C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMSOIL vs Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 03:08 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default AMSOIL vs Mobil 1

While I believe that Mobil 1 is an excellent lubricant, and may be the best of the major brands available at your favorite auto store, I also want to share some independent lab tests that show it isn’t necessarily the best lubricant on the market.

Comparative Oil Test
AMSOIL vs Mobile 1 Oil Test

AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 5w30 Motor Oil is formulated with advanced Polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base stocks. PAO base stocks are the industries premier base stock technology, and when combined with an exact blend of premium additives, provide second to none protection and performance in the most demanding operating conditions.

Why AMSOIL?
•First to develop an API-rated 100 percent synthetic motor oil.
•First to introduce the concept of "extended drain intervals" with a recommended 25,000-mile/1-year drain interval.
•First U.S. company to utilize the NOACK volatility test as a standard of performance excellence.
•First to produce synthetic motor oils for diesel engines, racing engines, turbo and marine engines.
•First to introduce synthetic oils that legitimately contribute to improving fuel efficiency.
•First to manufacture synthetic gear lube for automotive use.
•First to manufacture a 100:1 pre-mix synthetic 2-cycle oil.
•First to manufacture a synthetic automatic transmission fluid for automotive use.

AMSOIL’s extended drain intervals actually save money (and obviously time):
Cost Savings of Longer Drain Interval
AMSOILs actual recommended drain intervals can be found here:
AMSOIL Product Change Interval Guide

While I understand many of us are resistant to the time honored 3 months or 3000 mile change interval, the industry is slowly coming to see the benefits of extended drain intervals. AMSOIL is leading the effort with their high quality synthetics. However, GM appears to be the first major automobile corporation to be embracing this philosophy with the oil life system calculator in its vehicles. AMSOIL’s lubricants have been formulated to address the trade-offs involved with extended drain intervals as the above comparison information shows.
Motor Oil Drain Intervals: An Ethical Burden?

Buy AMSOIL at Wholesale
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program allows you to buy any AMSOIL product at wholesale, which is about 15-20% less expensive than retail. Cost is $10 per six months and you can buy as much oil as you want during that six months. To sign up, all it takes is one phone call to 1-800-777-7094. Give them reference number 1206638.

Or you can use this link:
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program
Again, please put 1206638 in the customer number block.

While I understand many (most?) of you will probably never use AMSOIL in your Corvette as GM recommends Mobil 1, I would appreciate it if you would consider trying AMSOIL in your other vehicles. AMSOIL makes products for almost every type of machinery that has an engine, from cars to diesels, to farm equipment, to snowmobiles, watercraft, ATVs, etc, including lubricants, appearance products, oil filters, air filters, spark plugs (Bosch), wiper blades (Bosch), etc. More information on the full AMSOIL product line can be found on their corporate homepage:
AMSOIL Corporate Homepage

Own a business?
AMSOIL has two programs that may benefit your business.

Retail Sales Program
If you own a business a retail business with no more than 12 retail outlets that sells products "off the shelf", you may buy AMSOIL products at wholesale and sell them at retail, keeping the profits.

Commercial Program
If you own a business that uses lubricants, such as a vehicle fleet of cars, trucks, farm equipment, recreational vehicles, etc, you may buy AMSOIL products at wholesale and use them for your business.

Both of these programs involve no cost to start. Several forms are required to register your business account with AMSOIL. If you are interested, please contact me at c66racing@hotmail.com and I will provide you with more information.

Thank you for your consideration and support.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Last edited by C66 Racing; 07-11-2004 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:17 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you work for Amsoil? This is just so out of the blue.

FYI, I run Amsoil synthetic 80W90 in my diff and transmission. I think it's special diff lube in there too, came in a grey bottle. As soon as I get the leaks all situated with the engine I'm running Amsoil in that too. It's high quality stuff, no doubt.

I do, however, run mobil 1 in my Tacoma and 4Runner.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:40 PM
C66 Racing

Steve,
Yes, I am an Independent AMSOIL Dealer and am also the forum supporting vendor for AMSOIL. I posted a thread announcing this in the C3 forum about a month ago, but can't find the thread anymore with the software changeover.
Unfortunately, my supporting vendor tag was also deleted with the new software changeover. I have contacted Troy to resolve this.

