C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my Lift Last Weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Motor City Vette
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 08-07-2004, 10:28 AM
1FUNVET
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW that is awesome looking!! Makes me wanna go out and buy a brand new house that I can choose how it looks and such and then have that garage built *special* to my specs!! Way to go!
Old 08-07-2004, 11:27 AM
69L71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

HGD:

God that you remembered about that lift collapse. That was me, and that's why I mentioned the pulley packs. I hope everybody who is thinking of getting a lift keeps that in mind.

Lifts are great and I won't hesitate to get another, but remember its a piece of machienery and requires maintenance to keep it working properly. Most residential lift companies don't emphasize that and it can lead to disasterous results. Thankfully I wasn't hurt but I still shiver when I remember the lift, with the car on it, falling no more than 4 feet from where I was standing.

Good luck. I think you'll find it is one of the best car-related purchases you can make.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:29 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I have personally been to their manufacturing plant on a sales call for the company I work for. I talked at length with my contact about their quality. I was impressed and I plan to buy the extended height four poster I have a 12 foot ceiling height in my pole barn. My house sits next to a muffler shop and most all of their lifts are made by Rotary. I spoke with the owner about them and he likes them and will only buy them as replacements in the future. Since they use them daily that is good enough for me.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:13 AM
Robbo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't want to hijack your thread, but I was wondering if you had an opinion being that you just researched and bought a lift. I was looking at the lifts with collars and locks that go into the posts (ie- Backyard Buddy, Autolifters) and they talk about how the other style lifts are so much less safe (of course they're going to say that). But what they say SEEMS to make sense to me (being that I have no experience with either kind).

Did you look at the collar style lifts? Any opinions on them vs the style you got?

Like I said, don't want to hijack your thread...just like to pick your brain since you recently got one.

Rob
Old 08-08-2004, 09:20 AM
Rolm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's get cracking and paint those wall a nice bright yellow.Later
Old 08-08-2004, 10:02 AM
Disco_Mike
Race Director

Originally Posted by HDIronman
Very nice setup. I gotta get me one of those...!!!

How far did you say you are from ann arbor...?

I suggest gearhead throw a testing party!

all us MetroDetroiters can test his lift!

looks great.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:20 PM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Hey everyone. Thanks for the compliments. Detroit-area members, e-mail if you need to get under your car. Seriously. I've had many fellow "gearheads" help me by lending me tools, time, and knuckle skin in the past decade. I have fairly intiment knowledge of 68-72 sharks and am always willing to help out.

As for my choice in purchasing the Rotary, I'm not going to go into much depth. Like I said from the very beginning, everyone has a marketing message and makes their own safety claims. I'm in marketing, so I know how this stuff is formed.

Overall, I think that almost all of the lifts being sold to the residential market are probably safe. They are all probably over-engineered and I think the collapse discussed a couple of years ago here is few and far between. But they do happen. Maintenance and attention is extremely important.

I'm not an engineer, so I'm not going to comment on the main differences between the designs.

Not one garage or repair facility I visited over the past three years while researching these lifts used a coller over post design. Almost every garage used a professional version of a Rotary, Mohawk, or Bend Pak. Most of these lifts use the floating insert design so they can be leveled when they are locked. So if the safety marketing is true from the the coller/post guys, these things must be collapsing everyday!

Between this observation and the fact that the Rotary has two latches, one controled by the operator and one which automatically engages when cable slack is detected, I made my choice. After assembling the lift and operating it, I am happy so far.

Send me a private message or e-mail me if you have any thoughts or questions.

Thanks again and bring on the Woodward Cruise baby!!!!!!!

Tom
Old 08-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Let 'er eat!
Pro

Sa weeet!
Old 08-08-2004, 09:20 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good job on the door also

Quick Reply: Installed my Lift Last Weekend!