C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant: Bosh platinum Spark Plugs Cost me $300

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Rolm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rant: Bosh platinum Spark Plugs Cost me $300

Bosh Platinum Spark Plugs cost me $300

To make a long story short. I decided to install a new set of Bosh Platinum plugs in my sons MX6 2.5 liter and set the idle. Well after the plugs and setting of the idle the little engine ran pretty much the same as before, a few days latter my son complained that the engine would miss at idle and when accelerating. My 1st thought was that I messed-up when setting the idle (I may not have disabled the computer properly) So I re-set the idle and things were no better. I figured rather then F—ing things more I would take it to the Mazda dealer. The 1st thing the service adviser said was that they needed to run a computer scan at a cost of $85.00 and then report back to me with their findings. The report came back with no error codes but the timing was off, so they re-set the timing at a cost of $45.00. I picked the car up and after driving the car home I noticed no difference the engine missed as before. I took the car back to the dealer this time I talked to the mechanic. The mechanic test drove the car and he suggested a fuel system flush at a cost of $130.00. I picked the car up latter that day and it ran perfect. Next day it ran as before missing and stumbling. Now I am pissed with taxes I am $300 in the hole and the car is running like crap. What to do? take it to another dealer or keep on taking it to the same clowns and paying for more so-called fixes. I said to myself what did I do to make this car run like crap. Well as per the mechanic I did set the idle correctly so the only other thing I did was replacing the stock NGK plugs with the Bosh. I bit the bullet went to the store and bought a new set of NGK plugs. I replaced the Bosh with stock NGK�s and guess what the engine purred like a kitten. I remembered a mechanic telling me many years ago “ Always install the same plugs as the engine left the factory with� Well this experimenting cost me $300 and a few weeks of grief. So what do I do write this off as a costly bad experience or do I go back to the dealer and ask for a credit or write to Bosh and ask them to credit me the $300 after all bosh recommends these plugs as a replacement. Guys if you are running stock engine in your Vette or your daily drivers stick to the factory plugs for your engine
Old 07-12-2004, 11:57 AM
killervette666
Drifting

Wow, sorry to hear that, ive always ran bosch platinums in my vette and our two camrys and have never had a problem, sorry to hear about your bad experience
Old 07-12-2004, 12:05 PM
73'Vette
Racer

I am using Bosch platinum in my Vette, in my wife's 4-runner, and in my sister's Protege and none have had any problems. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:17 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mazda is basically Ford. Goes to prove again: Stay away from Ford.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:21 PM
comp
Team Owner

used them in many cars & trucks I have had problems with
the sale plugs i got at Kmart yrs. ago... 99cents when they were $1.50
a the auto store
Old 07-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

This is kinda funny to me since I own a 95 MX6 with the 2.5. Wait till he finds oil in the spark plug cylinders. Valve cover gaskets run $100 and take over 8 hours to change.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:34 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

You may have got a bad plug, happend to me before
Old 07-12-2004, 01:44 PM
Rolm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ak. Mal
This is kinda funny to me since I own a 95 MX6 with the 2.5. Wait till he finds oil in the spark plug cylinders. Valve cover gaskets run $100 and take over 8 hours to change.

Believe I know The kid came to a few months ago saying the sunroof leaks. I noticed that the gasket around the sunroof was craked. I removed it in a few minutes clean the area around the sunroof and repainted a few of the rust spots, next day I went to the dealer to buy the new gasket when I heard the price I almost feel-over $149.00 for a square little gasket. Welcome to the ricer world.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

The real pisser is the car is only worth 2 grand.

The best place to buy parts for these little foreign cars is www.nopi.com. I know, it's a little ricer website, but it was the only place I could purchase the NGK plug wires.

I've been working under the dash of my 80 Corvette for the past couple months, so I've become very accustomed to the sights under there. I had to stick my head under the dash of my MX6 last weekend and, OH MY, it is a work of art under there. Everything is so tightly packaged and organized. I was amazed.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Got Bosch in all my vehicles, including 3 fords! Been running them since about 1985 or so.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by desi
Mazda is basically Ford. Goes to prove again: Stay away from Ford.
Mazda is not basically Ford. FoMoCo owns 1/3 of Mazda. And nothing is proved about staying away from Ford since the Mazda ran perfect after NGK's were re-installed. The only thing that was proved above is that there was a bad set of Bosch Platinum spark plugs in the mix somewhere.

If you want to talk about POS vehicles, talk about my corvette. Between having 5 leaks, worn out U joints, bad motor mount, noisy rear end, and breaking down on the highway a couple of times, it is the biggest PITA vehile I have ever owned, even worse than my '75 K5 Blazer. Not to mention the Chevrolet dealer wanted $70 to change out the rear end fluid. But hey, at least the air conditioner, horn, and clock don't friggin work, either.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:42 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolm
... Guys if you are running stock engine in your Vette or your daily drivers stick to the factory plugs for your engine
That's not true. Many can figure out to look at the plugs in the beginning when an engine is missing. Look at the tiny tip on those platinum plugs you were using.

Last edited by Ganey; 07-20-2004 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Packy76
Instructor

Had the same situation a few years back when I figured Id help my ex girlfriend out by changing her plugs in a Saab turbo after installing the check engine light came on so took it to the dealer and it was like $300 or so for a new ignition module Th freak at Autozone recommended them I guess I should of not listened to him! and checked the manual!
Old 07-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Hershey
Racer

Bosch plugs used to have special instructions for gapping the Platinum plugs. If that little tiny tip is bent or flattened when being gapped, they will missfire and run like crap. When I ran a parts store, Bosch's were returned more than any others for that very reason. Hershey
Old 07-20-2004, 09:42 PM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wanna play with imports..you gonna pay. Parts are 2 to 3 x's higher..punishment from the goverment on imports for not buying "American" I guess..
Old 07-20-2004, 11:18 PM
biff85ta
Advanced

My father inlaw put pregapped bosch platinums in his vette and I pulled them out after about six thousand miles and tossed them because it missed like crazy. I put some fresh autolites in there and all is good.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:17 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 81' Corvette Guy
You wanna play with imports..you gonna pay. Parts are 2 to 3 x's higher..punishment from the goverment on imports for not buying "American" I guess..
But you only have to work on them half or a third as often :p:

Originally Posted by biff85ta
My father inlaw put pregapped bosch platinums in his vette and I pulled them out after about six thousand miles and tossed them because it missed like crazy. I put some fresh autolites in there and all is good.
Ewww, autolites

Get notified of new replies

To Rant: Bosh platinum Spark Plugs Cost me $300

Old 07-22-2004, 09:57 AM
nhlgopens
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

I've put the Bosch Plat's in everything I ever owned and have never had any problems. I currently run them in the Vette with a hot coil gapped at .045. No problems at all.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:15 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Must of had a bad or damaged plug. Ever since my days in road racing, I've used Bosch or NGK exclusively, in everything I own, with no problems.

Hans
Old 07-22-2004, 07:52 PM
biff85ta
Advanced

Originally Posted by Schmucker
But you only have to work on them half or a third as often :p:

Ewww, autolites

That whole dyno chart is higher than his vette will ever rev to begin with.

Quick Reply: Rant: Bosh platinum Spark Plugs Cost me $300