C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does anyone still have the A.I.R on their car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: does anyone still have the A.I.R on their car? (fauxrs)

BTW Dep

Think back when the e-ways where first created, what was the speed limit?
Old 02-26-2004, 05:53 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Re: does anyone still have the A.I.R on their car? (fauxrs)

"I resent the implication that I am immature....my definition of speeding is 56 in a 55 zone....I am not talking about 90 in a school zone or 60 on surface streets or any other such nonsense. I'm talking about 70 on the freeway (65 mph posted) which in San Diego is an invitation to get rear ended. I AM NOT talking about reckless exhibitions of speed on any streets.

Ask any forum member who really knows me and isnt interested in painting me with the reckless immature idiot brush as you seem inclined to do, and I think you will find that I am about as mature and level headed as anybody you might hope to meet."

Dep: Well I think this comes under the classification "if the shoe fits..."
Your definition of speeding is the same as mine. If you are so intimidated by people that are behind you, then move to the far right lane. If its a single lane road in each direction and they honk their horn, either wave at them and take it as a compliment directed at your car or use any one of numerous hand signs to show your feelings about them. Telling a police officer "I was speeding because the guy in back of me was riding my butt" will bring a smile
to the officer's face as he hands you the ticket. And up goes your insurance rates. Trust me...I've heard ALL these excuses in my lifetime. NONE of them justify speeding. Next time there is a head on because some nitwit had a blowout while speeding, take a REAL GOOD look at the remains. If you can even sort them out. That could be YOU. I would prefer it not be, but if you continue with the lame-o excuses of " the guy behind me is pushing me", you are tempting fate. Let HIM get the speeding ticket or wrap himself around a lamp post. The law of averages guarantees it will EVENTUALLY happen to those folks.

Fevre: I see NO point to your comment at all. Gas used to be 25 cents a gallon and there used to be lots fewer cars on the road and the people that had a license at least knew what language the warning signs were written in.
Can't go back in time. All we have is the present. Deal with it.

Dep

[Modified by DJ Dep, 4:55 PM 2/26/2004]
Old 02-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: does anyone still have the A.I.R on their car? (DJ Dep)

Fevre: I see NO point to your comment at all. Gas used to be 25 cents a gallon and there used to be lots fewer cars on the road and the people that had a license at least knew what language the warning signs were written in.
Can't go back in time. All we have is the present. Deal with it.

Dep

[Modified by DJ Dep, 4:55 PM 2/26/2004]
People speed, you deal with it or don't go on the roads. :rolleyes:
Old 02-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: does anyone still have the A.I.R on their car? (paul67)

Dep,
You are having a good time with this thread ;) . But I do have to agree with others. There are a few of us who like to drive on the street, and not race or even speed. Just the sheer joy of driving a Corvette. And while I agree you can get hit out there, the fun is worth it. Mine is not a trophy car but at 6:00am on a Sunday morning in the summer this car hits the road. Before the strange drivers wake up.

All the Best,
Paul
:iagree:

By the way, no smog stuff here either.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:26 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Re: does anyone still have the A.I.R on their car? (Fevre)

People speed, you deal with it or don't go on the roads. :rolleyes:
We aren't talking about PEOPLE. I KNOW the other nitwits speed. We are talking about forum members. Hopefully, we can keep them alive long enough so they can get a higher post count than you have :)

Dep
Old 02-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Rooster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: does anyone still have the A.I.R on their car? (chromebumperC3)

i have 'em on mine - by choice - after motor swap - they will go back on - I want the original look - I don't think that it will sacrifice to much HP. I know I could get more w/ out them - but it's not that big of a concern for me.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:15 AM
chromebumperC3
Heel & Toe

Default Re: does anyone still have the A.I.R on their car? (Jeff 6T9)

:chill: how did this post get from AIR to "speed everybody does it vs. dont speed you'll die"? :chill:

