C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel injection or carb?

Old 02-25-2004, 09:01 PM
jdcrvt
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injection or carb?

Hi gang. I currently have a GM GOodwrench motor. My question is should I rebuild it and add a fuel minjection system to it. If so, what type? I've heard very mixed things about the aftermarket systems. I haven't heard anything good about Holley's system, but am wondering about FAST, Accel, Edelbrock or Good old GM MAP system. I'm also a little leary about tweaking the system.
Lastly, I am just thinking about a carbureted ZZ4 crate motor from S-D, Pace, etc. Any suggestions? Appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:05 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: Fuel injection or carb? (jdcrvt)

If money is not a factor go F.I. without a doubt. :yesnod:

[Modified by Corey 68, 8:32 PM 2/25/2004]
Old 02-25-2004, 09:06 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what do you want it to do???? stock performance, torque, or tire smokin'
get busted fast :hurray: need more input :thumbs:
Old 02-25-2004, 09:06 PM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

two words 572 RAM JET :D
Old 02-25-2004, 09:08 PM
comp
Team Owner

Default Re: Fuel injection or carb? (71'AirStrike)

oh ya' $$$$$ big time :party:
Old 02-25-2004, 09:23 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Fuel injection or carb? (comp)

Not sure why the Holley would be any worse than the other aftermarket systems out there, their ECU is a pretty powerful processor. I know people that have had great results with it which helped me decide to go with them. Their new stealthram setup is getting great results from people :yesnod:

Depending on how much your able to spend, I would go with EFI. The 350 Ramjet may also be an option for you for the price.

happy hunting :cheers:
Old 02-25-2004, 09:37 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

How do you use the car? Does it need to start great in 100F and 10F? Do you drive it in traffic, cross country and to work? If yes, EFI is wonderful. If you only drive it a few weekends a month and only to shows, a carb is ok.

I have the Holley commander 950 port EFI on my 454 and like it. I drive mine to work everyday so I want to ease of use that EFI gives me (turn the turn and drive).
Old 02-25-2004, 10:00 PM
comp
Team Owner

Default Re: Fuel injection or carb? (zwede)

:iagree: do you need to drive it 5 days a week? across country,(road side repairs) weekend blasts in the hood? if it's allout B*@#@'s to the wall , dump
the $$$$$ into mail order only high end goodies :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 02-25-2004, 10:29 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a few late model hotrods (95 Z28, 96 Ramair Firebird, 97 Cobra, 98 Camaro SS) and I can tell ya trying to upgrade for more HP is a very expensive proposition. When you start talking MAF, 8 injectors, program tweaking for the brain...it gets costly. That's one reason I went back to old cars and carbs. Get a big enuff carb and it will grow with you throughout many engine upgrades. Everybody is right tho, they're not totally reliable, they're inefficient, and sometimes frustrating...but flexible and easy to tune. I've thought about going to FI but it's not worth $2k+ on a weekend fun car. If it was a daily driver, yes it would be worth it to go FI cause you want it to be as efficient as possible.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 02-26-2004, 12:06 AM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Default Re: Fuel injection or carb? (zwede)

How do you use the car? Does it need to start great in 100F and 10F? Do you drive it in traffic, cross country and to work? If yes, EFI is wonderful. If you only drive it a few weekends a month and only to shows, a carb is ok.

I have the Holley commander 950 port EFI on my 454 and like it. I drive mine to work everyday so I want to ease of use that EFI gives me (turn the turn and drive).
zwede, I agree totaly.....I have the Commander 950 on the 69-427 vert and wouldn't trade it for anything...especially a carb. I don't drive it to work but it sure makes performance tuning a breeze. I can't count the times I have fixed one thing or another on the old Holley carbs. My experience isn't very good with a carb that sits undriven most of the time. Gaskets, power valves, etc. get dry and before you know it your loadin up real bad!!! I strongly recommend FI unless your stuck with keeping it completly original which is the only reason the LT-1's have carbs.

