C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

squeeky rear end in left turns, slow driving only!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 12:07 AM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default squeeky rear end in left turns, slow driving only!!!

Fortunetly these cars look as sexy as they do, becuase there age makes owning them a real reliability challenge at times. The best thing about this forum is knowing your not alone. Well, the past couple of weeks have seen the appearance of a slight slow squeeking noise thats mostly noticed when making a slow left turn and at about ten grand RPM or so. Not at all noticed when turning to the right or at higher RPM's . Wheel bearings, U-joints or a case of simply greasing the old rear end ( cars been driven through some heavy rain recently) ????
Old 07-20-2004, 12:29 AM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds a lot like a ujoint on one of the half shafts.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:28 AM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Forgot to mention it also squeaks going over speed bumps and what not. I sure hope it isnt the U joint or anything major like that. I'm looking n the previous owners old reciepts ahoping to find one for U joint replacement withen the last few years
Old 07-20-2004, 01:38 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Originally Posted by sharkthehunter77
mostly noticed when making a slow left turn and at about ten grand RPM or so.
At 10K rpm while making a left turn, I think the least of your worries should be a squeek!

Originally Posted by sharkthehunter77
Not at all noticed when turning to the right or at higher RPM's.
How many RPM does you engine turn? Must have one of those F1 engines that run upto 16-17K.

OK, enough of my wise azzing. Perhaps the noise is rear diff related? Has the fluid been changed recently? Does the noise increase/decrease with changes in speed?

Good Luck!

EDIT: I see you just added to the symptons. I've heard tell that the rear spring will sometimes squeek. Obviously it is moving/being compressed over bumps, as well as doing the same (somewhat) when turning due to some body roll. Perhaps a little spray oil will help tell if this area is the offender.

Again, Good Luck!

Last edited by ACECO; 07-20-2004 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:54 AM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

I sure hope its the rear spring, as i just found a year 2000 reciept for all U joints being replaced by the previous owner for a small aloha hawaii fee of $498.99! With all the rain we've had recently i darn near been submarining in the vette and maybe all my rear end lube is gone!
Old 07-20-2004, 02:31 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Well I don't think the water will cause you to lose the diff lube, but if it hasn't been changed in awhile it will cause strange noises to occur from the posi clutches. However this usually will cause noises when turning in both directions. FWIW.

Also, it could still be a u-joint squeaking if you have been washing it off with lots of water. If your u-joints have zerks for adding grease, I would do so. For that matter with all the water you are indicating, it probably would be a good idea to grease/lube anything and everything on the underside that can be lubed, front and rear, just for safe measure.

Once again, Good Luck!

Last edited by ACECO; 07-20-2004 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:36 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

is the squeak cyclical? does brake application change the noise? can you pinpoint the side the noise is coming from if you drive past a concrete wall or something similar?
Old 07-20-2004, 11:27 AM
z3man987
Intermediate

i have the same prob with my '78. just had the diff rebuilt, and the two half shafts. i narrowed ONE squeak down to being my front pass. wheel, think a rotor is lil warpped or something, plan to do something about it by gettin new drilled rotors when i get open wheels. but mine too squeaks going over bumps and turning. good post on zerking the u-joints, i completely forgot about that, ill get back with the results to see if that helps.

Get notified of new replies

To squeeky rear end in left turns, slow driving only!!!

Quick Reply: squeeky rear end in left turns, slow driving only!!!