C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you aquire your Vette?

Old 05-15-2004, 09:31 AM
Jasonty
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you aquire your Vette?

Just wondering if anybody has any weird stories on how they aquired their Vette's. My parents got the 81 when I was about 15. I used to sit in it when it was in the garage when they were gone. I would dust it weekly, and when I washed my Taurus SHO, I washed the Vette. They drove it MAYBE once a month. When I turned 17, the Vette had been sitting for 2 years. Nobody driving/starting it, just sitting under a tree in our driveway. I begged my parents to let me drive it to keep it up, but they said no. Oh well. So I join the Air Force in June of 2000, still 17 years old, graduate technical school for vehicle mechanics. I called my mom and told her I had found a 92 Mustang GT Coupe that I was gonna buy. It was my dream car at the time because it was pretty quick and affordable. She told me not to buy it, because she was giving me the Vette. So I get shipped off to Germany for 2 years, can't bring the Vette over. Finally get down here to TX, and I had the Vette shipped down here in October of 2003. It's been an interesting bottomless moneypit experience ever since.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:09 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 693 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Re: How did you aquire your Vette? (Jasonty)

Back in 1974 started looking for a vette real hard. Looked for over 6 months but couldn't find exactly what I wanted option wise. Out of desperation, I put a wanted ad in the forsale ad section of the St. Louis Post Sunday paper. Get the Sunday paper, see my ad in it. Exactly right under my ad is an ad for a Bryar Blue '72. Yep, ended up buying the same car. Still have the whole Sunday cars forsale ad section from back then. Interestingly enough, there also is a forsale ad for a '70 Hemicuda in the Plymouth section. Asking price was the same amount I paid for the Vette. :cry Charles
Old 05-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had several corvettes over the years. This 69 was a internet trade for a 92 about 4 years ago.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:51 AM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How did you aquire your Vette? (Mako72)

1987 I was looking to by a Corvette (68-72). I definitly wanted chrome bumpers. I went back to N.Y. for my friends wedding. My parents knew this and told me about one they'd seen near by with a "for sale" sign it. I had some time to kill one morning so went to take a look. It was definitly a "50 ft" car. The Vette had $9500 written in shoe polish real big on the front window. The paint was pretty new along with the tires and soft top. But the interior was trashed and the engine (come to find later) was a station wagon engine. Oh, by the way the Vette was a '73, Yellow with a black soft top. Not the originale color. Looked it over, drove it for about 30-45 minutes. It was my old neighborhood so I told the 20 year old kid "I know where I'm going... HOLD ON :D ..I made him an offer of $8000. As you can see in my sig pic...
THE REST OF THE STORY !!!!

It is NOT a MONEY PIT... It's a NEW HOBBY !!! :thumbs:
Old 05-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Jasonty
Pro

Default Re: How did you aquire your Vette? (LOTAHP)

Hmm... Interesting stuff... Keep em coming!! How does somebody give up a 69 Vette for a 92?
Old 05-15-2004, 12:17 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just like to add... I am very happy that I purchased a '73, rather than the '68-'72. Seeing the nose is about 3"-5" longer. I like that look better, I did not realize that at the time. And it is a "one of" year with the rubber front and chrome rear bumpers. A MUCH BETTER LOOKING VETTE!!! :thumbs:
Old 05-15-2004, 12:45 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

i used to have a repair shop and had a customer that dealt with vettes,vipers,rolls royces,cadillac allantes.i did all his repairs and painting for him.I already had a few vettes already but at the time i had just finished painting my 79 black,he called me and send i have something yo might want come over and take a look.So when i got there it was the 73 vette all original 43,000 miles 1 owner,never even tuned up.I always wanted a 73 in blue with blue interior too and he knew i wanted a 73.It needed paint and interior but ran good ,he said for you 1500.00.He handed me the keys and said go put a dealer plate on it and take it home with you ,and he said oh yeah i have a buyer for your 79 when your done with it.He wrote me a check for what i wanted and drove the 73 home.BUt after a few days of driving it around i found out the frame was rotted,so i pulled the body picked up a rolling chassis from another guy i knew for 250.00 :yesnod: and swapped everything over.From that point on i knew the car had to be modded. :thumbs:
Old 05-15-2004, 12:59 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: How did you aquire your Vette? (patsnitrovette)

Have owned six. Still have #5 and #6. Bought #6 On-line a couple of years ago and it is going to be with me a while. :)

BTW, I should have kept #1; a 64 Silver Coupe w/side pipes. :(
Old 05-15-2004, 01:26 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 509 Likes on 309 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Found mine sitting in a huge shed in Princeton, NJ back in 1992. had sat for 13 years but fired right up with a fresh battery. took a lot of work to freshen her up to standards, but she's sitting out in the garage waiting to go for a run. :yesnod:
Old 05-15-2004, 01:45 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

I never wanted a Vette. When I was younger, I wasn't a fan of them. I always liked the Chevelles-probably because my best friend had one that we cruised in all the time. Anyway, I've always had Chevy musclecars. Around '95, I almost bought a brown '76, but passed on it. After swapping and trading, I finally decided to get one in '99. I knew I wanted the big back window for the space. I was at work one day and a buddy of mine mentioned that a mutual "wheeler and dealer" friend had a '79. I went and looked at it and it was a turd, but it drove well and it was all there. I traded a '69 Camaro plus some cash for it. At the time, I hadn't done much research, so I didn't realize I could have gotten a better deal. Oh well, I didn't exactly get screwed, but the car had a 305 in it. Four and a half years later, I still love the car and don't ever see parting with it-especially after having dumped $16,000 into it-and that's just getting me started. In a few years, I'll build a mega-inch small block-maybe with an aluminum block. :chevy

