor putting in a suspension kit. I also thought a lot about side exhaust after fighting it all weekend. But I'f I was biulding new I would definately either put in a pit or a 12' ceiling with a high lift door and a car lift. there were nice lifts at Carlisle with $3200 selling price...Not cheap but think of the Convience!!! Only problem with the pit is:

1: It may not be as cheap as you think
2: You will still have to use jack stands for any job requiring wheel removal
3: I expect there will jobs that you just cant get at from the top or the bottom.
4: There is a safty issue especially if you have small kids.

With a $3200 lift I think I would go lift and high garage. Just my $.02. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:10 PM
jn76vette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 75rag4sp
There is a safty issue especially if you have small kids.
We have a lip aroud it so it can be covered with boards. A hassle to take them all off and put them back on, but it makes it a lot safer.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Much better to have a lift.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:15 PM
checklst
Racer

Lift is far safer than a pit (with kids around) and the cost for both would not be to far apart. Depend on you lot ,soil,drainage ect..., a pit could have some problems if not done right, and will probably require a special permit depending on your area, this might not be a good thing to throw at your contractor at this late date.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:18 PM
kermit1654
Instructor

Originally Posted by Glensgages
Very cool idea.....

A buddy has a pit in his floor, and it is ideal for installing headers, some exhaust work, and buttoning-up motor/tranny swaps.....

His is actually about 20" narrower at the bottom than the top, but the sides are not 'tapered':
about a foot below the floor, he had 'shelves (or a 'step')', about 10" wide on each side of the pit, built right into the concrete.
He also had recessed-lighting installed into the sides of the pit, above the shelves (easy to see and find tools), and a few in the lower area (in-case something falls...), and a few electrical outlets, as-well.....

I only helped him a few times, but it made header swaps and such very easy, and the built-in shelves, for tools, nuts and bolts, and small parts, was very handy, too.....
That sounds very cool! I planned to have some grates welded up to cover it when not in use. I live in small town well away from major cities. Codes may not be a problem but I'll check with the building inspector.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:19 PM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by checklst
Lift is far safer than a pit (with kids around) and the cost for both would not be to far apart. Depend on you lot ,soil,drainage ect..., a pit could have some problems if not done right, and will probably require a special permit depending on your area, this might not be a good thing to throw at your contractor at this late date.
AND ......... if you ever move it's easier taking a lift with you ...
Old 09-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kermit1654
That sounds very cool! I planned to have some grates welded up to cover it when not in use. I live in small town well away from major cities. Codes may not be a problem but I'll check with the building inspector.
One other thing:
he had steps 'poured' into the concrete at each end of his pit, to make it easy to enter/exit his pit, too.
I'm guessing it was 'just' 16'-18', from end-to-end, at garage-floor level, and maybe 10'-12' long at the base/floor of the pit.

We never bothered building grating or covering his pit;
his race-car 'sat' above it, and when we took it out racing, we'd put another car over it, to cover the pit...

If we needed the pit for another car, we'd simply push (tube-chassis '55 T-Bird) his race car out of the way for whatever we were tinkering-on...
Old 09-02-2004, 04:28 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with a lift. Safer, easier to move, and you gain storage for another car without adding square footage.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:33 PM
jn76vette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

If you do have a tall enough ceiling lifts are better. We have both, I prefer the lift.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:34 PM
kermit1654
Instructor

Originally Posted by 75Rag
AND ......... if you ever move it's easier taking a lift with you ...
If I get everything I plan to have in this garage, it gonna take a lot to ever get me to move. :-).
Old 09-02-2004, 04:43 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the pit doubling as a storm shelter?
Old 09-02-2004, 04:51 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,929 Likes on 1,935 Posts

The pit will be a massive financial negative if you ever want to re-sell your house; you would probably have to fill it in before trying to sell. They do not meet residential building codes in any state, and EPA permits are required for businesses installing them.

Skip the pit and install a lift. Since you're pouring concrete, you can have a thicker-than-normal pad poured at the lift post locations, and you can cast-in the mounting studs for a super-sturdy and safe installation. A lift gives you much more flexibility (especially a 2-post), and you can store a car under the one on the lift for increased storage capacity. A pit will be a thorn in your side.

Get notified of new replies

To Building a new garage-should I put in a pit?

Old 09-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Vetter Atl
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Depending on your lot, drainage may be an issue. If it has to be 5ft of concrete, on two sides and 3 on the others and the slab, you are talking about adding a good bit of concrete and rebar if you do it right. Concrete is pretty high right now.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:29 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,183 Likes on 489 Posts

If you are building the garage, specify a minimum of 12-1/2' of head room and put in a "clear floor" lift. This would also give you an additional parking space if you wanted/needed it. These can be had (installed) for about $3K. My truck lift (AutoLifter Asymetrical 9,000#/27,000# capacity) cost me $3K and $300 to deliver and install and they've come down in price since then.

OTOH, if you do a pit, you could also use it as a lap pool if you put a Jacuzzi jet at one end.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Blue Ace
Advanced

Go up with the roof and put in a lift.

Quick Reply: Building a new garage-should I put in a pit?