C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody deleted A\C and Heat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 12:17 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Anybody deleted A\C and Heat?

Purest may want to kill me for considering this. :smash: but I pulled the A\C box of of the firewall this morning since I am definately deleting the A\C. It was a good thing I did remove it to. You wouldn't believe the leaves twigs bugs and other crap that came out of the fan area. :eek: Anyway I was looking at what needed to be done to change to a non A\C car and I got to thinking why do I need the heat anyway? The car is a convertible it will only see good weather driving. It was not #'s matching when I bought it so resale is not a concearn. I switched from a sb to a bb so the interior temps will probably go up anyway. I live in a fair weather climate so heat is not a must. I figured if I did ever want to put air back in I would just go with a vintage air unit.

What do you guys think?
Has anyone done this?
What did you use to cover the hole in the firewall?
Did you remove the under dash ducts and box as well?
What did you do to eliminate the hole in the shift plate? Aluminum cover?
Any other comments?

Old 02-21-2004, 12:26 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anybody deleted A\C and Heat? (BlackRat)

I agree, but I am keeping the heat when I want to cruise when it's cool outside. I like taking the tops off even when it's 50 degrees out, but you'll easily freeze your nuts off if you don't at least have some heat blowing on your feet .
Old 02-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I to removed all my AC stuff. I left the heat alone because I never go out in the bad weather, but I once got caught in the rain and needed the defroster. None of my AC worked when I got the car and it cost to much to fix so I just removed everything and it made it a lot easier to work on. I left the box in place but removed the compressor, dryer, hoses and all brackets on my 81.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Anybody deleted A\C and Heat? (Richard Cooper)

I answered this topic once :lol: , unfortunately due to working 16 & 12hr shifts the last three weeks I have'nt progressed any farther than my last answer :lolg: Pics forth coming(yeah right :_dupe: )
Old 02-21-2004, 08:47 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: Anybody deleted A\C and Heat? (Paul Borowski)

Paul,

you didn't get rid of your heat altogether though did you? I knew that you were eliminating your a\c nd going back with a non a\c firewall box. What mademe star thinking about eliminating the heat as well is how clean everything looks without it. :yesnod:

Also does anyone know if the old AC Cobra cars had heat in them? This is another thing that got me thinking about deleting all the climate stuff.

Thanks
Wade
Old 02-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I didn't do it but Bubba before me did. No AC and no heat. No heat isn't so bad unless we're out driving below 30deg. That doesn't happen very often.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:46 PM
killervette666
Drifting

Default Re: Anybody deleted A\C and Heat? (Jughead)

You can't get rid of the heater box completly w/o tearing apart the dash, i myself have removed the A/C and the A/C box on the outside of the firewall, but its nearly impossible to get the whole heaterbox out w/o tearing apart half the car. :chevy
Old 02-21-2004, 10:12 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: Anybody deleted A\C and Heat? (killervette666)

You can't get rid of the heater box completly w/o tearing apart the dash,
Aparently you aren't familiar with project Black Rat :yesnod: Everything is already torn apart. I am entering the reassembly phase so I need to make the tough decisions. At this point I can go in about any direction. :yesnod: Thanks for the reply though. :thumbs:

Wade
Old 02-23-2004, 03:31 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Wanted to see if I could get anymore specific answers to the questions.

Thanks
Wade
Old 02-23-2004, 03:40 PM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

BlackRat, I did the same thing to my car 2 years ago when we did the conversion to the BB. I wanted to make the engine compartment cleaner looking and also save on the weight. I had a aluminum plate made to fit over the hole and sealed it against moisture and dirt. I did not remove anything on the inside of the car. Living in Michigan it could be a problem w\o heat but I have not had any problems and don't plan on driving in cold weather. I did save all of the parts so if someday I sell the car it could be put back together.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only problem I see is that once in a blue moon when you need to defog the windsheild.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:07 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Default Re: Anybody deleted A\C and Heat? (Fevre)

You can remove the AC box and entire heating assembly without tearing apart the dash, you just have to remove the passenger side lower dash panel, no big deal.
I removed both the AC and heat from my '74 last year. I only drive it in good weather, and in Houston the heater is rarely needed. I agree that the defroster would be useful if you ever drive in the rain, but I try to avoid that.
I made a plate out of aluminum sheet to block off the opening, it looks pretty good, don't have any pictures though. I left the control unit on the console just to fill the space, and so the interior appears totally stock.
I also saved all the parts "just in case"
Old 02-23-2004, 04:11 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I removed my heater assembly.. Didn't need it anyway here in Florida... :D
Old 02-23-2004, 04:41 PM
mox 77
Instructor

Default Re: Anybody deleted A\C and Heat? (GrandSportC3)

I also have removed the AC, but reinstalled the big box. If anyone has photos of a fabricated (aluminum?) replacement plate, I, and I'm sure others,
would be appreciative. When the box was off, I spent much time, and beer, trying to figure how to construct such a plate but, because the firewall is not flat at that area, gave up.
Thanks
Old 02-23-2004, 07:49 PM
mainelaker
Cruising

Default Re: Anybody deleted A\C and Heat? (mox 77)

Has anyone removed the AC box & kept their heat? I've been considering doing this myself, who needs AC with the tops off :D

[Modified by mainelaker, 7:50 PM 2/23/2004]
Old 02-23-2004, 09:26 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Default Re: Anybody deleted A\C and Heat? (mox 77)

Maybe the box is different on a '77, but for my '74 I just cut a rectangle plate of sheet aluminum, bolted it in place using factory mounting holes, and sealed the edges from the inside with caulk, no problems. The thing to remember with an AC car is that the hole where the fan was mounted does not connect to your interior, that was the suction side of the fan, therefore you don't need to block it off. I'll try to get a picture posted, but this was a really quick and easy block off on my '74.
Jeff
Old 02-23-2004, 09:50 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: Anybody deleted A\C and Heat? (no_radio)

I just can't decide. :confused: I am leaning towards taking it out all together and then fabricating a plate to cover the hole like others have suggested. The only thing that makes me think twice is the defrost thing. But still not sure. If any of you can post some pics of a fabricated plate I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Wade :cheers:
Old 02-24-2004, 07:15 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Paul,

you didn't get rid of your heat altogether though did you? I knew that you were eliminating your a\c nd going back with a non a\c firewall box.
Thanks
Wade
Wade, no, I'm making mine like a factory "correct" non-A/C car with all the correct non-A/C parts. I pretty much drive my '75 year round as long as the roads are dry & salt-free. :yesnod: Even when it's under 30* :lol:
Old 02-24-2004, 09:22 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

See my sig!! There's a big hole where the heater box/core used to be. I have a template for a sheet of aluminum that I'm going to cut out and bolt over the hole. It'll give me a nice flat spot to mount my PCM, fuses, and relays for the LS1. I want to see if I can get that stuff mounted on the inside, it just depends on if the wiring harness is long enough. I removed everything from under the dash, but I'm going to leave the controls intact, so that the interior looks original. I'm not a big fan of customizing interiors with metal plates and the like.

Edit: Woo hoo... post #900.... (I don't post 20x a day, so that's why it's taken 2+ years to get this many)

[Modified by Scooter70, 9:43 PM 2/24/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody deleted A\C and Heat?

Quick Reply: Anybody deleted A\C and Heat?