C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q-jet inlet repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 11:59 AM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Q-jet inlet repair

Anybody know a way to repair the female threads on the gas line/filter inlet on a Q-jet. Mine have been stripped for the past few times I've changed the paper filter, but this time the fitting won't even snug to a point where I'm comfortable with it. Thinking about not even installing the small filter and JB Welding it in place. But, knowing me, even if I JB Weld her in there I'll need to fix it right in the near future. So, thinking as I'm typing I guess I'll install the filter AND permanently epoxy the fitting in.

But, in the mean time (and for future reference) does anybody know how this white metal threaded inlet can be fixed? Adapter bushing, oversized male fitting, etc?
Old 04-17-2004, 01:45 PM
JW714
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Q-jet inlet repair (ettev)

I would stay away from epoxy. I have heard a Heli-coil fix is available,but the tooling is cost prohibitive. Why not send it to Lars and let him do the repair. I understand he has the tooling for it plus a jig to hold the carb base when he bores out the old threads.He can be reached at V8FastCars@msn.com .I have had my carb. and dist. done by him and was very pleased with his work and turn around time. JW714 :thumbs:
Old 04-17-2004, 03:08 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Q-jet inlet repair (JW714)

Too late. She already got the JB Weld. Tomorrow morning will be the test!
Old 04-17-2004, 03:18 PM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I had mine rebuilt by recarbco out in california. They repaired all the threads and put in bushings along with the plating and bench flow testing the carb. Looks like brand new for $127 + $15 shipping. If your carb was in good condition except for the threads I would send it to LARS as he is the QJET guru. Mine was a piece of crap of ebay so I sent it to recarbco for the total rebuild. I may send it to LARS to tune in the next year once I get the rest of my stuff organised.

[Modified by stingry, 2:19 PM 4/17/2004]
Old 04-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In the auto parts help section there is a replacement fitting to fix.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:10 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Q-jet inlet repair (Ganey)

Hi Ganey,
Could you post a link to the part (I can't find it!!!!).
TIA
Paul
Old 04-19-2004, 08:42 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,927 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I can properly repair the early model Q-Jet inlet threads (the 7/8" threads). JB weld isn't going to hold, and it will start leaking when you don't know it's leaking.... I've seen cars burn to the ground like that.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:32 AM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Q-jet inlet repair (lars)

JB weld isn't going to hold
Kind of figured it wouldn't hold long term. I needed the car yesterday for a club event, so it was the best option available to me this weekend. What I'd really like to find is a good reconditioned Q-jet replacement for mine. According to the numbers it looks like my current carb is from a 1969 vette, 350/300 automatic (carb #7029202). My car is a 1970 350/300 4-speed. According to lars' paper I'd need a #7040207 Q-jet. Anybody have one they'd be willing to part with?

[Modified by ettev, 10:34 AM 4/19/2004]
Old 04-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Default Re: Q-jet inlet repair (UKPaul)

Paul

Made by Motormite. Found their website: http://www.motormitedormancatalog.com/start.wws
From website, No. should be:
55141 1" dia. w/long fitting to accept filter Quadrajet
55140 1" dia. w/short fitting for Quadrajet

[Modified by Ganey, 9:01 AM 4/20/2004]
Old 04-19-2004, 11:39 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

:cool:

[Modified by MNJack, 12:01 PM 4/20/2004]
Old 04-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Default Re: Q-jet inlet repair (MNJack)

That's why it said "should". It's always better to check than call. You could have given a link. Thanks for the help. He probably needs it to find, being in the UK.

Previous post edited w/ new info. from their website.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:16 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,927 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I've never had much success with those over-sized self-tapping repair inlet fittings. The problem is that when the threads strip out, the metal in the inlet area turns into this gray-colored mush. The oversized thread-tapping fittings don't dig in deep enough to cut a good, reliable thread: they dig in far enough that you can get the new fitting installed and working, but after a couple of removals, the threads strip right back out again. The only way to really repair the inlet is to tap it into clean virgin metal and install a stainless steel helical insert. That way, the inlet fitting will ride on the stainless threads and not rely on the "pot metal" threads for the wear.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Default Re: Q-jet inlet repair (lars)

I changed the guy's carb setup to an external filter. He's had no problems w/ it.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:38 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ganey,
Thanks for the link, excellent info :thumbs: I've used that type of fix before, in a different situation & as long as you're careful putting it in you can usually fix the problem (depending on how heavy-handed Bubba was in wrecking it in the 1st place). As Lars rightly said, you can't take them back out very often & still keep a good seal.
Lars,
Here's what the situation is: I've got the inlet adaptor in as tight as I dare. Any tighter & it'll probably rip out the last of the thread from the monkey metal the carb is made of. The filter has been removed & I'm running an external one. I'll get one of the parts Ganey has pointed me to, but won't fit it unless it starts leaking. At the moment there is a yellow stain slowly spreading, so it's obviously seeping slightly, but there's only a miniscule amount of fuel getting out as it's never wet. I know that you'll turn around the fix quickly but the postal system isn't as efficient (not to mention any hang-ups in Customs). If it leaks & the part Ganey pointed me to doesn't fix it then I'll send it to you for a repair, otherwise I'll send it at the end of the summer (if I'd thought about it I should have done this during the winter :kickingmyself!).
By the way, your recommendation for DA secondary rods with my Dynomax Headers was spot on, it runs great with them :thumbs: Nice one mate! (Or as we used to say, "Much obliged old chap, thanks awfully"!).
Thanks both of you,
:cheers:
Old 04-21-2004, 10:05 AM
Ganey
Race Director

It didn't look like removing it repeatedly for filter replacement would last, that's why:
I changed the guy's carb setup to an external filter.
He's had no problems w/ it.

Get notified of new replies

To Q-jet inlet repair

Quick Reply: Q-jet inlet repair