C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible C3 purchase... What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 11:25 AM
JIMBONIC
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible C3 purchase... What to look for?

Ok C3 experts, unfortunately this is not for me, :mad but my buddy is looking at one and has asked me to see what I can find out for him. He is looking at a 73 with just under 60k on it for around 9 grand. Some cracks on the dash, seats, not a show car or anything. Not sure which 350, but is is a 350. t-tops, auto, and that is about all he could remember last night. He is hoping to go and take a close look at it in a day or two if I can get him some info on what to look for and be cautious about. He knows this is not a collectors car or a rocket for the strip. He is just looking for his first Vette to do a little fix up on and go for some cruising.

Thanks for the tips in advance! :flag

Last edited by JIMBONIC; 07-13-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:46 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

The main issue on C3's is frame rust... Check the frame - especially the corners near the rear wheels...
Old 07-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Lasse
Burning Brakes

Here's a buyers inspection guide:http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part1.htm
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part2.htm
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part3.htm

Not the shortest one...
Old 07-11-2004, 01:52 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
The main issue on C3's is frame rust... Check the frame - especially the corners near the rear wheels...

Get a good flashlight.

A poor interior is an indicator of poor maintenance of a car.

Look for rust on the bird cage and radiator support. Look closely at the corners of the windshield frame and the windshield side support pieces for signs of rust. Look up under the dash for signs of rust.

Does the car's interior smell musty? If so, there are likely to be water leaks (from rusted bird cage pieces)

Open the doors and inspect along the weather strip for signs of rust. Do the doors open and close easily? Are the door gaps uniform? If not, could be signs of bird cage rust.

A quick look at the #4 body mount will give you a hint at hidden rust problems elsewhere. While you are down there, take a look at the condition of the fuel lines, are they rusted? have the steel lines been replaced with rubber?

Look at the VIN tag. Does it look original? Does the Motor serial number (partial VIN) match the VIN? Not a show stopper in itself, it just that the price of the car should be less for a non matching numbers car.

Get a copy of the Corvette Black Book by Mike Antonick. This book has information concerning the meaning of the VIN digits (engine size and HP and Motor identification suffix that identifies application, etc) that will be useful. Check the trim tag (driver's side door jam). Do the trim codes match the paint and interior the car has currently? (Again NOT a show stopper, but it gives you some insight into the history of the car.)

Look at the alignment shims on the A-arms. Large numbers of shims, or a great difference in the number of shims front to back on a particular A-arm or a great difference in the number of shims from the driver's side to the passenger's side, indicate front end collision.

While at the A-arms look at the condition of the rubber bushings. Are they cracked, rotted, or gone?

Look at the inside surfaces of the tires. Are there streaks from leaking brake fluid?

Does the car "sit" properly? Get some pictures of known good examples of 73s - how does this one compare?

Take the car for a test drive, try to be gone at least one hour. Did you notice any symptoms of overheating? Go the gages work? Any idiot lights stay on? Lights work? Lights work with the engine turned off (vacuum motors) Windshield wipers work? AC work?

Does the car start easily and idle smoothly? After the car has been run for some time, does it start easily? (Starter heat soak.)

Look at the oil. Pull the dipstick and smell the oil. Does it have a strong smell of gasoline indicating indicating carburation/engine problems?

Is the oil milky looking indicating radiator leaks into the engine? Look at the antifreeze, does it have oil floating in it? What is the condition of the underhood wiring? Gasoline leaks? Gas smell?

If the car passes these simple checks, spend a couple of hundred dollars and have the car closely inspected by your mechanic that KNOWS Corvettes. (If the owner won't let the car be inspected, then walk away.

Perhaps someone from a local Corvette Club e.g. NCRS could also take a look at the car for you.

Look at a LOT of cars and try to find the best example you can.

Last edited by mapman; 07-12-2004 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:31 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mapman is right on the money. I am an advocate of the hammer test. If everything else looks good, (and if you can test drive without the owner or with his permission) run the car hard. Weak points sometimes show up under stress. Also, I have driven a lot of C3's that have been well cared for but the suspensions were neglected. They can go away slowly and the neophite owner dosn't notice it. Make sure it feels tight and drives true.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:53 PM
C3w4sp
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

WOW! that's alot of info
Old 07-12-2004, 12:33 AM
lowvette
Burning Brakes

All good advice here. Also look at shade of paint to spot mismatch. This could be an indicator of a prior accident, where the repaired sections were repainted. The accident could range from simple fiberglass damage to bent frame or a Corvette that is made is from clips of two or more Vettes.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:10 AM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C3w4sp
WOW! that's alot of info
Well, a lot can happen to a car, especially a Corvette over the span of 31 years, right? Natural wear from use and age, deterioration from exposure to the elements, exposure to salts in certain regions, abusive driving, neglect of proper maintenance, bubba repairs and mods, etc. Knowledge is the key here. The more your friend knows about the car he's looking at, the better choice he will ultimately make, and the happier he will be in the long run. Trust me on that.

Your friend should hit the book store first. The aforementioned Corvette Black Book is a smart buy for a first book. It's the ultimate reference book. It will help him learn how a car came from the factory. That way he can spot changes and modifications whether good or bad. This way he's less likely end up paying the price of a more premium car but ending up with a mismatched mess. A local NCRS person could also go far in judging how good the car is and it's value. Also, locate a local Corvette repair shop that has a lot of experience dealing with C3s and have them inspect it. Before I bought my '79 I paid $140 for a thorough two hour inspection including an engine compression test. It was worth it.

Also, some cracks on the dash and seats can add up in $$ if he wants to replace them. He should make a note of all the cosmetic issues he's going to want to address and find out the cost. Plus he should check the condition of the weatherstripping. If it needs to be replaced it's not cheap.

It's also my opinion that if, as you stated, "He is just looking for his first Vette to do a little fix up on and go for some cruising", then he should find the best Vette he can for the money he wants to spend because even the best examples of C3s most likely will need what will amount to "a little fix up". A worn and neglected car will probably need a lot of fix up. Also, the fix up never ends.

Oh, and one more thing. As far as I'm concerned, the car only has just under 60k IF there is documentation to back it up. Otherwise it may very possibly be just under 160K, 260K or ???

Last edited by Corvette_fetish; 07-12-2004 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:51 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_fetish

Oh, and one more thing. As far as I'm concerned, the car only has just under 60k IF there is documentation to back it up. Otherwise it may very possibly be just under 160K, 260K or ???
Excellent point.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:14 PM
JIMBONIC
Pro

Thanks a bunch for all the info guys! This is really perfect! Not only will it help him out right now, it is going in my archives for a year or two from now when I hopefully get a C3 to sit side by side with my C5!
Old 07-13-2004, 10:39 PM
7T9Shark
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of good advice previously given.

Given the described condition of the car, I would be wary about the mileage. Check for smoking tail pipes and oil leaks, too.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible C3 purchase... What to look for?

Quick Reply: Possible C3 purchase... What to look for?