Sorry the thread appears out of the blue. I don't get into this forum much as I have a Z06 and use it primarily for racing. My post wasn't meant to antagonize anyone, but to ensure everyone was aware of the benefits of AMSOIL (and to try to justify the costs of being a forum supporting vendor).
Old 07-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Cool! I'll just say thanks for supporting the forum and I'm happy with your product!
Old 07-10-2004, 04:10 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 215 Posts

Contamination is the death of most oils. The oil's viscosity usually does not breakdown as fast as the contaminates accumulate in the oil.
At the chemical plant where I work we would never run any oil for a year without an analysis being done ever 6 months. The most common failure of our oils is contamination by metals or water. As a matter of fact our Exxon-Mobil lubrication engineer did not recommend the extended run oils in our cars because of contamination. There are other additives for the oil that will be a better job of protecting the engine for wear. The product mentioned was AVBlend or zMax. A friend of mine, a drag racer for 30 some years will not run any engine without this product.
Roger
Old 07-10-2004, 10:53 PM
bqce
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got 318k miles on my F-350 351 with no work at all on the engine - mainly using Amsoil. It still starts up on the first turn of the key, and has good torque and power. I pretty much contribute that to the Amsoil. You can't go wrong with it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:32 PM
bqce
Instructor

One quick "weight" question: what would you use with a 350/300 with 86k miles - still good pickup and power. I haven't done a compression check, but I think it's fairly good for 86k. Oh yeah, Central Texas weather. Very seldom does it get below freezing, and very often above 90. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:38 AM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by RMS73
Contamination is the death of most oils. The oil's viscosity usually does not breakdown as fast as the contaminates accumulate in the oil.
At the chemical plant where I work we would never run any oil for a year without an analysis being done ever 6 months. The most common failure of our oils is contamination by metals or water. As a matter of fact our Exxon-Mobil lubrication engineer did not recommend the extended run oils in our cars because of contamination. There are other additives for the oil that will be a better job of protecting the engine for wear. The product mentioned was AVBlend or zMax. A friend of mine, a drag racer for 30 some years will not run any engine without this product.
Roger
Roger,
Here is an interesting read on the corporate positions on extended drain intervals of AMSOIL and ExxonMobil. Note, this article was not written by AMSOIL.
Drain Intervals - How Long Must We Wait?"

bqce,
As I have no experience with the C3, I am hesitant to start making recommendations wrt the motor and weight of oil. Maybe one of the more experienced guys can help. I will say that you can check this online application guide for your specific make/model/year. Products listed on here are recommended by AMSOIL for your vehicle, no matter the age or mileage:
AMSOIL Online Product Application Guide
Old 07-11-2004, 02:22 AM
bqce
Instructor

Thanks, that link was very helpful.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:28 AM
bqce
Instructor

Does Amsoil still have the bypass filter for 100k mile oil changes?
Old 07-11-2004, 08:45 AM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

I used to be an Amsoil Dealer. I was old hook.,line, and sinker on their products. UNTIL :

1. I tried The Dual Bypass Filter Installation. The first one wasnt passing any oil thru the bypass filter and made a rattling sound (most likely the ball and spring in the manifold). I got a second one and within a few weeks..the same thing occured with that one.

2. After using Amsoil synthetic 0w30 in my work van since new along with Amsoil oil filter (both changed at 3000 miles religiously) ..i took the van in for the Bilstein Machine Engine Flush at 80,000 miles. This machine is state of the art and pumps 8 qts. of special solvent at 42 psi thru the block, heads,etc..and is extracted via the oil pan . The mechanic said the engine was so dirty that he had to pump an additional 8 qts. thru to clean it up. I wrote into AMsoil Tech Dept to explain this, and they had no explanation.

3. The product cost and shipping cost to me as a Dealer, was killing me. I can buy a case of 6 qts. Mobil One 10w30 synthetic at my local Sams Club for $21.

I have since switched to Mobil One and k and n performance oil filters .

I do not have faith in the 4 ball wear tests and all the other hype that AMsoil thrusts on the public ; i believe their success to be centered around the age old marketing philosophy :'If you say something loud enough and often enough, people will believe it".

For those who have gotton high mileage out of Amsoil , i think that is great. I have heard many people say the same from Mobil One at alot less expense.

Just my 2 cents worth based on actual discovered personal experience.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:01 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember the first time I heard about Mobil1. One of the engineers came to our club meeting and showed us a video, think it may have been in teh late 70's or early 80's...told us the oil change was 25Kmile with the normal filter change. Been using Mobil1 and other synthetics since. When I purchased my Blazer (new) in Jan. 1991, the first oil change was Mobil 1. Kept it 10 years, ran strong till the day I sold it...sad to say teh body, fenders vanished, disappeared, the remaining fenders, what was left of em, kept flappin' in teh breeze as I was motoring down the road, but the motor was strong. No hint of burning any oil, I never had to add oil, other then topping off when changing the filter.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:31 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

I use Amsoil in all my vehicles, tractor, lawnmowers, weed eaters, kids dirt bike, and four wheelers, great stuff. I have never had a problem. A lot of my friends use it to and love it, 99% say they see a mileage increase.

I have talked to Amsoil on the phone many times and they have always been very helpful.

Neal
Old 07-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Why isn't AMSOIL avail thourgh the normal auto parts stores? Do you get any comissions from new dealers you sign up?

