C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe OT - what are your For Sale turn-offs

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 10:33 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Maybe OT - what are your For Sale turn-offs

I've been wondering if I'm the only that reads an ad like:

'74 Corvette, 3k on rebuilt 350, 4-speed, red, etc. etc.

I suppose the presumption is that you'll read the "rebuilt" and think "Great! It's got a rebuilt 350!" But I read it and go "Hmmm, something must have gone wrong with the rebuild."

What do you think? What are some For Sale turn-offs for you?
Old 07-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Kara
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not putting a price is a turn off IMO
Old 07-19-2004, 10:46 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Crappy spelling makes me think the previous owner is either stupid or careless - won't buy anything they've owned - they might have worked on it.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:14 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I'm thinking about selling, but don't know how much it is worth.

2. I really don't want to sell, but i'm just checking to see if there is any interest.

3. Its a great car, but its not mine. Its in good shape I think. I don't know how much it is, but maybe I can find out.

4. I don't know if the engine numbers match, but the previous owner said he thinks they do.

5. I can't post pictures, but if I can figure it out, I will try. I think my wife knows how, but she is not here.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:26 PM
3joh
Pro

it is in good shape for it age.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:30 PM
brystheguy
Racer

They describe something that is wrong and then tell you it's an "easy fix." If it was so simple, why didn't you just do it?
Old 07-20-2004, 12:05 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

When someone uses a pic of a car that was taken in front of a huge mansion that isn't theirs.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 07-20-2004, 12:17 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I suppose the presumption is that you'll read the "rebuilt" and think "Great! It's got a rebuilt 350!" But I read it and go "Hmmm, something must have gone wrong with the rebuild."
I think to myself - well, the guy is honest about the rebuilt 350. At this point in time, if the car is even moderately driven, it would be time for a rebuild.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:21 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Basically no price or too high of one.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were selling my car, here is how the ad would read:

1979 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe. Black / Black L82 Auto 42,500 miles. Needs a good paint job. 1Z8749S450496. Phone inquiries welcome. Price: $XX,XXX Phone XXX XXX XXXX

Common ad for a car like mine:
'79 Corvette all original L82 auto. 42,500 original miles. Mint - original. Serious inquiries only. No free rides. Best offer takes this amazing rare black beauty off of my hands. 1 of 53,807 '79's that came from the factory with T-tops. Wife says it has to go! Hurry! Mint. Original. Phone XXX XXXX Original.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:06 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

1. Easily fixed stuff not done.
2. Multiple spelling errors, especiaillay on simpile wurds
3. I get hesitant about "selling the car for a friend". Why can't he/she sell it? Not a deal breaker, but a yellow flag.
4. Stuff like "I've owned this car for 20 years, driven daily" then "engine freshly rebuilt". If it was all that great, why sell just after rebuilding the engine?
5. Photos that have show cut a/c lines or wires dangling. Tells me bubba was here recently. If you don't want a/c, at least disable it neatly. If you do wiring work, make it clean.
6. Triangle air cleaners. Fire waiting to happen.
7. If it has the word "rare". If it's there, it better be.
8. On a 68-72 coupe, saying "optional removable back window" or "optional T-tops" on any coupe.
9. "probably matching numbers but I'm not sure"-go look or don't say it!!

Last edited by markdtn; 07-20-2004 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:16 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 74FLCONV
When someone uses a pic of a car that was taken in front of a huge mansion that isn't theirs.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
AND...using a pic in the ad that's 5 yrs old!!!
Old 07-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Just arrived from California. Or, Only 99,900 miles.

Last edited by Paul L; 07-20-2004 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:41 AM
A2Shark
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Under 70K miles and "rebuilt engine." How many other cars have you owned that require an engine rebuild within 70K miles? They are either lying about the mileage or the car was seriously abused.

"Matching numbers" when they have no idea what that really means.

Calling a car a "survivor" when it has been repainted and/or modified. People don't know what that means either, but think it sounds good in their ad.

Pics of the car that are 20 years old. I once drove 80 miles to look at a beat-up piece of crap that looked nothing like its 20 year-old picture.

"Southern car" (so where did all the frame rust come from?)

"This car is fast!" (stock L48 auto).
Old 07-20-2004, 09:49 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 74FLCONV

Lucky I'm not selling

"One careful lady owner". Major turn off for me. It's either an outright lie & it's been well thrashed & not maintained, or it's totally true & the car has been used for occassional trips to the shops all its life. When I was at school one of my classmates lived in what was effectively a mansion. His neighbour bought his wife a 7L Jenson Interceptor as a gift (oh, to be rich!). She only used it to get the groceries once a week & the shops were 1 1/2miles away. That car sure put out some blue smoke whenever we saw her driving it!
Other ones are "No tyre kickers" or "No time wasters". Uh-huh. So if I drive x miles to see a car that turns out to be a POS, is the owner going to accuse me of being a time waster when I decide that I don't want it?
Fully "documented history" used to be a positive one, but a workmate I once had the "pleasure" of working with was selling his old car, complete with fully documented history. It was a desirable car (if you like that sort of thing) but he couldn't sell it. One day we were asking why he couldn't sell it (similar cars were being snapped up) & the explanation had us laying on our desks howling with laughter, mainly because he couldn't see what he was doing wrong in his sales approach. When he said fully documented, he really meant it. He had reciepts for everything, washers, grommets, cable ties, insulation tape, oil &, the best part, every single fuel reciept with the odometer reading written on the back (to determine mpg). All this was cross referenced into a SET of A4 books in chronological order, so the documentation was documented! It was a documentation masterpiece, but when potential purchasers were confronted with this weighty tome of documentation they couldn't get out of the place fast enough I guess you had to see it to appreciate it, but the thoroughness at which is was put together made military documentation standards look slapdash. If he'd spent the amount of time & care on the actual car as he did on the documentation it'd probably be the best example of its kind on the planet. I now tend to avoid all mentions of "Fully Documented" after knowing this guy!
Old 07-20-2004, 10:10 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

hah, we bit **** retentive huh?
Old 07-20-2004, 10:29 AM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmucker
Basically no price or too high of one.

Or something like this:

"MUST SELL, $xx,xxx FIRM"

Unless the price is a give away, it's either one or the other.

Get notified of new replies

To Maybe OT - what are your For Sale turn-offs

Old 07-20-2004, 03:17 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Good condition." Yeah, right. Apparently the definition of "good" can be applied in many ways I never thought of!
Old 07-22-2004, 12:27 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

My all time favorite is any used car place with the term Honest in the name... Honest Bobs, Honest Bills, Honist I will rip you off and rape your wife the second you turn around... any of those...
Old 07-22-2004, 01:44 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ElCid79
My all time favorite is any used car place with the term Honest in the name... Honest Bobs, Honest Bills, Honist I will rip you off and rape your wife the second you turn around... any of those...

Honest Ahkmed's Bargain-O-Rama

Quick Reply: Maybe OT - what are your For Sale turn-offs