C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 Tilt Steering Column Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 01:34 PM
websparks
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 Tilt Steering Column Needs Help

Guys .... I have a tilt steering column assemby in my '76 that's got some grevious internal malady; you can grab the steering wheel and have the whole column, from the tilt lever upwards, orbit all about its range of travel. I little disconcerting when driving. I need to remove the column and either rebuild or replace it. I’ve seen no column internal parts for sale anywhere, although I have seen bearings mentioned but I suspect this is more than a bearing problem. Anyone heard of this? Any tech tips around on column removal?

Thanks to all that forwarded advice to me on replacing the power steering valve … that worked out well.

Regards, Mike
Old 08-31-2004, 02:53 PM
76greg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar problem with my 76 T&T. It moves up and down about 3/8 to 1/2 inch but no sideways movement when locked. I plan on rebuilding it this winter. What do I look for when I inspect the internals?

Greg
Old 08-31-2004, 03:48 PM
websparks
Heel & Toe

Greg ... 3/8 doesn't sound too bad - yet. At least it certainly beats the heck out of the 4-6 inches (literally) of side-to-side travel I now have. I'm not sure what to look for ... I'm frankly not too sure how to get the thing out and disassemble it yet -- although that's always the easy part, isn't it? One big issue is that once it's disassembled, if are there constituent parts available.

Mike
Old 08-31-2004, 04:28 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/T&TColumnD&R125AU04.doc

This is main document of Jim Shea's writeups on T&T column repair.

You can find the rest of them here towards the bottom of the page (look for "Tilt & Telescoping...")

http://www.corvettefaq.com/listing.asp?group=7

These guides are golden. Myself and many others have followed them.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:30 AM
i885744
Pro

go to the corvettefaq.com

hit steering
scroll all the way to the bottom
read all the tilt column assembly repair papers, they are absolutely fantastic. There are word documents with diagrams there as well. Good luck. If you have strong thumbs you don't even need any special tools. You'll see what i mean as soon as you get the steering wheel off.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:16 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The very first Tilt & Telescoping Steering Column Disassembly and Repair paper has a series of simple tests that you can conduct on your steering column. They should give you some ballpark ideas as to where the problem is and how to fix your looseness.

One basic problem has been the tilt support screws loosening and just needing to be locktited and retightened. That is the good news.

The bad news is that it is recommended that you remove the column from your car and disassemble the column upper end to access the screws.

The other good news - dropping and removing the column as well as a step by step procedure to tear down the column and tighten the four support screws are all included in the three papers.

My papers are quite wordy - lots of reading - but they are quite complete.

Good luck,

Just remember, more help is only a download or a Forum post away!
Old 09-01-2004, 06:18 AM
Pete76Shark
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I used Jim's papers and this is the way to go. Fixed the few problems my column had.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:23 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there a rebuild kit available? If not, Jim, what are the major wearing parts to replace?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-01-2004, 11:24 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

You need to try and understand what your problem is. There is no kit to just rebuild the T&T steering column. A very common problem is that four screws that attach the pivot support to the steering column jacket loosen with time. You need to disassemble the upper end of the steering column in order to locktite the screws and tighten them.

Download this paper: http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/T&TColumnD&R125AU04.doc

It will provide a start.

Jim
Old 09-02-2004, 12:51 AM
feb18blacksunday
Race Director

Location: Boone NC home of 3peat National Champs ASU Mountaineers
St. Jude Contributor

While you've got it out replace all switches. Or send it to Pinky who's a frequent here in c3. He rebuilds columns.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:48 AM
websparks
Heel & Toe

Default Column Pieces/Parts

Well, column disassembly is the weekend project - that and tearing down the passenger door internals to replace that missing window bushing - and while I'm at it, the door lock, handle mechanism, fasteners and seals -- which raises the question: is there a single window seal kit that has everything? Aalso looking for good tech tips on electric window repairs.

I definitely agree that the column switches are getting renewed under the "as long as I've got this apart/while I'm at it" policy, which I'm well acquainted with after years of Harley ownership.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To 76 Tilt Steering Column Needs Help

Quick Reply: 76 Tilt Steering Column Needs Help