Bullshark
Old 02-26-2004, 01:16 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Default Re: Fuel injection or carb? (Corey 68)

If money is not a factor go F.I. without a doubt. :yesnod:
:iagree: I'm hoping to have my accel/miniram completed within a month. It is far cheaper to by a complete kit, but I didn't like any of the ECM/Intake combos that were available :cheers:
Old 02-26-2004, 01:31 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Fuel injection or carb? (Corey 68)

well, between fuel injection on that GM motor, or a carb on a ZZ4, you will get more bang for the carb on a ZZ4. That GM motor usually has no decent power, and FI ain't helping it that much.

if you want to do FI, I would get the Holley C950 system. Either TBI or multi port, I would stick with the Holley system. I think it's the only one that is completely customer controllable. The Edelbrock system and FAST have some tunability, but if you want to change cams, they need to have a new chip made. In the Holley, you just change settitngs in the software on your own.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:37 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Fuel injection or carb? (stickboy)

The guys on the Fuel Injection Chevy Forum think Holley systems are one of the best, and they appear to be the most cost effective. I'm going with the new Commander 950...
Old 02-26-2004, 02:18 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Default Re: Fuel injection or carb? (BSeery)

The Edelbrock system and FAST have some tunability, but if you want to change cams, they need to have a new chip made. In the Holley, you just change settitngs in the software on your own.

:confused: :confused: The FAST system, along with Accel and Haltech are completely tunable with a computer. In fact they offer more than the Holley system does. One thing that come to mind is sequential injection. This is the reason I chose accel over holley
Old 02-26-2004, 08:04 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Fuel injection or carb? (stickboy)

All depends on what you want. If you want a little more power than stock it is hard to beat a TPI. If you want a lot of upgrades than the Holley or Edelbrock systems are more tuneable. Whichever way you go, EFI is easier in cold weather.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

IF you decide to go with an EFI system that requires a computer be sure you have either a backup computer, enough money to buy another computer, or someone in your area that will deal with an aftermarket EFI system.

I was starting to make tuning progress last summer when my laptop died. I had spent all my money on the FI itself. I haven't been able to drive my car since the end of last summer.

If you're a tweak addict or really need the flexability of these systems (FAST, Accel, or C950) then they will suit you very well.

If you don't plan on doing much upgrading they are NOT the system for you. If I were to do it all over again I would not have gone with the ZZ4 and Commander 950 MPFI. My car is mostly for cruising and the 350HP of the 12495515 - Ram Jet 350 would have been a MUCH better choice in my case. 20/20 hindsight I guess.

The carb'ed ZZ4 is a nice motor but if you're thinking EFI now your thoughts may drift back to it later. (at least mine did. :lol: )

Good luck! :cheers:
Old 02-26-2004, 02:42 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

How about the math here. Let's see: GM goodwrench 350 = $1400
;Brand new Q-jet carb < $500 (Holley spreedbore < $350)
;Cheapest FI (Edlebrock) $2000. So:
1 new motor + 1 new carb = $1900
1 new FI = $2000
or 1 new ZZ4 ($3300) + 1 new FI = $5300 :nono:

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel injection or carb?

Old 02-26-2004, 10:37 PM
jdcrvt
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Fuel injection or carb? (71'AirStrike)

I really like the way you think dude! Actually I'm just looking for some good old hot rod type performance with reliability. But I am also intrigued by the 350 Ram Jet. Best of both worlds, without the hassle of aftermarket components.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:44 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Id say go injected :thumbs:
Old 02-26-2004, 10:45 PM
jdcrvt
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Fuel injection or carb? (SmokedTires)

I'm not sure why their original system is getting such a bad rap, but I haven't heard anything bad about the stealth ram system. I am such a traditionalist that I swore to myself it was going to be a ZZ4 with a carb. But everything that I drive is FI and I like the smooth consistent performance. Also a good buddy who has rebuilt at least six Vettes of various generations, is trying to convince me that FI is the way to go for a nice cruiser with a decent amount of hp & torque. My main concern about aftermarket FI is the tweaking business, wiring harness etc. I'm just now putting the frame back together so I have a little time, but do want to drop the motor in before putting the body back on. :banghead:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel injection or carb?