C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brighter headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Brighter headlights (Touringpro)

I'm getting a quote from a dealer that our company buys from for the 4480. Will let you know the price. Think this is the one I am going for.

Update:
Well, its not the 4480 - only 6000 candlepower. Vendor is bringing the catalogs for Wagner and GE tomorrow for me to review. Maybe I can scan the info for posting.

[Modified by Larry82, 3:44 PM 5/3/2004]
Old 05-03-2004, 09:53 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Brighter headlights (Larry82)

Can someone explain the beam spread numbers? It sounds simple enough, but I keep seeing inconsitencies.

This one (15x7 spread) says it's primary use is "spot" http://www.dee-inc.com/netstore/cata...ed+Beam+Lights

While these ones are for vehicle use (50x7 spread) and aircraft landing use (11x6)... http://www.dee-inc.com/netstore/cata...ed+Beam+Lights

It seems like those spreads have no relation to their uses. The spot has a small spread, but so does the landing light.

Great thread! :thumbs:

-Chris
Old 05-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Brighter headlights (LiveandLetDrive)

I think, me thinks, the first number is the horizontal distance from the light. The second number is the height of the light. Thus, a tighter number set is more spot than flood.

Twin-turbo - lend me some brain cells!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:31 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What we need to do is get a group purchase to get teh minimum $50.00 to eliminate the $20.00 surcharge. Say, I buy two sets and sell the other set, split the shipping to my place and charge shipping to yours....works? Yes?
Old 05-04-2004, 02:24 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Brighter headlights (GDaina)

you save 10 bucks with a over 50 puchase, then when you send them to me, now we have another shipping charge to deal with.

I sent an email off this morning. no reply yet???? I'll let you guys know what they say as soon as I know.

Larry, I can't wait to hear what you find out from your supplier. Maybe we can do a group purchase from him.... :thumbs:
Old 05-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Vette X 3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Brighter headlights (boodyman)

What about this??!! Seems like another solution...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34207
Old 05-05-2004, 10:04 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Brighter headlights (boodyman)

Those are the "hella look" replacements. I don't think they will fit.
:nono:
Old 05-05-2004, 10:44 PM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Brighter headlights (71coupe)

Those are the "hella look" replacements. I don't think they will fit.
:nono:
to be honest.. by looking at the pictures I think they will work.

Ive tried 3 units to work in my car. http://www.cibie.net was the only one to "plug n play".
look under cibie lighting systems, sae standard euro codes then at

5.75-HR 5 3/4" "E -code" Halogen High Beam Cibie H1 $55.00

this a nice GLASS unit that will drop in. all you have to do is buy your favorite type of filiment to stick in the back (witch could be HID later on down the road).

here is the link to the tech paper I wrote... why they have it in the c5 section.. sigh I dunno

......silly mods :) https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=225&TopicID=1

cheeers
chad
Old 05-06-2004, 03:26 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Brighter headlights (71coupe)

Still no email reply from these guys http://www.asltg.com/ .

Larry, have you found any new info yet????
Old 05-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Brighter headlights (Desertdawg)

The so-and-so never showed up.

Going to see if I can get him to fax me anything.

Update:

Called the vendor (Stasco, in Houston) and I think the salesman is on his way out to our place now. Another salesman in office says the other salesman just came in and grabbed some lighting catalogues and left.

Keep you posted.

[Modified by Larry82, 1:48 PM 5/6/2004]
Old 05-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

OK, I have the Wagner and GE catalogues. GE not much help as they do not give candle power or beam spread. Wagner does. Have scanned the one page that has the comparative info on it. If someone will email me, I will email the page to them for posting here. My webpage not working now.

But, the H5001 in the post above is the best choice. The candlepower of it is 55,000 vs the stock 29,000 - almost double. All other specs and dimensions are the same.

Turns out, the low beam stock is the best combination of low beam power and high beam power. Stock has the most CP on low beam of all alternatives.

However, most importantly, if you already have halogen headlights in your car, you already have the H5001.

So, closed topic for me. Staying with what I have, just adjust driver high beam to shine right into the other lane at the right height ;)

[Modified by Larry82, 6:55 PM 5/6/2004]
Old 05-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Touringpro
Racer

Default Re: Brighter headlights (GDaina)

If anyone is interested, I have an extra pair of 4537's for sale; I orderd 2 and they shipped me 4. I was originally going to send 'em back, but thought I'd offer them to you guys first.

