C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-Force 5 speed Test Drive!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 08:05 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default G-Force 5 speed Test Drive!

Got the new G-force 5 speed trans on Friday afternoon.

First off let me tell you, it's a cool looking piece. Billet throwout bearing collar, ARP studs, etc etc. Machine work is beautiful.

The outside appearance is very similar to a Richmond/Nash. The internals are the difference. First it uses straight cut gears and "dog ring" type sliders..meaning there are no synchronizers. Just big open slots to engage making for quicker shifts. The shift forks actually ride on two internal rails that make it similar to an internal rail shifter. But HUGE! There are additional bearing supports (the Richmond already has a midbearing...this adds one more). Of course the steel is of killer material and they say it can handle 1300HP. Should be OK with my weenie little 825 HP!!

It comes with a Long shifter. I got the H-pattern one so it would fit stock console. I can tell you that the Long shifter is a monster piece as compared to the Hurst. I've run Hurst's for years with no issues, but they really redesigned the Long to be beefy. It uses machined forgings instead of stampings and is just overall very stout looking. Not sure if they have redesigned them all, but the one I got looks different than the ones in the catalog or the one Steve Barker (542C2) got a year or two ago. Since the 1/2 and 3/4 shift rods must curve, mine came with additional welded on bracing on each rod at the curves. It also used a straight stainless 5/R shift rod as opposed to the other ones with curved rods. Heim joint ends etc.Looks pretty impressive, but I guess it should for this price!

We put it in with little trouble. It directly replaced the Doug Nash/Richmond I pulled out of it. I spec'd it with the same input and output shafts as well as a speedo type tailhousing.

We took it out for it's first drive. It is noiser than the Nash in the first 4 gears, but I expected that with straight cut gears. 5th is dead quiet though, so highway cruising is fine. The Long shifter is a good bit "notchier" than a Hurst and requires a more deliberate action to shift it clean. I think that will improve with me getting used to it.

Shifting of the trans at low speeds takes a little getting used to. It's just like driving my old Muncies where I had removed synchros and made "crashboxes" out of them. No big deal, you just have to get used to it and match rpm for the shift. After a few miles I had the techique down again.

Then it was WOT time! I had a buddy with me who helped install it. He has never ridden inthe car. I told him I wanted to practice a few "low speed" power shifts to get the feel for it. As we idled along in 1st gear, I rolled hard into the throttle keeping tire spin just on the edge.....hit about 6500 or so and then BANG...nailed 2nd....and then 3rd...and then 4th........

He said "What happened to the practice"?!!! I said that WAS practice!!

We did that a few times and it was fantastic! That sucker shifts like butter. I think I'm in love!!!

I also spec'd trans with ratios that help this 540 wind like it wants to. It sure likes that part too!

So even though, it's ridiculously priced...it puts me one step closer to my goals!

JIM

[Modified by 427Hotrod, 7:55 PM 3/21/2004]
Old 03-07-2004, 10:45 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: G-Force 5 speed Test Drive! (427Hotrod)

:cool: Very impressive. :)
Old 03-08-2004, 07:49 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Sounds like it's a beast of a transmission! I also like my G Force prepped Road Race transmission, the Long shifter is great! :cool: :cheers:
Old 03-08-2004, 12:37 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

That sounds awesome, thanks for the product review. I've been contemplating their dogring T-5 transmission. It should be able to handle my little small block and its power output. You'll have to take me for a ride at the cruise-in. Also, have you checked out the southwest events section of the forum. Plans are already being made for caravans up to Bowling Green for CI V. You may want to join in. Hopefully we can cruise up there together.

I hope there wasn't too much damage from the balancer coming apart. At least it wasn't your new transmission.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:18 PM
IT STINGS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: G-Force 5 speed Test Drive! (burners)

Does anyone have a link to the G Force website???
Old 03-08-2004, 03:26 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: G-Force 5 speed Test Drive! (IT STINGS)

http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com
Old 03-08-2004, 11:04 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 853 Likes on 624 Posts

Default Re: G-Force 5 speed Test Drive! (burners)

Sounds awesome Jim, congrats. Jeez I wish I could get things done as fast as you do. Can't wait to hear of your next trip to the track. Don't keep us waiting too long eh!

Bill.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:42 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: G-Force 5 speed Test Drive! (69ttop502)

Thanks guys....

It seems like it takes forever to get these things done to me. I travel a lot for work so I have to really plan ahead so things are ready to assemble when I get home. But even then, I've been know to get started late in the evening and not look up 'till sunup...literally! I honestly just have fun playing with this stuff and it's very relaxing to me to piddle around in the garage.

JIM

[Modified by 427Hotrod, 7:57 PM 3/21/2004]
Old 03-10-2004, 12:24 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

sounds too cool. i've thought about the g-force but don't have anything powerful enough to warrant it. meanwhile, is the old doug nash for sale????
Old 03-10-2004, 10:26 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: G-Force 5 speed Test Drive! (clutchdust)

Hey, you can get a G-Force now and know it will outlive you!

Sorry, but I already sold the Nash to another Forum member. He picked up QUICK when I mentioned on here I might be selling it

JIM
Old 03-12-2004, 01:00 AM
atiroc1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who did your custom dana rear end? Does your shifter fit through the console?

Get notified of new replies

To G-Force 5 speed Test Drive!

Quick Reply: G-Force 5 speed Test Drive!