[Modified by chromebumperC3, 3:16 PM 2/27/2004]
Old 02-27-2004, 11:19 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What does this banter have to do with the topic as started "does anyone still have the A.I.R. on their car?" Educate me - is this a forum for C3's, to learn and to exchange knowledge or a forum to express your viewpoints in a chatroom format. Thought that was for the OT forum.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: does anyone still have the A.I.R on their car? (bigvette1)

What does this banter have to do with the topic as started "does anyone still have the A.I.R. on their car?" Educate me - is this a forum for C3's, to learn and to exchange knowledge or a forum to express your viewpoints in a chatroom format. Thought that was for the OT forum.
Dep has a way of steering things a little off topic, don't get to fired up over it, just think of it as a little nat that it buzzing in your ear for a few minutes. :conehead
Old 02-27-2004, 12:29 PM
jdcrvt
Heel & Toe

Mine was gone before I bought the car. Connecticut has recently amended the testing laws to make cars 25 years old or older exempt, thankfully. The last time that I had it tested, the manager of the emmisions place gave me a "waived" sticker. It turns out that he owned a Vette too.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:09 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: does anyone still have the A.I.R on their car? (Jeff 6T9)

mine was long gone when I got the car. The holes in the exhaust manifolds are plugged. I don't plan on replacing it.
Ditto here. I can think of better ways to spend $500 to $900.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:08 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Re: does anyone still have the A.I.R on their car? (Fevre)

Contrary to Fevre's anti-Dep comments, the topic veered because Ted wrote:

"Moral of the story: Unless you plan to drive your vette off-road ONLY, emissions equipment should be retained (on car or in boxes) if possible."

Yes, I veered it because I couldn't understand driving the Vette ON the road.
If you drive off road you can remove ALL the pollution crap and never have to worry about it again.
Didn't realize the topic ***** were on the prowl over here :)

So go ahead and answer yes or no. It will make for some real boring reading.

Yes
No
Yes
No
Yes
No.

There...that should keep the topic patrol happy :D

Dep

[Modified by DJ Dep, 3:09 PM 2/27/2004]
Old 02-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: does anyone still have the A.I.R on their car? (SharkAttack)

My old cars are all missing the air injection and were that way when I got 'em. I may drag up the stuff someday, but it's not a priority, especially when you see what they get for that stuff used!

I used to get around this when CA required smogs on old cars by removing the alternator (not required in any smog laws I've seen) and slapping an old Buick air pump I have on in it's place. Then I just put on the required hoses and valves (any manufaturer will do) and ran it thru. On my BOSS 302, I even added two catalytic converters hidden in regular mufflers to run it through! I used to get nervous when it started to spit out sparks (the converter dying on 100 octane leaded gas), but the dolts never noticed.

Now I don't sweat it. By the way Dep, what are you worried about? My understanding is that your vette is pretty much a custom, so top value isn't really an issue, right? Go out there and drive that sucker. Besides, anything can be fixed, and odds of a major wreck are remote if you're as safe a driver as I think you are...

If I worried all the time, I'd end up in the rubber room like Howard Hughes.

(Am I gonna need a flame suit for this?)

Hans
Old 02-27-2004, 08:21 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Re: does anyone still have the A.I.R on their car? (Wrencher)

Hans,
No flames from me. I'm a nice guy ;)

You are right that I have probably pretty much destroyed "resale value" of my car. I never even worried about that when I bought it because I got it for a pretty resonable price and I knew from day 1 that it was going to be strictly for the track. When I get done with it it will be pretty much "unstreetable", so I have NO urge to drive it on the street at all. I will tow it to the strip or to shows. Compression will be around 13-14 to 1 and it ISN'T gonna run on pump gas at all. 4-series rear end and a very high stall speed...it just won't be a car that is "fun" to drive on anything but a drag strip. And that's how I like it :)

Dep

Quick Reply: does anyone still have the A.I.R on their car?