AMSOIL
AMWAY

Old 07-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Fevre
Why isn't AMSOIL avail thourgh the normal auto parts stores? Do you get any comissions from new dealers you sign up?

AMSOIL
AMWAY

The two mom and pop shops near me carry it. I've never seen it at autozone or checker.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:49 PM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by bqce
Does Amsoil still have the bypass filter for 100k mile oil changes?
Yes they do. Testimonial from someone who uses it at the bottom of this post. You can find info on the bypass filters on the products page of their corporate website:
AMSOIL Corporate Homepage

For reasons I do not know, AMSOIL decided to sell its oil via Independent Dealers decades ago, just like Avon or Amway. It can be sold in normal stores as long as the person who owns it has 12 or less retail outlets. If any of you own a store, gas station, auto parts store, hardware store, etc, and own 12 or fewer retail outlets, you can buy AMSOIL at wholesale and sell it at retail, keeping the profits. AMSOIL also has a commercial program for those of you that own businesses that use oil. Commercial program accounts buy AMSOIL at wholesale for their own use. Please contact me for details. These are free for you to sign up.
Note: AMSOIL offers significant freight discounts to Retail and Commercial accounts. In fact, shipping is free for large enough orders.

Note: New dealers I sign up do not pay me a commission. I make money from retail profits and commissions paid to me by AMSOIL. The size of the commission doesn't vary by the number of dealers I have signed up, but it does vary based on volume.

After starting in business using Independent Dealers, AMSOIL has been loyal to its dealers and I respect that. Recently AMSOIL was offered a multi-million dollar contract by Walmart to carry AMSOIL. AMSOIL turned down the offer. I also believe they have turned down offers from major auto chains.

Testimonial:
"This is my seventh car/truck that used AMSOIL products.
I purchased my first diesel on March 11, 2001. The Ford Excursion had 4,727 miles on April 21, 2001 when the following fluids were changed to AMSOIL.

Engine changed to HDD Series 3000 5W-30
Transmission and transfer case changed to ATF
Rear Differential changed to Series 2000 SAE 75W - 140
Front Differential changed to SAE 80W-90
BK 16 By-pass oil filter added to truck

This SUV engine has a 100,000 mile warranty from Ford. The engine oil has been analyzed every 10,000 miles since it was new and now has more than 98,000 miles on one oil change using the BK 16 By-pass filter system, without any problems.

In the last year, I have traveled over 40,000 trouble free miles, thanks to AMSOIL, and have towed a 8 1/2 X 34 foot travel trailer 10,000 miles during this time period.

On February 2, 2004, the PSD completed its first 100,000 miles looking forward to second 100,000. The engine does not have any white, blue or black smoke and no engine or transmission repairs in the first 100,000 miles.

-Ken Pugh"
Old 07-12-2004, 12:18 AM
wgc_3
Instructor

Two Words

Royal Purple!!

Get notified of new replies

To AMSOIL vs Mobil 1

Old 07-12-2004, 12:39 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by GDaina
I remember the first time I heard about Mobil1. One of the engineers came to our club meeting and showed us a video, think it may have been in teh late 70's or early 80's...told us the oil change was 25Kmile with the normal filter change. Been using Mobil1 and other synthetics since.
I "heard" that during the development of the ZR1 engine, it kept snapping camshafts. Chevy then tried Mobil 1 and the problem went away. Thus the factory fill for the ZR1 and then for the new LT1. And it has been around ever since.

tom...
Old 07-12-2004, 07:11 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

I believe that you have a HUGE conflict of interest here - posting an Amsoil ad showing how their product is better than brand X and then finding out that you sell Amsoil. Personally, about the only product comparisons that I believe are those are done by independent labs. Way too much chance that Amsoil's results are skewed to show how much better they are than the competition. That is one of the reasons that independent labs that have NO INTEREST in the product are the ones that should be testing.

How much would you like to bet that if Mobil ran a similar product comparison that Mobil 1 would come out smelling like a rose?

Just my two cents here.
Gary
Old 07-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Originally Posted by GaryS
I believe that you have a HUGE conflict of interest here - posting an Amsoil ad showing how their product is better than brand X and then finding out that you sell Amsoil. Personally, about the only product comparisons that I believe are those are done by independent labs. Way too much chance that Amsoil's results are skewed to show how much better they are than the competition. That is one of the reasons that independent labs that have NO INTEREST in the product are the ones that should be testing.

How much would you like to bet that if Mobil ran a similar product comparison that Mobil 1 would come out smelling like a rose?

Just my two cents here.
Gary
ME: Attn Amsoil Rep :

Amsoil claims the 4 ball Scar Wear Tests on 'their website' are by an Independent entity which, of course, shows Amsoil to be head and shoulders above the rest ; but id like to see these Tests on the website of the Independent Testing Facility -- can you show THOSE please ???

Quick Reply: AMSOIL vs Mobil 1