My cost is $32 and that's what I'll let them go for. Freight is additional of course, but will be no more than $9.00 (and that's based on a shipment from here to Miami :D)

Lemme know if you can use them.
Gene

Edit - SOLD. Thanks, James

[Modified by Touringpro, 4:28 PM 5/9/2004]
Old 05-08-2004, 01:32 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks for the offer Gene, I think me and 71'airstrike are going to order 2 sets to try.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:26 AM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 184 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Re: Brighter headlights (Desertdawg)

I just went through all of my papers and can't find the specs, but I bought Sylvania's off the shelf and the improvement over stock was large.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:49 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Hey 71'AirStrike, I loved your write up on the HID conversion! I read it a few months back on corvettefaq. I think i even posted the link previously in this thread. How do you like the HIDs? Does the extra heat affect anything? I was wanting to convert over to that setup but was unsure of the route to go with different companies. Great info :thumbs:
Old 05-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Summerfun
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gene,
I'll take them if you are willing to ship to Canada!

E-mail me off list if you want and we'll discuss specifics.
Well, basically give me a shipping cost and way to pay you and it will be done!
Old 05-08-2004, 08:34 PM
toolking
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Brighter headlights (Ironcross)

Thanks for bring those up! During my misspent youth I had them (or something similar by Lucas) in a 67 Firebird I had. In those days all we had was Amp meters ... you should have seen the meter jump when I hit 'em. You're right you cannot outdrive them. I'm buying a set next week. Thanks for the numbers!!! BTW they are great for flashing folks out of the left lane!

Get notified of new replies

To Brighter headlights

Old 05-08-2004, 09:48 PM
Touringpro
Racer

Default Re: Brighter headlights (Summerfun)

Gene,
I'll take them if you are willing to ship to Canada!

E-mail me off list if you want and we'll discuss specifics.
Well, basically give me a shipping cost and way to pay you and it will be done!

You have mail
Old 05-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Pete76Shark
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Brighter headlights GE 4537 as high beams

Just finished the GE4537 aircraft landing light mod and the MAD headlight relay mod.

First, the MAD relay is top quality for sure. Easy to install and it comes with everything you need.

Second, the GE 4537 is NOT a "plug ang play" replacement. What do I mean by that you ask ? well, the stock headlights all have alignment high spots on the back of the sealed beam, these align with slots in the metal holder. Well the 4537 is different in that the high spot is in the wrong place if you want to install the bulb with the proper orientation.

Proper orientation being this...the 4537 has a shield inside of the bulb that creates a blind sopt right above the bulb in a 180 degree circle. so the bulb should be installed with this shield pointing straight up. And the alignment high spots will not allow this in my 76.
So I did the dremel trick and cut out a new notch in the metal holder. When I say metal holder I DO NOT mean the crome ring you remove to remove the bulb...I mean the black metal holder behind the bulb. It is a quick job if you are good with a dremel and a cutoff disk.

Also, I had to transistion from the screw connector that the 4537 came with to a connector that would work with my stock hi-beam connector. Not a big deal. I de-soldered a few of the old headlight connectors and used them with some extra wire from the MAD relay kit to do the transisition.

So how do they look ?

Well first off I now have 14.5 volts going directly to all of the lights.
My low beams are brighter.
My dash lights are brighter.
If I leave the highbeams on for more then a few minutes you can see my Vette on satalight photos for South Carolina....

I am liking this mod.
:cool:
Old 05-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Re: Brighter headlights GE 4537 as high beams (Pete76Shark)

Second, the GE 4537 is NOT a "plug ang play" replacement. What do I mean by that you ask ? well, the stock headlights all have alignment high spots on the back of the sealed beam, these align with slots in the metal holder. Well the 4537 is different in that the high spot is in the wrong place if you want to install the bulb with the proper orientation.

Proper orientation being this...the 4537 has a shield inside of the bulb that creates a blind sopt right above the bulb in a 180 degree circle. so the bulb should be installed with this shield pointing straight up. And the alignment high spots will not allow this in my 76.
So I did the dremel trick and cut out a new notch in the metal holder. When I say metal holder I DO NOT mean the crome ring you remove to remove the bulb...I mean the black metal holder behind the bulb. It is a quick job if you are good with a dremel and a cutoff disk.

Also, I had to transistion from the screw connector that the 4537 came with to a connector that would work with my stock hi-beam connector. Not a big deal. I de-soldered a few of the old headlight connectors and used them with some extra wire from the MAD relay kit to do the transisition.

So how do they look ?

Well first off I now have 14.5 volts going directly to all of the lights.
My low beams are brighter.
My dash lights are brighter.
If I leave the highbeams on for more then a few minutes you can see my Vette on satalight photos for South Carolina....

I am liking this mod.
:cool:
I think did try to explain the modification to the headlight bucket in one of my previous posts. But you figured it out for yourself and got it right. :thumbs:

Instant daylight hey! :lol: Bet you can`t outdrive them. :thumbs: :cool:
A real bitchen set of lights. :lol:

Quick Reply: Brighter headlights