C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will any superchargers fit under a L88 hood with BB engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 07:25 PM
White 68
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Will any superchargers fit under a L88 hood with BB engine ?

Any pictures or info on say a procharger/Ati or other type of supercharger that will fit under a L88 hood with a big block ?
Thanks ...
Old 08-22-2004, 08:49 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

TTT... I want to know too.

Actually I checked on this about 1.5 years ago and didn't find anything. As someone who has successfully run Vortech blowers for the decade of the '90s, I sure would like to put a centrifugal blower on my 454.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:55 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine is barely noticable sticking throgh the hood LOL
Old 08-22-2004, 08:55 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen a sb that had a roots blowers with a b&m 'hat' and twin weber side draft carbs on it, not sure what the hood clearence is but you could fab a bb style one if there is enough room. The l88 hood would not seem to give any additional room for a cent supercharger.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Simmo
Pro

Default Ive been pondering this one too.

L88 hood doesnt really help, Standard procharger kits are too wide and too high at front of hood. And they sit where my alternater does. Plus a D-1SC appears too big to fit in that space. Only option I can see for a centrifugal is two small C2 units, one each side, feeding into a low rise twin 4brl offenhauser manifold. Would have to find a place for alternater. I have PS which makes all the drive belts next to impossible.

Another option is Whipple screw blower. Their 2300 unit with rear injection intake is only 10" high including manifold. I measured that this morning and it should fit under the standard BBC hood. However not sure on drive snout/pulley which might foul and of course the dreaded drive belts etc.

Tell me what you find out, Ive been researching this for some time and really keen on the centrifgal type. There are smaller european units but they all seem to small and too expensive.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:59 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A Procharger would be a great mod if you could make it fit.

Very nice Car Norval
Old 08-22-2004, 10:12 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a c2 pictured in the procharger catalogue with is using the f-1. It is a 400block running a accel gen 7 DFI. I dont see why it wouldnt fit with a carb thuogh. TIt appears that the 63 is also running the stock sb hood. It is 2nd to the bottom. http://www.procharger.com/chevy.shtml
Old 08-22-2004, 10:27 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 69 N.O.X. RATT
A Procharger would be a great mod if you could make it fit.

Very nice Car Norval

Old 08-23-2004, 12:55 AM
Simmo
Pro

Default C2/C3 space under hood?

Is there more space on a C2 than a C3? Height and width. Are C3 guards wider. Or the hood lower?

The 1963 example is a small block though and small block heads are smaller than those thumping wide BBC heads. Must be a custom setup, but looks neat. Would be good to see it in real life with a ruler in hand. As the 63 has new injection system, I wonder if he has PS.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:19 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

I dont think the c2 engine compartment is any larger/smaller then the c3. I didnt notice that white68 was talking about a BB though. It would definately be a tight fit if it is possible. I would probably call ati and see if any of their c3 customers had success with installing in a BB.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:02 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

I've seen a picture of a centrifugal on an LT1 in a C3. I don't see why it couldn't fit. You just may not be able to use their mounting brackets. Big deal. Make your own.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:33 PM
dfseidel
Advanced

Originally Posted by lostpatrolman
I dont think the c2 engine compartment is any larger/smaller then the c3. I didnt notice that white68 was talking about a BB though. It would definately be a tight fit if it is possible. I would probably call ati and see if any of their c3 customers had success with installing in a BB.
I've called ATI on this... it seems that the problems will only inlude the front crossmember (2v's plus about 2") and from the front mounting plate to the rear of the intake snout is aobut 7" -- this will put it just
about centered on the end of the master cylinder if you have hydroboost or standard power assist. Other than that it should fit. They have gotten no feedback from the 12+ kits sold to c3'ers about final fit. (or so I understood)
Old 08-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Fevre
I have seen a sb that had a roots blowers with a b&m 'hat' and twin weber side draft carbs on it, not sure what the hood clearence is but you could fab a bb style one if there is enough room. The l88 hood would not seem to give any additional room for a cent supercharger.

This was on ebay, a nice magna charger (they are dellorto carbs but that doesn't make too much of a difference)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Dude has the lids swapped and upside down, the carbs are side drafts and should stick out horizontally.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:19 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

I think you will find the Vortech and Paxton will be tight. The L88 hood makes its room in the center where as you will need room towards the fenders. I have seen B&M supercharges with the flat side air filters on early model Mustangs ( ) that have a low rise hood. I think the guy I know is running a 177 series. It just barely misses the air cleaner assembly. As others posted, I wanted to go with Paxton on my 1970 with a Big Block hood and I was told I did not have the side clearance to make this fit. If memory servers me correctly... it was the suspension arm that was in the way....
Old 08-23-2004, 01:26 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

make that Weiand Superchargers....

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechSer...o/SCTech3.html

Okay... now I am getting interested again... hmmm

http://www.proficientperformance.com/procharger.htm

Last edited by Mr.Gearhead; 08-23-2004 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
This was on ebay, a nice magna charger (they are dellorto carbs but that doesn't make too much of a difference)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Dude has the lids swapped and upside down, the carbs are side drafts and should stick out horizontally.
That is a diff one, pretty though. This is the one I am talking about:

http://www.idavette.net/vpages/Gregorius.htm

Guy is running 11.5/1 compression though.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:22 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

That's just that air filter/adapter thing on top of the blower, I've seen those bolted to a normal manifold as well. I'm pretty sure B&M used to make those dual side draft adapters. 2 side drafts are not going to be able to feed your engine for very high HP numbers, you will need at laast 4.

Get notified of new replies

To Will any superchargers fit under a L88 hood with BB engine ?

Old 08-23-2004, 02:30 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Here you go:
A 63 with a ProCharger.
http://www.procharger.com/chevy.shtml
Old 08-23-2004, 03:19 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeC427
Here you go:
A 63 with a ProCharger.
http://www.procharger.com/chevy.shtml
But that's a smallblock.

I honestly think if you're a really good fabricator, you could run an ATI/Paxton/Vortech blower, but you would still have to do something with the front x-member. No matter what, you have to be able to drive the thing, which means an extra 1.5-2+" for a blower drive pulley on the crankshaft. There is interference staring you right in the face there. I'm not sure how this could effectively be modified and still maintain structural integrity, although I'm sure _someone_ has tried it.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:33 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
But that's a smallblock.
What's wrong with a smallblock! Why I oughta :

Quick Reply: Will any superchargers fit under a L88 hood with BB engine ?