C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tom Cat scratches passenger door - need suggestions please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 12:02 AM
Old Black Chevy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tom Cat scratches passenger door - need suggestions please.

Evidently Tom Cat tried to jump from girlfriends Hog to my '80 Vette - and misses! He left 8 vertical scratches down passenger door, about 18 inches. They appear to be surface scratches. What is the best product to use to get these scratches out? She's got the original black paint and doesn't look too bad (less the scratches).

I appreciate any suggestions.
Old Black Chevy/Travis :flag
Old 05-20-2004, 12:06 AM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Tom Cat scratches passenger door - need suggestions please. (Old Black Chevy)

Any pics? Do you have a video of the event?
Old 05-20-2004, 12:12 AM
REDRED62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Tom Cat scratches passenger door - need suggestions please. (Old Black Chevy)

3m makes a compound called finesse. This is a mild abrasive that will remove mild scratch's from paint. After you use this you might want to use another compound called General Glazing compound. This is even finer than the Finesse compound and will remove even more. I don't know how deep the scratch's are but you should be able to use a rag and these compounds and remove them. General rule is the same as a windshield. If you can feel them with your finger nail, they will be a problem. If not, you should be able to remove them with no problems. I had my cat de-clawed... Never know when they might act crazy!

Red
Old 05-20-2004, 12:14 AM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Tom Cat scratches passenger door - need suggestions please. (REDRED62)

Get a .22 :lol:
Old 05-20-2004, 12:21 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Tom Cat scratches passenger door - need suggestions please. (71coupe)

Bait a cat trap and dispose of the rascal properly at an animal shelter in at least 2 towns over (never admit you did this to the owner.) I did that with one of my neighbors cats that liked to mark his place by urinating on my mag wheels (bye bye Mr Kitty!) I hope the cat found a better home, it was either that or take a more severe action but, I am an animal owner and properly delt with the problem (I keep my Vette in a garage, keep your cat INDOORS!) My childhood friend's brother came out one night to find his recently painted 59 Impala scratched by the latest litter of cats on his parents ranch, he went and got the varmit 22 rifle and took out his anger by giving "lead poisoning" to all 7 kittens (and Mama was spayed the following week.)
Old 05-20-2004, 01:45 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Tom Cat scratches passenger door - need suggestions please. (Solid LT1)

Yeah, I think i am going to need to start baiting the cats in my neighborhood. I dont understand my neighbors. They buy cats, several of them. Then just let them loose to roam. Never let them in the house. It seems everytime I go to mess with the vette, it is all dirty in spots with cat hair. I also found several scratches. Probably 7 or 8 areas where they use the car as a scratching post. Thank goodness the paint job is very old and rough. Cats are going to mysteriously disappear soon though!
Old 05-21-2004, 02:27 AM
TLChydraulics
Instructor

I agree with the others..... GET RID OF THE CAT, then fix your paint. My poor father-in-law drove his brand new convertable mustang over one day, left his top down, and had his back seat SHREDDED by a neighbors cat last year. HE WAS P-O'd!!! as would I. Good luck, and sorry to hear about your paint! :cry

Loren
Old 05-21-2004, 05:23 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Tom Cat scratches passenger door - need suggestions please. (TLChydraulics)

Meguire's Scratch X. I thought it worked the best on light scratches.
:yesnod: :seeya
Old 05-21-2004, 05:28 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

click click BOOM
Old 05-21-2004, 10:34 AM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Default Re: Tom Cat scratches passenger door - need suggestions please. (Solid LT1)

Bait a cat trap and dispose of the rascal properly at an animal shelter in at least 2 towns over (never admit you did this to the owner.) I did that with one of my neighbors cats that liked to mark his place by urinating on my mag wheels (bye bye Mr Kitty!) I hope the cat found a better home, it was either that or take a more severe action but, I am an animal owner and properly delt with the problem (I keep my Vette in a garage, keep your cat INDOORS!) My childhood friend's brother came out one night to find his recently painted 59 Impala scratched by the latest litter of cats on his parents ranch, he went and got the varmit 22 rifle and took out his anger by giving "lead poisoning" to all 7 kittens (and Mama was spayed the following week.)
That's stupid...why kill the animal?

[Modified by AGVI, 10:35 AM 5/21/2004]
Old 05-21-2004, 10:53 AM
MILO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Tom Cat scratches passenger door - need suggestions please. (AGVI)

My cat did the same thing while it got locked in the garage. The cat tried to crawl under the car cover on the driver's door side. I got all the scratches out using Meguirs Step 1 light scratch and oxidation remover. The deep scratches in my dark blue metallic paint are unnoticible but are still there if you look hard.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:59 AM
Chumpzilla
Pro

Why not....
Old 05-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Kevin Mason
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Re: Tom Cat scratches passenger door - need suggestions please. (Chumpzilla)

Was the cat OK?
Old 05-21-2004, 11:43 AM
stingray72
Burning Brakes

Why kill the animal?
Thats the standard tough guy answer to everything; kill the animal.
Nobody complains about the lack of mice in the area though.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Tom Cat scratches passenger door - need suggestions please. (stingray72)

:beatdeadhorse:

This comes up every so often and the answer is always this: owning a pet animal is a responsibility. With us it's dogs and we keep them under control and quiet, which is the right thing to do for our neighbors. I have the same issues with cats in my neck of town (po****g in my wife's vegetable garden) and have no qualms trapping them (live trap) and taking them to the animal shelter night deposit, tags and all. If they like their cat, they'll pay the fees and take better care of it. If not, they didn't deserve it anyway. It rarely happens twice. :thumbs:

Hans
Old 05-21-2004, 01:56 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Default Re: Tom Cat scratches passenger door - need suggestions please. (Chumpzilla)

Why not....
great argument....why not kill you, if you irritate me? :p: because it's a waste of life, even in your case! :lolg:

[Modified by AGVI, 1:57 PM 5/21/2004]
Old 05-21-2004, 02:20 PM
COMMANDER370
Burning Brakes

Solved my cat problem by taking some towels and putting them across back and front of car and sprinkled chinese red pepper on them. cats like licking their feet when they get something on them.never seen a cat move that fast unless he was being shot at.never came back either.guess he did not like chinese food :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Tom Cat scratches passenger door - need suggestions please.

Old 05-21-2004, 02:25 PM
propellar
Advanced

The cat needs to go. I could send my "two brothers"... Smith & Wesson.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:27 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

I love all these tough guys that puff out their chests and start talking about killing cats when one of these threads pops up. :rolleyes: Get a life guys.

A dog peed on my tires once, so I started leaving out bowls of antifreeze soaked hamburger every night. problem solved
:lol:
Old 05-21-2004, 06:31 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Tom Cat scratches passenger door - need suggestions please. (wcsinx)

lol, i dont agree with intentionally killing the animal. Trapping them and giving them over to the animal shelter is the best thing to do. Especially the cats that are roaming around free and are never cared for.

Quick Reply: Tom Cat scratches passenger door - need suggestions please.