C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lube u-joints and half shafts

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 75 Hot One
As far as I know, they're still available from GM. All OEM U-joints have no grease fitting.
Are you sure about this? My car has grease zerks on the U-joints, and they have not been replaced since the car left St. Louis in 1979.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:57 PM
75 Hot One
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stoge
Are you sure about this? My car has grease zerks on the U-joints, and they have not been replaced since the car left St. Louis in 1979.
My understanding is that all C3 U-joints have no grease fittings. I just checked the Volunteer catalogue and their 1968-82 listing confirms that, although they list U-joints with grease fittings as a service replacement. The Paragon catalogue lists both types of U-joints with no comment on which is OEM type. If you're saying yours were never changed, the later C3's must have changed to grease fittings.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:34 AM
75 Hot One
Pro

I just checked the Corvette Restoration Guide which has more detailed info for different year C3's. It definitely states that 1978-82 Corvettes have no grease fittings on the U-joints. If you got the car new and know the U-joints haven't been changed, it would be interesting to advise NCRS and see what they have to say.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:40 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by z3man987
i hear the noises when turning slowly, mainly turning left i believe but some noises when turning right. when the car goes straight, the only other noises i hear are what im sure is the front pass. wheel acting up due to rotor.
Could be u-joints but it sounds like your clutch packs in the diff. Drain the diff and put new fluid and additive in. Put the additive in 1st. GM sells it so go to your local dealer and pick up 2 bottles of fluid and 1 bottle of additive. The sound may not go away right away so go do some figure 8's in a parking lot to mix everything up.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:47 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NHvette
VanSteel offers free shipping for forum members.
Not a giant deal on Ujoints, but good on trailing arm assemblies.

Well I could offer 5% or 10% off and bump shipping charges up like other vendors do so you really don't get any kind of discount. Just some food for thought.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:14 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Originally Posted by brystheguy
Cardomain.com is a site where you can put up pictures of your car and others can look at it and leave comments about it. The comments usually say something like this, "Sweet car, come check out my Z-28 sometime." It seems people only leave comments to get comments. You can link to your pictures too for your signature and the like.
LOL, so true. I never listen to the comments, as they only
want you check out their site so they can get more hits, on there site.
Lot of really nice cars there.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:35 AM
likindrivin
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use spicer, and about that rotor?

mine is an '81 and just had new ones installed which cost me $30 each :ack but the Napa Precision (?) were not holding up// On my half shafts, they stamped the Spicer no. to use: 429 (I think) and ditto on not using zerks.
I too am currently having problems with a new rotor but I believe it could be damage to the hub. the rivets were absolutely horrible to remove...the only way is by step-drilling up to a 3/8 " in the middle. but I hammered on them some before I resigned my self to drilling. Also, could be poor bearing installation, or improper 12 lb. torque and adjustment. Good luck. Jim
Old 07-22-2004, 03:39 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Originally Posted by z3man987
i hear the noises when turning slowly, mainly turning left i believe but some noises when turning right. when the car goes straight, the only other noises i hear are what im sure is the front pass. wheel acting up due to rotor.
Are you sure GM posi additive was added to the diff when it was rebuilt? W/o the posi additive, the diff/posi will pop, chatter, etc when turning. You should add 2 - 4 oz bottles of GM additive to the diff and then go do some tight figure 8's to work it into the posi clutches.

If this is the issue, the additive should resolve the noise.

Good Luck!

Old 07-22-2004, 03:58 PM
z3man987
Intermediate

i just dropped the car off at the place that redid my diff. he said they added the additive but said maybe it did need one more bottle. i guess only one bottle was put in so that advice on 2 bottles sounds good, thanks. ill get back with results.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:27 AM
z3man987
Intermediate

Default Results

just got the vette back, turns out there was minor pinion seal leak and it did need another additive bottle. did some tight figures 8s and all is well now. thanks guys.

Quick Reply: lube u-joints and half shafts