[Modified by 79VetteMike, 12:46 PM 5/15/2004]
Old 05-15-2004, 02:02 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I once owned a 71 coupe and 92 roadster and did not have time to keep up with both, so the plan was to sell them and buy a nice 70 to 72 roadster (LT-1 or BB). I located a 72 LT-1 converible on the web, spoke with the owner a few times at length about the car, then on Saturday flew from Houston to Indiannapolis to see it on my wife's birthday (she's very understanding thankfully). After seeing and driving the car, I told him the car was sold and left a $1000 deposit. Wired the remaining balance the following Monday and worked through my acquaintances at Corvettes of Houston to have it shipped. The car made it from Indiannapolis to Dallas in 1.5 days, then the shipper misplaced they keys and it sat in Dallas for two days. A total of 5 days later it arrived and my impatience was finally satisfied.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:14 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I purchased mine from a fellow Forum member. It was shipped from Pennsylvania to Canada last June.

*Edit*-Not to imply that this method of acquisition is "weird."

[Modified by paul67, 3:28 PM 5/15/2004]
Old 05-15-2004, 02:18 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How did you aquire your Vette? (paul67)

Found my 74 when I went to look at a frame for my 77 GMC bought the vette instead of the frame. I bought my 73 of a forum member. I trailered it home from London Ontario last fall.......and soon they will be one.

Steve :steering:
Old 05-15-2004, 02:59 PM
Motor City Vette
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought it (sorry, I couldn't resist)!
:crazy:
Old 05-15-2004, 03:09 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How did you aquire your Vette? (Motor City Vette)

My dad always looks in the paper to see what is for sale. He was just messing around and saw a 69 for 5500. We were bored so we drove down, and looked at the car. He wasnt looking for a car, and had no intentions of buying the vette. We looked at it, and fell in love. It was a saturday and banks were closed. Had to leave a deposit and wait a few days before we could take her home. Later on i traded my 69 mustang for the vette.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Yeller81USNRet
Racer

Default Re: How did you aquire your Vette? (Motor City Vette)

Made a wrong turn one day and seen it sitting in the parking lot of a Motel with a 4 sale sign on the windshield. $5,900.. Took it for a test drive and offered the guy $5,500. Gave him a $100 deposit went to the Bank on Monday got the money and drove it home.. Been Happy ever since.
:steering:
Old 05-15-2004, 03:46 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

I worked my azz off over the the summer when I was 17. I got mine just in time for senior year in August. 5 Years later its come a long ways and its an addiction i'm not trying to kick. :lol:

I decided to leave out my first attempt at buying a vette. I found a "gorgeous" 81 that over the internet, and the seller told me everything I needed to know. So after buying a couple plane tickets from Billings, MT to San Jose I showed up with check i hand to drive my car home. What I found was one of the most gawd-awful POS vettes I've ever seen. There were spiderwebs in ALL of the paint, which was covered with some dark green touchup, EVERYWHERE. Not to mention the fact that there was PINK overspray everywhere showing the previous color. OH, and did I mention it smoked like an 1800's steam engine? I did however drive it just because I was pissed and it was terrible. Talk about a kick in the (#$(!. At this point I wasn't sure what to do and the seller played stupid.
I called the airport only to find out that a pair of tickets BACK to Montana would be $1700 :eek: :eek: So, some 40 hours later I got home on a Greyhound :'( :'( :U (Did I mention the lady with a ton of kids, one of whom puked a bunch of cheetos?) :U

That was my lesson on sight-unseen purchases.

I came home rather distraught, but found my little red (maroon) gal waiting for me at one of the local lots. A couple weeks later and I brought it home...just in time for senior year.

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To How did you aquire your Vette?

Old 05-15-2004, 04:15 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're right... The 73 is the best looking C3 (imo) I had 73 and I had a customized 71 with a 75 nose so it looked like a 73. Duntov lalways said 73 was his favorite for looks too.. The 73 I had was a strange car... silver coupe with power windows, A/C leather interior, rear defogger, luggage rack, AM FM stereo,. base 350 4 speed, NO power brakes or power steering.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:00 PM
R 73 454
Racer

Default Re: How did you aquire your Vette? (Larry B.)

My '73 was found in Hemming's 14 years ago. Ad read "two lady owners", yeah right! I'm still tracing owners, I'm up to 8! I think I've owned it longer than anyone else. Strange how they migrate though, I bought it in PA, brought it to NY. Original selling dealer was in Tulsa OK. This one will be my keeper! :D
Old 05-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Wamplet
Intermediate

Default Re: How did you aquire your Vette?

Just recently bought mine about 2 months ago.

1974 Brown Coupe.

I met the guy at a storage lot and my uncle and I took it for a spin.

My uncle told me to stop on the feeder of the highway and then gun it. We took off and had the windows down. There was some kind of antique sticker or certificate just sitting on the back of the window on the inside. Well, it flew out by the time we hit 40MPH, which wasn't that long at all. :o

I took it back to the lot and bought it. I drove it home and looked on the feeder for about a mile for that little certificate, but it was nowhere to be found. :Doh:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How did you aquire your Vette?