C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle is sticking! NOT GOOD

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 01:04 PM
z3man987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle is sticking! NOT GOOD

just in the past month or so my throttle seems to be catching or sticking up. ill accelerate, and sure enough i let off the gas and the pedal seems to catch on something making it want to stay around 1500-2000 rpm. im afraid one day it will stay stuck then ill really be screwed on the road

anyone know how to fix stuck/sticky throttle cable? should i be looking at carb linkage? the cable itself? the gas pedal?
Old 07-21-2004, 01:51 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

make sure the cable is not catching anywehre on its path from the pedal to the carb
Old 07-21-2004, 01:56 PM
z3man987
Intermediate

i tested pedal and cable, thats not problem. undid cable and spring on linkage, that seems ok (should be its new carb). i believe that the spring was beginning to catch on the linkage, so i moved the spring attachment, really tightened down the bolt on the intake, and seems to clear ok now. course i cant test drive it because car keeps dying on me and wont start
Old 07-21-2004, 02:08 PM
cchristo
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure it's not your air cleaner. If it's not lined up properly, it may catch.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:07 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z3man987
i tested pedal and cable, thats not problem. undid cable and spring on linkage, that seems ok (should be its new carb). i believe that the spring was beginning to catch on the linkage, so i moved the spring attachment, really tightened down the bolt on the intake, and seems to clear ok now. course i cant test drive it because car keeps dying on me and wont start
I had a car that wore out the throttle cable so that when loaded the inner cable rode into a groove it made and kept the throttle slightly open. With the cable disconnected from the carb, there was no binding because the cable stayed out of the groove. A new throttle cable solved that one. Joe
Old 07-22-2004, 04:00 PM
z3man987
Intermediate

it was catching on the carb linkage, i loosened manifold bolt and retightened spring attachment in different position to clear linkage, now everything runs smoothly, plus i tighten up the pedal by moving by stretching the spring out a little so it gives the pedal more resistance, which i like
Old 07-22-2004, 04:08 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

i'm embarrised to say but will share. My car started at 1500RPM and has no choke! I tried everything, adjusted just about everything just to find when I gave up and looked in the interior that the floor mat had moved and was laying half on the go-fast pedal.

Old 07-22-2004, 04:34 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joe73vette
I had a car that wore out the throttle cable so that when loaded the inner cable rode into a groove it made and kept the throttle slightly open. With the cable disconnected from the carb, there was no binding because the cable stayed out of the groove. A new throttle cable solved that one. Joe
interesting
Old 07-22-2004, 05:40 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cchristo
Make sure it's not your air cleaner. If it's not lined up properly, it may catch.
when my throttle was sticking that is exactly where the problem was - it was getting stuck on the air cleaner base. With a new carb I would suspect that area because it just might not line up exactly like the old one. Tolerances are really tight under there. If you can get it to stick, then put it in neutral, stop the car and unscrew the air cleaner. Alternatively, check the base very carefully for marks made by contact. I had to have someone point it out to me because I was too stupid to figure it out on my own!!

Get notified of new replies

To throttle is sticking! NOT GOOD

Quick Reply: throttle is sticking! NOT GOOD